Author Topic: Worn Discs 2010 GTR  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Tom

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Worn Discs 2010 GTR
« on: March 26, 2012, 10:21:55 am »
On Friday last, the bike received its 20,000 mile service. I was advised that the front discs were below the wear limit and required replacement. I have booked the bike in this Wednesday 28th and have been advised that the cost will be almost £700.
I am greatly shocked by this. I have ridden for many years and have never had to replace discs before. My previous bike was a Honda Blackbird with 70,000 miles when I sold it, and it was still on the original discs.
I do not believe that my riding style has changed, and although I acknowledge that the GTR is a heavy bike, I would not expect discs to wear in such a short time. If such wear is both normal and expected, I would question whether I can keep the bike as the running costs would become prohibitive.

Any of you guys had a similar experience
Thanks
Tom

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8442
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Worn Discs 2010 GTR
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 10:23:34 am »
Find another dealer.   If the discs are worn that quickly something is wrong and it should be a warranty item at any rate!!
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 01:18:00 pm »
I don't know how to respond to this. Part of me wants to feel outraged. But the other side of me knows that the C14 is well known for warping rotors. If they are not quite up to the job of stopping a 700lb bike, rider/gear (they are the same rotors as the much lighter ZX14). Well then is it so far fetched to have the rotors wearing under normal or even heavier than normal use?

Offline wendel

• Bicycle
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 04:57:11 pm »
I had 33,000 miles on my 08 before I traded it and never had a problem with the rotors. This mileage was in Florida, Georgia, both Carolinas and Tennessee with numerous rides on the Dragon and Cherohala. I say get an electronic micrometer and check them. If you were not feeling a pulsation, I would not believe the rotors are warped. The only problem I remember was the problem with rotors warping, and they were warranted. Some dealers convinced customers they had to replace the pads at their expense which was not a requirement from Kawi. Friend of mine had documentation from Kawi and called a dealer in Blairsville, Ga. on this issue.

Offline 2linby

• Iron Butt
  • I rode today, did you?
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 5539
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 05:05:27 pm »
On Friday last, the bike received its 20,000 mile service. I was advised that the front discs were below the wear limit and required replacement. I have booked the bike in this Wednesday 28th and have been advised that the cost will be almost £700.
I am greatly shocked by this. I have ridden for many years and have never had to replace discs before. My previous bike was a Honda Blackbird with 70,000 miles when I sold it, and it was still on the original discs.
I do not believe that my riding style has changed, and although I acknowledge that the GTR is a heavy bike, I would not expect discs to wear in such a short time. If such wear is both normal and expected, I would question whether I can keep the bike as the running costs would become prohibitive.

Any of you guys had a similar experience
Thanks
Tom

Tom borrow or buy a micrometer and measure the thickness yourself at various locations on your rotors. The thickness minimum should be stamped somewhere on the rotors themselves.

Are you sure they said "Disks"/ Meaning "Rotors" or did they say "Discks" meaning "Pads".  What they said and what they meant or what you heard might be two different things. Rotors don't wear out that fast, nor do pads under normal circumstances, but more so than rotors.

Someone here with a service manual please post the thickness and run-out specifications for the rotors both front and back.
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by" "Everything is simple, but nothing is easy".
Ex NWAD, AAD, COG #5539, IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor, Mentor 2001 Sonic Blue  166K and counting!
http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BBG)
http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip

Offline ChipDoc

• Sport Tourer
  • Work to ride - Ride to work!
  • COG#: 9934
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 10:01:57 pm »

Are you sure they said "Disks"/ Meaning "Rotors" or did they say "Discks" meaning "Pads".  What they said and what they meant or what you heard might be two different things. Rotors don't wear out that fast, nor do pads under normal circumstances, but more so than rotors.

I'm pretty sure they meant Rotors.  If PADS cost $1,100, I'd really hate to see what Rotors cost!
 >:(

Offline Tom

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 08:32:11 am »
Thanks for the responses guys.
It is the rotors (we call them discs!!)
I do not believe the dealer is shafting me, but I am in correspondence with kawasaki UK to see what their attitude is. Will keep you posted
Tom

Offline MidlifeCrisis

• Scooter
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 04:05:49 pm »
In case you do have to replace the rotors on your own dime... or uh, shillings... you can buy brand new discs off ebay and other places for a lot less than what your dealer is quoting you.

R&R the rotors is very straightfoward.  Only somewhat special tool is a large hex bit to remove the axle tube.  The brake caliper and front fender all come off with standard hex and allen key bits.  I just did it to changed the front tire a few weeks back.
'09 Concours ABS, Candy Diamond Red
'08 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory, Red Lion
'05 GSXR600 (track bike)

Offline Tom

• Tricycle
Re: Worn Discs 2010 GTR Update
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 10:08:56 am »
Decided to go with OE as I am in correspondence with Big K
Initial response was that they are wear and tear items and could wear in 20k miles. Bike was purchased new and serviced regularly
I responded very politely alluding to b******s
This is their flagship tourer and should not go through discs in 20k miles
Also quoted feedback from this site.
Awaiting response
Tom

Offline Tom

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 02:22:52 pm »
Still no joy from Big K. They maintain it is fair wear and tear. I fitted OE as I still intend to get something back.
Will keep you appraised.
Tom

Offline 2linby

• Iron Butt
  • I rode today, did you?
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 5539
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 10:27:44 pm »
Still no joy from Big K. They maintain it is fair wear and tear. I fitted OE as I still intend to get something back.
Will keep you appraised.
Tom

Did you keep the old rotors? Did you ever measure their wear with a micrometer?
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by" "Everything is simple, but nothing is easy".
Ex NWAD, AAD, COG #5539, IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor, Mentor 2001 Sonic Blue  166K and counting!
http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BBG)
http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip

Offline Don557

• Road Bike
  • Silver Streak
  • COG#: 10835
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 12:07:46 am »
Service limit on front rotors is 4.5mm (0.18 in.).  Service limit on runout is 0.3mm (0.01 in.).
If they're outside this, I'd personally get a set from Galfer.  Better quality, less money, less likely to warp.