Author Topic: Winter Storage  (Read 1421 times)

Offline JimO

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10132
  • Membership Level: Active
Winter Storage
« on: November 29, 2015, 01:58:56 am »
I know this has been covered before but I can't seem to find the thread for recommendations for putting the bike up for the winter. Any help out there?  Thanks.
Artaxerxes had served with great reputation in the armies of Artaban, the last king of the Parthians, and it appears he was driven into exile and rebellion by royal ingratitude, the customary reward for superior merit.
- Gibbon, The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Winter Storage
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 10:50:33 am »
If it's going to sit for more than a month or so, I suggest you do the following:

1) Get as much of the Ethanol-laced gasoline out and find some E0 (Ethanol free) gasoline and fill it up.  Alternatively, use some quality fuel stabilizer to keep the Ethanol from separating and making a mess of things.
2) Change the engine oil and filter.  I also prefer to change the final drive oil at every oil change.
3) If it's been more than a year, flush your brake and clutch fluid and use new DOT4.
4) If it's been more than a year, flush the coolant.
5) While you have the plastics off, check the air filter and replace if necessary.
6) If you haven't done so already, install a battery tender pigtail so you can keep it on a tender all winter.
7) Hope for an early Spring!

2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Red Fox

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11691
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 11:12:31 am »
If it's going to sit for more than a month or so, I suggest you do the following:

1) Get as much of the Ethanol-laced gasoline out and find some E0 (Ethanol free) gasoline and fill it up.  Alternatively, use some quality fuel stabilizer to keep the Ethanol from separating and making a mess of things.
6) If you haven't done so already, install a battery tender pigtail so you can keep battery on a tender all winter. 

This ^^^ is what I do.  Mine is in an attached garage, seldom gets below freezing inside. 
I start it/run it every 2 or 4 weeks in vertical orientation for 1/2 minute. 
Ride for short distances if weather is OK.

Have a friend in town who doesn't mess with ethanol free or fuel stabilizer or battery tender, and his C14 runs just fine.
Similar storage, but he rides his more often in winter than I do.
TryCities, WA.    2011  C-14, silver;  62,000 miles.

Offline Mike

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum Subscr
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 12:54:06 pm »
I do as Red Fox.  Bike stays on battery tender when not ridden all the time.  I do my oil changes in spring when riding season starts and have done so for 40 years.  I have a 2 mile loop around our neighbor hood and will make the ride a few laps every 3-4 weeks after letting it warm up.  I do it on my Harley Ultra as well.  Some may say it is the wrong way but its always worked.   :beerchug:
Longest Ride: Virginia (past home) to Key West
Best Ride: Entire BRP North to South
2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 r aka The Beast
2013 Concours 14
2011 Harley Ultra Limited all blacked out!

Offline JimO

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 10132
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 02:17:11 pm »
Thanks, folks. I do the battery tender whenever the bike isn't in use so that part is done. Pain to take the little cover off though.
Artaxerxes had served with great reputation in the armies of Artaban, the last king of the Parthians, and it appears he was driven into exile and rebellion by royal ingratitude, the customary reward for superior merit.
- Gibbon, The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

Offline Jim

• Scooter
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 02:32:50 pm »
Thanks, folks. I do the battery tender whenever the bike isn't in use so that part is done. Pain to take the little cover off though.

Route your pigtail under that cover to the outside so that you don't have to take it off to charge the battery.  :beerchug:

Offline Throttle 8

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12220
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 03:26:32 pm »
^^^^^^^What he said!  :great:
I just installed mine yesterday. The pigtail can be routed towards the rear and will tuck in beside the plastic and frame when not being used.
2014  C14 ABS (Metallic Spark Black)
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline flashback50

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 09:19:47 pm »
I never crank my bike if I'm not going to ride at least 20 miles. Any less and you don't burn the condensation out of the oil. Running for very short time only contributes to higher  amount of condensation.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 09:25:45 pm by flashback50 »