Author Topic: Would You Buy A Concours Again?  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Ken

• Skinman
  • Bicycle
  • Retired fireman, Vietnam, 101st ABN. 2/17 CAV
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11782
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Would You Buy A Concours Again?
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2018, 01:07:34 am »
I have an 05 Gold Wing. I thought I would miss the cruse control. The only thing I miss is the reverse. But finally got to where I do not park going down any grade forward. LOL 
YES I would get another C14.

Offline khager01

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2018, 12:52:21 pm »
I very seldom ride anywhere that I CAN use CC. Even on the interstate around here you have traffic that you have to deal with in both lanes.
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

Offline Road Runner

• Scooter
  • Beep! Beep! ... yeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2018, 11:54:51 pm »
YES !!!  :great:
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline Wingedspirit

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12707
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2018, 12:19:24 am »
Absolutely!  Great handling, excellent power, best pricing. It seems the FJR's are going for more and I'm not as comfortable on one.

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11887
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2018, 01:08:48 am »
It’s hard to beat a C14 with just a $500 investment on a flash, a slip-on and better rubber when the OEMs wear out. Kawasaki has improved on the seat and windshield over the last decade, making them less “necessary”, but CC is still the big upgrade lots want...and as MOB has pointed out, would only cost another $500 of T&M for a fellow COGr to install if your not willing to tackle the job yourself. Suspension help is absolutely great, but costly regardless of the bike and will generally run about $2k...I was able to pick up an Ohlins shock from a COGr selling his, a really nice improvement for sure at $500 used, but at $1000+ bucks new, IDK...I’d rather have those other things cumulatively (flash, slip-on, tires and CC)
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750   1993 Yamaha Seca II
1990 Kawasaki EX500      1983 Honda CB1000 Custom

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9616
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2018, 09:02:00 pm »
I bought mine after reading this forum.  The part that sent me over the edge was the extended warranty thread.  I dont remember the specifics, but people were able to extend the warranty out another 4 years (I think) and the price  was very low....

Even with the low cost of the warranty, people were still worried that they would not get their moneys worth, and had to start pricing TPS sensors to try and justify the warranties cost.  At that point, I had a pretty good clue as to its reliability....
Ivans Ecu reflash, Brembo front rotors

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2018, 10:33:41 pm »
I bought mine after reading this forum.  The part that sent me over the edge was the extended warranty thread.  I dont remember the specifics, but people were able to extend the warranty out another 4 years (I think) and the price  was very low....

Even with the low cost of the warranty, people were still worried that they would not get their moneys worth, and had to start pricing TPS sensors to try and justify the warranties cost.  At that point, I had a pretty good clue as to its reliability....

it is actually 36 months that comes on bike at purchase, and you can buy 2 more 36 month KPP extensions, which gives 9 years of no worry...
For the cost of the 2 extensions, it made sense, as the failures we have seen, altho few real $$$ ones, (transmission gear teeth, rear drive seal leaks, fuel pump replacements, exhaust cam timing sensors,) all only a couple each, make sense, and TPS batteries on new style sensors, being the top number complaint of out of pocket $$$ warrant the protection.

Funny, just today I was doing a comparo against the new 'H2' as far as warranty and cost of it, and the Conni plans are a real deal... the H2 only has a 12 mo factory plan, and extensions are 2x the price.. and I still don't know if they can be doubled up...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2018, 11:39:12 pm »
Yeah I would buy another one IF it only weighed 500 lb otherwise I stuck with Big Bertha  :sign0066:
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Tinsailor

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7402
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2018, 01:38:44 pm »
Yes I would and am about to again after I totaled my 13

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2018, 08:36:37 pm »
Yes,

If I had one bike that I would keep over the others its the C14 all the way.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2018, 09:36:44 pm »
Yeah I would buy another one IF it only weighed 500 lb otherwise I stuck with Big Bertha  :sign0066:

your comment is the exact answer of why I would not buy another one... it's not the bike, I love mine, and don't plan on selling it... first owner in Va., and one of the first ones Owned by a COG member...

it's just a damned heavy mofo... and as I age, pushing it around, in and out of the garage, I'm in panic mode for every second its being pushed.

after dropping it on me, trapped against a wall, and my trailer, in my garage a few years back... it simply terrifies me everytime I have to 'push this bike'..
Having crashed a few bikes in my life, and 'getting over it', within days mentally, the constant fear of having this bike laying on me on the ground, still haunts me.
Mybe I should start drinking again, ....naaaaa... that won't help anything.
Just want a bike 200# lighter.  I have one, and another one in the middle of the weight range.. but for a "new" bike......? I want an old enduro, from the 70's.
 :))

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2018, 10:25:01 pm »
 If it tips over with canyon Cages no worries about trapping you under the bike.  ;D I am 5'7 and 150lbs and 61 years old and I don't have any issues moving it about. Of course, my new Z900RS feels like a toy compared to the C14 doing anything like tipping it up, moving it about, riding it and everything else.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2018, 10:47:15 pm »
If it tips over with canyon Cages no worries about trapping you under the bike.  ;D I am 5'7 and 150lbs and 61 years old and I don't have any issues moving it about. Of course, my new Z900RS feels like a toy compared to the C14 doing anything like tipping it up, moving it about, riding it and everything else.

:)) :)) >:( :)) :'( >:D :)) :))

yeah, I'm 63, 225#, and was always the guy you had/asked to 'pick up that engine, and set it on the bench' dude...
when you pull into the garage, after a 10 hour run, with Momma as passenger, pulling a loaded trailer, after a week long excursion... and get off, (I will admit, the stand was not fully down.. my bad) and have that mofo pin you against a wall... with your wife in panic mode.... you will get what I'm saying... getting old sux.... I can't move, because I'd have to lift the 300# toolbox I placed on my workbench 7 years ago... so I guess I'll stay in this house till I croak...
 :)) :)) :))

ride safe, and try not to get old... tell me how that works out... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great: :motonoises: :beerchug:
peace,

Offline Undertaker

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2018, 12:12:44 pm »
Yes I would buy my 2014 again. But I would immediately get rid of the OEM seat. I have ridden for over 50 years, and I have never had a more uncomfortable seat for long rides on any bike I have owned.  Maybe it is just me, and others will like the seat. For me though, it is torture.
"I ride up front, all others ride in the back!" Undertaker

Offline Tim

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12654
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2018, 05:33:44 pm »
Honestly, no, I wouldn't buy the Concours again.
Love the power, love the onboard carrying capacity, but with that comes weight.
Traveling down the roadway, it's second to none; stuck in traffic, it's a huge PITA (IMO)!  And given much of my seat time is spent commuting, and I can only afford one bike, I'm wishing I would have bought something smaller.
Absolutely no fault of the bike, it's purely a rider issue, and I should have spent more time test riding before I made my purchase.
Oh, one complaint though, I dislike the linked brakes.
Just one man's opinion.

Offline MrPepsi

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 8402
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2018, 03:03:52 am »
Honestly, no, I wouldn't buy the Concours again.
Love the power, love the onboard carrying capacity, but with that comes weight.
Traveling down the roadway, it's second to none; stuck in traffic, it's a huge PITA (IMO)!  And given much of my seat time is spent commuting, and I can only afford one bike, I'm wishing I would have bought something smaller.
Absolutely no fault of the bike, it's purely a rider issue, and I should have spent more time test riding before I made my purchase.
Oh, one complaint though, I dislike the linked brakes.
Just one man's opinion.

Move to California, you'll never be stuck again.
Brent Johnson 
Why MrPepsi? I collect and consume Pepsi!
2009 C-14 "Razzi"
2013 SFO to PDX Loop Ride Trip Report

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2018, 01:20:23 pm »
Dollar for dollar  the Concours 14  can't be beat , performance , dependability and practicality are second to none and don't cry about no cruise control , I like many others have had it for years .
But as I plan on a retirement of RVing   I also plan on adding a smaller bike to take along on trips , don't want to mess with this big of a bike going up and down the ramp  :motonoises:
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2018, 06:09:45 pm »
I hear people complaining about the weight. But what bike would you go to if you planned on riding 400+ miles for multiple days?
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline Road Runner

• Scooter
  • Beep! Beep! ... yeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2018, 06:12:36 pm »
I hear people complaining about the weight. But what bike would you go to if you planned on riding 400+ miles for multiple days?

Bingo! It's all relative, I guess. I find the Coucours light and pretty nimble, after coming from a Goldwing and H-D Ultra-Classic, but that's just me. Have had the Connie for > 3 yrs now and still loving it !!!
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2018, 06:14:27 pm »
That depends on my income when I figure it is time to replace this one, if my income at that time permits (which I doubt it) I may just have to try a Motus.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2018, 06:47:04 pm »
You need two bikes or more to meet some of your demands. Your not going to get wind protection, speed, handling, side and rear bags, and the ability to ride 2 up all day. Or ride with enough gear for a week or more with a smaller, lighter bike.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline flyingdutchman

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 12849
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2018, 07:57:39 pm »
I love my Concours but I hear so much about how comfortable the ZX14 is I wouldn’t mind trying to dress one out with some Concours parts and see how that would be. 80 lbs lighter and 50 more HP stock & torqey as well they say.

Offline TJ

• Training Wheels
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2018, 08:15:58 pm »

There are plenty of lighter bikes out there that would easily do "multiple 400 mile days" Some mentioned below I would actually go to before my C14.

Tracer 900 / FJ09
Versys 650/1000
Super Tenere
Vstrom 650 / 1000
Triumph Tiger / Explorer
BMW GS
BMW R1200RT
KTM Super Duke GT
Ducati Multistrada

All considerably lighter and easily capable of long distances, and in some cases actually better suited and more capable than the C14 to long distance riding. The C14 is a great bike, but there are plenty of options if someone wants a lighter machine. 

Offline Tim

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12654
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2018, 08:19:08 pm »

There are plenty of lighter bikes out there that would easily do "multiple 400 mile days" Some mentioned below I would actually go to before my C14.

Tracer 900 / FJ09
Versys 650/1000
Super Tenere
Vstrom 650 / 1000
Triumph Tiger / Explorer
BMW GS
BMW R1200RT
KTM Super Duke GT
Ducati Multistrada

All considerably lighter and easily capable of long distances, and in some cases actually better suited and more capable than the C14 to long distance riding. The C14 is a great bike, but there are plenty of options if someone wants a lighter machine.

I've actually been considering replacing the C14 for a Tracer 900 or Versys 1000.

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2018, 09:55:33 pm »
Yes, without giving it a second thought. If I could only have 1 bike it would be a C14!

Never had a CC, so I don't know what I'm missing. Never gave much thought to the weight. 75% of my riding is loaded for travel, whether it's solo or 2 up.

Just put 9,800 miles on my V-Strom  in June on my Alaska trip. It has no type of throttle lock, CC never crossed my mind.

Cliff   :beerchug:
Cliff
2008 Concours, 200,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom