Author Topic: Winterizing  (Read 3033 times)

Offline Collybus

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9381
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Winterizing
« on: October 27, 2014, 09:52:09 pm »
Tried a search, pretty much only came up with a thread on sexy chicks. Go figure.   ::)

I have always brought my 2011 C14 into the dealership in November for winter hibernation. For about $500 they keep it in warm storage, keep the battery charged, change out the fluids and give it an inspection sticker in April.

This year I feel like going cheap. It's going to need new shoes and probably some other outside-routine-type maintenance, so I figure I'll keep it in my unheated shed and bring it to the shop in April for all that stuff.

My questions: aside from some fuel stablizer, what else should I be doing? I think I should take the battery out and keep it in the house. Trickle charge all winter? Does taking out the battery screw up any of the bike's electronics, computers, etc?

Thanks for your advice.

Bob

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Winterizing
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 10:01:19 pm »
Tried a search, pretty much only came up with a thread on sexy chicks. Go figure.   ::)

Link please...  :popcorn:

BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Collybus

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 10:22:50 pm »

Link please...  :popcorn:

Yeah....she wasn't that sexy. 

Offline Charby

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11182
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 12:44:28 am »
I put more gas in mine to winterize it. In the 80s today. :))

Offline Old Steve

• Moped
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10537
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 12:47:29 am »
I put more gas in mine to winterize it. In the 80s today. :))

That's what I was going to say!  I'm hoping in a couple of weeks I'll be able to leave my cool vest at home.

Offline Red Fox

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11691
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 03:51:37 am »
Well, my winterizing will begin in earnest; Thanksgiving going to Presidents' wknd in Feb.

Winterizing for me consists of last couple tankfuls being ethanol-free fuel, add stabilizer, leave battery in bike
but hook up 2 amp charger/maintainer (Sears DieHard, probably functionally similar to Battery Tender Plus)
every 3 weeks.  Start bike and have it run (even if don't ride it) once for 15 minutes every month
(I make sure i get bike vertical, so oil is evenly distributed up top). 

Unheated, but attached insulated garage, usually above 32F.  Warmed by car driving in hot.
No problems so far for several bikes over the years.  If your garage is down around 10F, I don't have relevant experience. 

Best, would guess you could do it fine on your own.  But I'm not there.
TryCities, WA.    2011  C-14, silver;  62,000 miles.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 05:52:19 am »
Start bike and have it run (even if don't ride it) once for 15 minutes every month

I I understand the desire to start and run the bike once in awhile, BUT 15 minutes isn't going to make everything hot enough to burn off condensation. I think you are better off riding on nice winter days a minimum of 15 miles to get things limbered up. This will circulate the oil through the transmission and bring it up to temp as well. 

When I bought my 09 it was DEC 16th 08. Of course I had to fire it up in my garage when ever a friend came over to see it. I always waited for the fans to run before shutting it off. In the spring to my horror, the oil gauge window had white foam around the inside  which was caused by condensation.

Now if I get the urge to start the bike, I make sure I go for a ride for at least 15 miles as stated above. (seems like it is always a bit further) The goal is a ride at least once every month. Fuel is topped back off and treated as needed. I also store the bike on the center stand.

As for the battery, I put a trickle charger on it about every week or so. Two weeks are the longest between charges. This goes for both bikes.

Just making a suggestion.  Tim
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Kman

• Moped
  • COG#: 10569
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 08:37:23 am »
Some suggestions:

1. Keep tank completely topped off and properly treated with stabilizer. Make sure to run with stabilized fuel so that it gets to all parts of the fuel injection.
2. Change engine oil & filter, final drive lube
3. Keep battery on tender or take battery out
4. Make sure that bike it put away clean & waxed
5. Cover muffler with plastic to avoid condensation
6. Deflate tires to ~30 lbs
7. Make sure to cover & place mothballs & peppermint oil saturated gauze in key places to keep critters out
8. Change insurance policy to winter layover coverage (big savings)
9. Periodically during winter a) rotate front tire to avoid flat spots b) operate clutch and brakes c) turn rear shock preload adjuster to prevent binding d) inspect bike carefully for signs of nests e) turn electronics on (if battery connected)

Some additional thoughts:

This is also a good time to grease the brake, clutch, and gear lever pivot bolts as well as the side and center stands. Also flushing and replacing the brake and clutch fluids.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 12:47:59 pm by Kman »
2012 Black, PR4GTs, Guhl Flash, CS1 Slip-on, Blaster X Brake Flasher, Cree 10W Lights, H4 Extreme Bulbs, Baldwin Heated Seat, Screaming Banshee Horn, MRA VarioTouring Screen, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, ProjectD Radiator Guard, Front & Rear Fender Extenders, Techspec Snakeskin Saddlebag Protectors, Techmount GPS Bracket, OEM Tank Guard, 47L Top Bag, Helmet Locks, ProjectD Kickstand Bigfoot

Offline Red Fox

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 10:41:28 pm »
...  Just making a suggestion.  Tim

Thanks, Tim.  Your experience counts.

Offline Red Fox

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 11:41:07 pm »
Some suggestions:
5. Cover muffler with plastic to avoid condensation

#5 In my area the purpose would be to prevent mice from building nests inside the muffler. 
I've folded aluminum foil over the exhaust exit.

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 11:50:02 pm »
Wow,
Sounds ;like a fair amount of work. Here's what I do;
Add Sta-Bil to tank.
Go to gas station and fill up.
Pull bike under carport.
Hope for a nice day to ride soon.
Battery Tender.

Matt

2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline Andrew

• Scooter
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10516
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 02:39:05 pm »
I generally wash and change the oil.  Followed by a final ride with a fill up.  I then place it in the garage and wait for the next nice day to ride.  The last two years, the longest I had been without riding was 5-6 weeks.  My battery lasted that long, although it had to turn over a few times to start.  And that was with the stock battery from 2009.  I try to get out and ride at least once a month and fill up before I return.  I have only used fuel additives/stabilizers with my carb'd motorcycles.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 06:35:42 pm »
Andrew, you have been lucky. I lost the OEM battery on my 09 after it sat for about three weeks without charging or running the motor. Warranty replaced the battery but still.........The replacement battery was maint free lead, not glass. It cost about 1/3 that of the OEM.  Now granted there has been absolutely zero battery problems with the replacement battery but I still routinely charge with the battery tender if the bike sits longer than about two weeks.     
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Andrew

• Scooter
  • COG#: 10516
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 07:31:02 pm »
I know I was lucky.  I changed the battery out this May before my trip to the Grand Canyon, because it was starting to worry me (turning over slow when it was 60*F out), but I can't complain about 5+ years.  I will continue to do the same thing though.  Center-stand with front wheel on a piece of carpet and a full tank of gas so its ready to ride at a moments notice.

***Watch this be the year that my battery dies while sitting there after two or three weeks.  Should pry look into a tender I suppose since I started talking about how long my battery lasted.

Offline chamberlincalls

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9534
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 12:05:58 pm »
I rotate the Baker Air Wings to the "block" position; replace the 08 screen with an 09 screen.

Offline Red Fox

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 08:39:38 pm »
My questions: aside from some fuel stablizer, what else should I be doing?
I think I should take the battery out and keep it in the house.  Trickle charge all winter?
Does taking out the battery screw up any of the bike's electronics, computers, etc?

Thanks for your advice.

Bob

So did any of us answer Bob's question? I don't think I did, all I contributed was what I did.
I think that's what we mostly all did.

So my answer is your plan looks A-OK.  Just do it.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 10:52:58 pm »
Well, my winterizing will begin in earnest; Thanksgiving going to Presidents' wknd in Feb.

Winterizing for me consists of last couple tankfuls being ethanol-free fuel, add stabilizer, leave battery in bike
but hook up 2 amp charger/maintainer (Sears DieHard, probably functionally similar to Battery Tender Plus)
every 3 weeks.  Start bike and have it run (even if don't ride it) once for 15 minutes every month
(I make sure i get bike vertical, so oil is evenly distributed up top). 

Unheated, but attached insulated garage, usually above 32F.  Warmed by car driving in hot.
No problems so far for several bikes over the years.  If your garage is down around 10F, I don't have relevant experience. 

Best, would guess you could do it fine on your own.  But I'm not there.

2 a is way to high for maintenance cycling. Tenders are all at or below 1a, and make sure it has the cycle off circuitry, other wise it will ruin the batt...
If you do not intend on riding at all, pull the battery out of it, bring it inside where it,s warm and use a tender @ 1a with shuttoff circuit, if you don't have one, simply charge it with the 2a one, for a few hours, once a month. Pulling the batt is fine, won't effect anything on the bike at all...
Fill the tank, add Marine Stabil, place it on the center stand, and if you desire, stick a block under the engine to raise the front tier off the ground.. I find that a bit anal though, there is only 10# of weight in the tire on the centerstand.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Collybus

• Tricycle
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 11:56:11 am »
My questions: aside from some fuel stablizer, what else should I be doing?
I think I should take the battery out and keep it in the house.  Trickle charge all winter?
Does taking out the battery screw up any of the bike's electronics, computers, etc?

Thanks for your advice.

Bob

So did any of us answer Bob's question? I don't think I did, all I contributed was what I did.
I think that's what we mostly all did.

So my answer is your plan looks A-OK.  Just do it.

Lots of good answers, thank you.

I gather from the responses that removing the battery doesn't affect the electronics and/or computers in the C-14?

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 12:45:59 pm »
Collybus,
No problem pulling the battery. Only thing you lose is the clock and your running Avg fuel economy numbers.
Matt
2011 GSX1250 FA
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline Collybus

• Tricycle
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 09:53:17 pm »
Thank you.

Offline Ken

• Skinman
  • Mini Bike
  • Retired fireman, Vietnam, 101st ABN. 2/17 CAV
  • COG#: 11782
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2014, 12:34:32 am »
Sorry a lot of you people need to go to all that trouble in winter. I keep my bikes winterized buy keeping them on the road. It will be a tad more different this winter. Keeping my 05 Gold Wing and the new Concourse both winterized. But I think I can manage. Loving this Concourse. 

Offline JerBear

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12777
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2014, 01:39:11 am »
I'm pretty sure the "E" and the "S" is silent in Concours  ;D
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2014, 03:21:57 am »
I'm pretty sure the "E" and the "S" is silent in Concours  ;D
Actually there is no "E"
Matt
2011 GSX1250 FA
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline JS_racer

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 11:37:43 am »
I rotate the Baker Air Wings to the "block" position; replace the 08 screen with an 09 screen.

screens are the same  :beerchug:

09 & 10 are differrent

Offline Ken

• Skinman
  • Mini Bike
  • Retired fireman, Vietnam, 101st ABN. 2/17 CAV
  • COG#: 11782
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 04:28:46 am »
 As I learn the bike I will learn the spelling. LOL  ;)