Author Topic: Pin the side cases?  (Read 5712 times)

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
  • Fanboy, Sludge wearer, Proud Rotella user !
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10785
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Pin the side cases?
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2016, 03:15:39 am »
I bought the push pins with the t-handle, I think the balls are very small and if using them you better not have any sloppy holes or they may not be a good fit. :-[
Any of the pins that have been shown on this thread have the same size ball, 3/16 is a small pin. If you make a mistake & drill the hole to big you can always put a washer on the back side that has the same inside diameter as the pin size  :beerchug:
2012 Kawasaki Concours, Arabian Red
1986 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1983 Honda V45 Sabre, Red

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2016, 03:41:10 am »
I bought the push pins with the t-handle, I think the balls are very small and if using them you better not have any sloppy holes or they may not be a good fit. :-[
Any of the pins that have been shown on this thread have the same size ball, 3/16 is a small pin. If you make a mistake & drill the hole to big you can always put a washer on the back side that has the same inside diameter as the pin size  :beerchug:

Thanks for both ideas, I like the pins.

Offline old n slow

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2016, 02:59:22 pm »
An idea that was fairly common with the other brand of bike I used to ride was to write your name and phone number on the bottom OUTSIDE of the side cases. Then if the case comes off and is found, the good samaritan doesnt have to break the latch to see if there is contact info inside the case.
Mike D.   

old n slow...it's my way of life☺

Offline Kirk

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12319
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2016, 03:11:30 pm »
I searched a lot of threads,can someone tell me what years this was an issue with?Thanks

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2016, 03:30:33 pm »
I searched a lot of threads,can someone tell me what years this was an issue with?Thanks

I haven't read that is a year issue, maybe a latch issue,or a operator not mounting it right issue, I am thinking if it is pinned it won't come off .

Offline Kirk

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12319
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2016, 03:36:51 pm »
Thanks,it does seem like a really good idea,and I kn ow some 2008 models were recalled for this type of problem,I just don't like to do unnecessary work to my bike if I can avoid it.Mostly just a work avoidance thing on my part,you know...

Offline TLR

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11171
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2016, 04:25:35 am »
One comment:  I pinned my bags a couple years ago, and if I had it to do over, I'd try the eBay gizmos.

Depends on whether you take the bags on and off a lot, I guess.

For me, I can't park the bike in my garage with the bags on, so I have to take them off and put them on, and I do that a LOT, since I ride with the bags about 80% of the time.

The pins slip in easily or with difficulty, depending on temperature.  Also whether your bags are full or empty.  Lining up the holes is the issue.  Holes must locate precisely, and that changes.  Sometime the pins go in easy, and sometimes I have to jiggle the bags or really force the pins in.  No great biggy;  just annoying.

Just fyi.
1982 Suzuki SP250Z
1994 Suzuki VS800GL Intruder
2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400 (the fast red color)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2016, 05:13:35 am »
An idea that was fairly common with the other brand of bike I used to ride was to write your name and phone number on the bottom OUTSIDE of the side cases. Then if the case comes off and is found, the good samaritan doesnt have to break the latch to see if there is contact info inside the case.
well, that's all well and good, and will be fine, unless you carry a $1000 handgun, or a checkbook, or anything worthy of "keeping" when it explodes on an ejection. Your history notes you as someone not aware to the last 9 years of this issue, so I will just be quiet, and let you make your decisions based on facts. Please do the research.

ride safe

and for others' even though there was a recall. and latches were replaced, there still seems to be some ambiguity with "is it fixed"..
my answer is... no, just reduced chances..

Only sure answer is to add some actual physical retention, over what you have now...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:17:13 am by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2016, 05:26:57 am »

when I posted the procedure, I noted to drill a 1/8" hole, as a pilot... and then follow up with a 3/16" drill bit. and to be cautious not to wobble and enlarge the hole, simply drill a straight hole.
I have no issue with my pins or application, they fit tight, and never come out.

man, sometimes cheap and simple seems soo hard to convey to people.
over and out.. signing off.......have a nice day... ymmv...

but if you really want the BEST retainers, send me a p/m, I have been manufacturing them in my secret labmatory, underneath my house, using imported Saskatchewan Seal Skin binding materials, and the price is a bit high, but hey, this is the internet... and I can sell for whatever I find someone will pay...  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline gripnrip

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2016, 08:13:13 pm »
I bought the saddlebag retainer clips from ebay when I got the bike 3 years ago (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Concours-14-GTR-1400-All-Years-Saddlebag-Retaining-Brackets-/281988294971?hash=item41a7cfe93b:m:mdGKJ3leZzehEG9NroLGOSw&vxp=mtr I don't know if that is the same seller, but same piece). 

For $20, it was worth the piece of mind.  I rarely take the bags off so pining would have been an option as well, but I like this is cheap and easy, but keeps them from popping off (if that really was still an issue on the 2012's). 
2012 C14
2015 FJ09

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
  • Fanboy, Sludge wearer, Proud Rotella user !
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10785
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2016, 09:37:43 pm »

when I posted the procedure, I noted to drill a 1/8" hole, as a pilot... and then follow up with a 3/16" drill bit. and to be cautious not to wobble and enlarge the hole, simply drill a straight hole.
I have no issue with my pins or application, they fit tight, and never come out.

man, sometimes cheap and simple seems soo hard to convey to people.
over and out.. signing off.......have a nice day... ymmv...

but if you really want the BEST retainers, send me a p/m, I have been manufacturing them in my secret labmatory, underneath my house, using imported Saskatchewan Seal Skin binding materials, and the price is a bit high, but hey, this is the internet... and I can sell for whatever I find someone will pay...  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Not hard to convey at all, I used the same one's as you for years & they work great, I was just showing something that I thought was a great alternative. I don't sell the things so I have nothing to gain. Everyone please disregard the pins I thought were nice & just use some wire, It's even cheaper I must convey to all you people. Me, I think I'm going to wait for the Saskatchewan Seal Skin one's to become available  :whoo: 
2012 Kawasaki Concours, Arabian Red
1986 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1983 Honda V45 Sabre, Red

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2016, 12:04:35 am »
The pins with the t-handles are more expensive and if my holes are drilled right they will be a lot easier to pull out then any of the other pins or wires I have saw here.