Author Topic: Just made a purchase from AST  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Bonedizzle

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Just made a purchase from AST
« on: March 31, 2016, 07:57:06 pm »
Just made my first purchase with AST for a set of pull-back adapters to mount to my existing 2inch risers. I got the shipping confirmation 41 minutes after I placed my order. Heres hoping this transaction goes smooth and easy and everything shows up. But so far I am happy with that response time. I will post again when I receive the item.

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11953
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Just made a purchase from AST
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 11:14:11 pm »
Please do report back as I'm considering the same purchase.

If you could take some pictures too, that would help me.   :great:
I see that say they are not for the Gen I bikes because of the storage case.
I have a Gen II but did add the Gen I storage case and would like to see pictures so
I can see if they might work for me or if I might be able to modify something to make them work.

Good Luck.

Offline Sandy

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 12:05:13 am »
Who/what is AST please?
New Jersey CMA Area Rep.  Vietnam Vet 68/69 USMC  01 Connie  02 Wing  00 Custom V Twin 105hp  sandycmanj@yahoo.com

Offline n3nman

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12142
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 12:07:20 am »
I ordered the pull back plates as well a couple of weeks ago. They shipped the next day and received them a couple days later no problems.

Offline old fart

• Moped
  • I dabbled in pacifism once
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11585
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 01:20:00 am »
Who/what is AST please?
Advanced Sport Touring. Some people have had issues with customer service in the past.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here"

09 Connie(totaled)
14 Connie with SiSF flash

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11111
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 01:28:16 am »
Just be sure to cover your butt with a major credit card or Paypal.

'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 09:37:47 am »
When I ordered my set of pull backs from AST I had 'em in 3 days. That's my one and only purchase but no issues at all.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline Gscott

• Mini Bike
  • 09 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12413
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 02:18:27 pm »
Flat spot don't count on paypal if seller says it is a custom part they say it is not covered under user agreement, as I just found out with a P.O.S. Baldwin seat.

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 07:50:00 pm »
Uh oh,  that's 2 people recently not happy with Baldwin. 

Gscott...good to know about the "custom" BS, thanks.

I just had a successful $155 dispute with Paypal over a top box the guy never sent...and wouldn't respond to any correspondence.  He disappeared from the forums.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 06:23:33 am by Flat-spot »
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline RodneyW

• Mini Bike
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 03:36:33 am »
I'm using the pullback riser on an '09 and could not be happier.  They were not supposed to work, and were true to their word when I first tried them, but I'm now using a set up that many of you will question, but I am quite happy with.  I have nerve issues with both hands, and thought I would never get to a position on the connie that worked.  I was contemplating Helibars but hated the thought of spending that much.  I ended up with:  two 2 inch risers (total=4 inches), murphs wedges, AND the AST pullbacks.  And some long bolts.  And hydraulic extensions from Helibars.  I know that this is not very sporty, but it has been a godsend for me.  The connie went from one of the most uncomfortable bikes I've owned to the most comfortable.  And keep your "shoulda bought a goldwing" comments to yourself- I can still drag pegs when I want to!  It is such a great machine, I just didn't want to give up trying to be comfortable.  I went from tolerating it to planning my first Iron Butt.  To get back on topic, AST service was first rate, but I have to admit that if I had found anyone else that sold the risers, I would have gone there.  Just too much bad press here, without any type of response at all from AST.

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 03:39:55 am »
Flat spot don't count on paypal if seller says it is a custom part they say it is not covered under user agreement, as I just found out with a P.O.S. Baldwin seat.

Are canyon cages a custom part? I am havi g issures with a shipper,would jot respond to my emIl until I td him I am goi g to do a paypal claim.

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 06:18:42 am »
Canyon Cages are (limited) production.  I would say no, not "custom".
'08 C14

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 03:50:58 pm »
I'm using the pullback riser on an '09 and could not be happier.  They were not supposed to work, and were true to their word when I first tried them, but I'm now using a set up that many of you will question, but I am quite happy with.  I have nerve issues with both hands, and thought I would never get to a position on the connie that worked.  I was contemplating Helibars but hated the thought of spending that much.  I ended up with:  two 2 inch risers (total=4 inches), murphs wedges, AND the AST pullbacks.  And some long bolts.  And hydraulic extensions from Helibars.  I know that this is not very sporty, but it has been a godsend for me.  The connie went from one of the most uncomfortable bikes I've owned to the most comfortable.  And keep your "shoulda bought a goldwing" comments to yourself- I can still drag pegs when I want to!  It is such a great machine, I just didn't want to give up trying to be comfortable.  I went from tolerating it to planning my first Iron Butt.  To get back on topic, AST service was first rate, but I have to admit that if I had found anyone else that sold the risers, I would have gone there.  Just too much bad press here, without any type of response at all from AST.

I would really like to SEE a few pictures of this setup.

Hope you have a camera and can post some images.

Thanks.  :great:

Offline RodneyW

• Mini Bike
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 01:36:22 pm »

I've tried to post pics a few times, but the post just never appears.  Any suggestions?

Offline RodneyW

• Mini Bike
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 02:09:35 pm »

Thanks for the pic posting help, Flat-spot

Pics as requested.  I know it is a funky looking setup, but I am 100% happy with the result.  This took a bit of trial and error, but everything works perfectly, even that wonderful little glove box (AKA oven).  The only downside that I noticed is that my seating position is further back, which gives me slightly more wind.  I have a Laam seat. and I had Seth build the "pocket" back just a tad to accommodate the more relaxed seating.  I know that this isn't for everyone, but I had to do something to make the bike work for me.  I've had two other connie riders take her for a spin, and both are shooting for the same setup. 

Offline Bikersuzzz

• Moped
  • Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12352
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 02:33:27 pm »
I bought a set of AST pullback risers for my C14 last month along with a set of wedges from Murph's, a lowering kit from Soupy's and a top box from my local Kawasaki dealership.

They were all ordered on the same day and came in this order :
1- Soupy's lowering kit
2- Murph's wedges
3- Kawasaki Top case
4- AST pullback risers

I had everything in about two weeks... For ordering from the States into Canada, that's very good.  Stuff sometimes gets delayed for a while at customs. 

I'm quite pleased with everything I got and will admit that I was a little nervous about ordering from AST after all I had read here about their less than perfect customer service, and as mentioned earlier in this post, if someone else had made a similar product I would have gone there.  But all in all I am VERY happy with everything I got.  So it looks like AST might have stepped up to the plate because I've been reading a lot of posts recently from happy AST customers.

And since we are on the subject of customer service...  There was a small part missing in my Soupy's order.  I sent them an email and got a response within minutes.  The issue was resolved right away and they sent the part the next day.

Now all I need is nice weather so that all those modifications can be made and I can go riding!

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 05:12:16 pm »

Pics as requested.  I know it is a funky looking setup, but I am 100% happy with the result.  This took a bit of trial and error, but everything works perfectly, even that wonderful little glove box (AKA oven).  The only downside that I noticed is that my seating position is further back, which gives me slightly more wind.  I have a Laam seat. and I had Seth build the "pocket" back just a tad to accommodate the more relaxed seating.  I know that this isn't for everyone, but I had to do something to make the bike work for me.  I've had two other connie riders take her for a spin, and both are shooting for the same setup.

Thank You for the images.   :great:

Now just to make it perfectly clear - You HAD to add extensions or longer brake and clutch lines to that setup, right?

The risers and/or handlebars Do Not touch the "oven" is that right?  Or is there a slight touch of the box at full left or right?

If only 3.625 height was used would it still work and NOT touch the box?  [I have 1.625 risers and wedges now so adding 2" would be 3.625] Still need hose extensions?  Or, Do you think 4" is the minimum needed to clear the box?

I really feel if they were about 1" farther back towards me it would be the ideal setup.  I assume they also have to go UP to clear the box
which would be OK for me.

Thanks for your help.

Offline RodneyW

• Mini Bike
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2016, 05:31:30 pm »

Thank You for the images.   :great:

Now just to make it perfectly clear - You HAD to add extensions or longer brake and clutch lines to that setup, right?

The risers and/or handlebars Do Not touch the "oven" is that right?  Or is there a slight touch of the box at full left or right?

If only 3.625 height was used would it still work and NOT touch the box?  [I have 1.625 risers and wedges now so adding 2" would be 3.625] Still need hose extensions?  Or, Do you think 4" is the minimum needed to clear the box?

I really feel if they were about 1" farther back towards me it would be the ideal setup.  I assume they also have to go UP to clear the box
which would be OK for me.

Thanks for your help.

Absolutely.  Things were pulled way too tight otherwise, like not even close.  The extensions were cheap and super easy to install also, I would add them even without the additional 2 inches of rise just to make things work better.  I looked at getting all new lines, but they were far more expensive, and I just didn’t want to invest hundreds for the same result.  The new lines would look better, but my handlebars already look like Dr Frankenstein had a hand in designing, so I figured the extensions would work.

The risers will contact the oven on full turn.  I only open it to open the garage door, so that didn’t matter to me.  I would glue it down if it meant I could ride in comfort!

I looked at mine again, and believe that your 3.625 would clear.  You would absolutely need extensions though.  Again, easy to do.   

I really feel if they were about 1" farther back towards me it would be the ideal setup.  I assume they also have to go UP to clear the box which would be OK for me.   

The 1” further was what I was after also, I added the extra 2” block to accomplish it (clear the box), but lucked into a situation that felt great.  It was not close to clearing the box with just the 2” risers. 

Good luck!

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 02:32:53 pm »
Thanks again RodneyW.

Few more things.  Where did you get the extensions from?  Cost?

I assume you changed the clutch and brake fluid when you added the extensions.

Throttle cables and wires were OK - right?

Did you use Stainless Steel bolts?

Offline RodneyW

• Mini Bike
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 02:56:38 pm »
Thanks again RodneyW.

Few more things.  Where did you get the extensions from?  Cost?

I assume you changed the clutch and brake fluid when you added the extensions.

Throttle cables and wires were OK - right?

Did you use Stainless Steel bolts?

I got the extensions from Helibars.  I called them because they do not show the correct one online, plus I wanted to be sure of what I was getting.  800-289-1047.  $30 for each line, total 2. 

I went ahead and changed out all of my hydraulic fluids when I added the extensions, was just a good time to do it.  I'm the second owner, and the first owner didn't do a great job of maintaining things, so I knew it was time.  Pretty murky stuff too.

All other cables were fine after a bit of rerouting, that part took about 5 minutes.

I used steel alloy bolts from Fastnal.  I was looking for my receipt to give you measurement, but cannot seem to find it.  I do not remember if stainless was an alternative.  If you end up having to trim the bolts, stainless is less fun to deal with.  I can't imagine you need more strength than the steel alloy anyway, as I believe that the bars would break off long before my bolts would break. This is by design I believe.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 03:12:05 am by RodneyW »

Offline Bonedizzle

• Bicycle
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 05:05:47 pm »
adapter plates came in Saturday and are already installed. 2 days to get the part, so I am happy.

Offline daigs

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12259
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 08:25:56 pm »
Nice write up and thanks for the knowledge and pics!