Author Topic: Windshield electric drive problem??  (Read 1189 times)

Offline instructor

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11886
  • Membership Level: Active
Windshield electric drive problem??
« on: August 22, 2015, 10:50:39 am »
Bike is '12 model bought new w/ plenty of warranty left(some 9000 miles on it) and last month or so noticed that upon starting bike and windshield rising to top position would hesitate/stop and then go on up.  I have a good dealer and could easily take to him but frankly don't want to "down the bike" with good riding still remaining this season.  I have the Svc. Manual and curious if removing the windshield to reveal the drive system and inspecting is a major project??  My thinking is that the bike sat for quite a while and  perhaps the cables need some lubricant/grease??  This does not happen every time on start up but figure if it's not taken care of soon it will become a problem.  All help appreciated.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Windshield electric drive problem??
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 11:25:19 am »
Bike is '12 model bought new w/ plenty of warranty left(some 9000 miles on it) and last month or so noticed that upon starting bike and windshield rising to top position would hesitate/stop and then go on up.  I have a good dealer and could easily take to him but frankly don't want to "down the bike" with good riding still remaining this season.  I have the Svc. Manual and curious if removing the windshield to reveal the drive system and inspecting is a major project??  My thinking is that the bike sat for quite a while and  perhaps the cables need some lubricant/grease??  This does not happen every time on start up but figure if it's not taken care of soon it will become a problem.  All help appreciated.

It's not difficult to get the mechanism exposed and it might just be a simple problem with the grit or lack of lubrication.  Just remove the windshield and the panel underneath it and the works are right there.  My tip is to be careful when taking the windshield off as it tends to stick to the support brackets.  Work it loose gently.  Also don't over-tighten when putting it back on or you'll crack it.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline kawcon14rider

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8557
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 12:19:50 pm »
If you return to your dealer be sure to have stock windshield on the bike. There have been cases Kaw did not to want to cover some problems on bikes with after market windshields.
Sammie Timmons  COG# 8557  CDA#0291  AMA# 818592 SCAAD 74 GT380 totaled  74 GT750 totaled  80 GS850 totaled  05 Vulcan 750 traded  08 C14 my baby  08 Versys (my wife's) 2012 Ninja 250 [thanks Kawasaki for the gift]

Offline instructor

• Road Bike
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 12:56:59 pm »
Ok, thanks for the replies. Did at one time attempt to remove the shield, but seemed to be stuck and did not want to force it for fear of breaking something.  Going to ride today but couple rainy days next week and will dive into it then.  Windshield is "issue" and have read that even replacing with newest factory version is not approved by Kawasaki or aftermarket ones as well.  I can understand replacing factory shield with much larger one for adds more stress to the system, but would have thought the new vented one from factory would be OK?? Live and learn.

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11953
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 07:53:37 pm »
Just curious - are you saying you start the bike and have it programmed to go to the top setting?

I would trying putting it up and down while riding and see if there is any difference or if it runs smoothly while riding vs. setting still.

I doubt that the bike sitting caused the problem - but I can't say for sure.

You have a service manual, right?  It should show you almost everything you need to know about that system.
Don't be afraid to work on your bike - you will understand it better the more you work on it.  IMO.

Offline instructor

• Road Bike
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 08:10:31 pm »
Yes I do have it programmed to go to top position upon start up, but from time to time it will hesitate/stop for a second or two and then go on up.  I do alter the height of the windshield while riding due to need for more or less wind/air and using the rocker switch to do this works fine.  I do have the Serv. Manual and I will take the windshield apart and check it out and you are right, will have better understanding of how "things" work on the bike.  Changed air filter and hesitant to do so at first, but now that I did it, no problems, just a PIA type job.