Author Topic: Would You Buy A Concours Again?  (Read 2633 times)

Offline TNConnieRider

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12722
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Would You Buy A Concours Again?
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2018, 12:08:20 am »
I'm looking to get back into riding and I'm thinking about the Connie again.  I had a 2010 C14 and really loved it.  The only thing that I'm struggling with is no cruise control.  I rode a friend's with cruise and it was amazing.  I have to ride long flat roads to get to the twisties, so cruise is very attractive.

I looked at the FJR but it is slower...typical FJR rider is like, "It's plenty fast for me.  Why would you need more?"

Well, I need more.

So...would you buy the C14 again?  If so, what farkles would be your must-haves right away?

In a heartbeat! Had two C10s and got an opportunity on a 14 and wifey says why, you love your bike? I said I wanted it’s big brother and absolutely love it. I have owned a variety and would easily have another Connie in my inventory. PO was  farkle heavy so I got a loaded deal but to look at another ride, would have to be in addition, not primary.

My last bike - after the Connie - was a 2012 Ducati Multistrada...I would love to get back on one of those but don't have the extra $10k atm...
Honda MiniTrail 50, Yamaha GT 80, Suzuki TC 100, Yamaha DT 125, Kawasaki KZ 400 Ltd   Kawasaki KX 125, Suzuki RM250, Kawasaki ZX600,Kawasaki Concours C10 (#1) Suzuki Boulevard C50,Kawasaki Concours C10 (#2)

Offline TJ

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2018, 11:31:00 am »
I hear people complaining about the weight. But what bike would you go to if you planned on riding 400+ miles for multiple days?

There are plenty of lighter bikes out there that would easily do "multiple 400 mile days" Some mentioned below I would actually go to before my C14.

Tracer 900 / FJ09
Versys 650/1000
Super Tenere
Vstrom 650 / 1000
Triumph Tiger / Explorer
BMW GS
BMW R1200RT
KTM Super Duke GT
Ducati Multistrada

All considerably lighter and easily capable of long distances, and in some cases actually better suited and more capable than the C14 to long distance riding. The C14 is a great bike, but there are plenty of options if someone wants a lighter machine.

I've actually been considering replacing the C14 for a Tracer 900 or Versys 1000.

Good choices.

I owned a Versys 1000 and liked it a lot. The engine is all rubber mounted as are the bars, do it is buttery smooth. Makes me wonder why more bikes are not built that way.

Versys 1000 with CC would be great. 

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2018, 03:26:51 am »
Yeah I would buy another one IF it only weighed 500 lb otherwise I stuck with Big Bertha  :sign0066:

your comment is the exact answer of why I would not buy another one... it's not the bike, I love mine, and don't plan on selling it... first owner in Va., and one of the first ones Owned by a COG member...

it's just a damned heavy mofo... and as I age, pushing it around, in and out of the garage, I'm in panic mode for every second its being pushed.

after dropping it on me, trapped against a wall, and my trailer, in my garage a few years back... it simply terrifies me everytime I have to 'push this bike'..
Having crashed a few bikes in my life, and 'getting over it', within days mentally, the constant fear of having this bike laying on me on the ground, still haunts me.
Mybe I should start drinking again, ....naaaaa... that won't help anything.
Just want a bike 200# lighter.  I have one, and another one in the middle of the weight range.. but for a "new" bike......? I want an old enduro, from the 70's.
 :))
SO!!! The problem is not the bike but the old feeble owner. :'( Well welcome to the club!! Have had a bad year health wise and getting old. Still I looking forward when I can handle it again!! Working on it. :great:

Lets face it! The Concours ages better than we do. Right, Steve??
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 03:29:57 am by Mettler1 »
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2018, 03:36:05 am »
Wimps.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"
Freelance Cartoonist & Illustrator: Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2018, 03:47:12 am »
 :19: 
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2018, 04:11:47 am »
Harry, sometimes it's not for lack of desire....I lost some Connie time when I had the stroke and then again when I tried blowing up my clutch hand. good thing is the wife said I could get three wheels when I can't hold up two anymore.   :sign0066:

(she might argue that)
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2018, 02:39:57 pm »
I hear people complaining about the weight. But what bike would you go to if you planned on riding 400+ miles for multiple days?

My wife would never get on the bike , I'm more of a conversion van  kind of guy or RV for multiple days , I LOVE this bike on the road , it's that 0 to 3 miles per hour.
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Paul B

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2018, 10:45:52 am »
After 8 years without my 2010 and having ridden and/or owned just about everything out there, I came back to COGDOM with my new 2018 Connie.  Closest thing to a perfect traveling machine in my opinion. :great:

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2018, 10:49:48 am »
After 8 years without my 2010 and having ridden and/or owned just about everything out there, I came back to COGDOM with my new 2018 Connie.  Closest thing to a perfect traveling machine in my opinion. :great:
:iagree:  :beerchug:  :motonoises:
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Road Runner

• Moped
  • Beep! Beep! ... yeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2018, 11:39:23 pm »
:iagree:  :beerchug:  :motonoises:

Bravo! Bravo!   :great:
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline smooth_operator

• government isn't the solution to our problems. government is the problem!
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10773
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2018, 01:22:00 am »
unless they come out with a bike that weighs less, is more comfortable for my quickly aging body, and has at least the same power, I think I'll stick with the best bike I've ever owned. :beerchug: :great:
75 MT 125 Esinore   73 CB 360T  82 Virago 920  08 Metropolitan II "step through"  2012 C14  Candy Arabian Red

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties that standing armies.
--Thomas Jefferson
 CDA 553                               END THE FED!!

Offline bigThaw

• Big Wheels
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2018, 01:49:33 am »
I love my C14 2010....got it for a song...with new tires, new battery and just fully serviced with only 6200 miles... came with $1000 corbin seat, tall V stream screen, risers...footrest extensions. I added the delkevic..and a few other bits....a few months back drove 3000 miles in 6 days out to the Ozark mountains...now going to RWTW...Its a great ride. at 66 yrs young ,  6'1" 210lbs. with a way bad back...I ride with no center stand; 12lbs. delkevic can drops another 18lbs., and only travel with the saddle bags, I leave them in the motel room or in the garage at home...so I'm approx. 50lbs. lighter when not traveling... won't be selling it anytime soon...yea I'd buy it again
1964 Honda 305 scrambler, 1969 Triumph Bonneville 650 TT , 1974 Kaw Z1 B 900 NEW, 2 VFR 800's, 2 '98 Triumph Thunderbird Sport 900's, 2 Bandit 1200's, '07 suzu B1250, 2 Ninja Z1000sx's, all gone...2010 CONCOURS 1400 Nov. '17   current...

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2018, 12:28:06 pm »
I sometimes think about this, especially if I totalled her tomorrow....what would I buy?

I think for me to buy another C14, it would need to be an updated version - as In a newer generation, with Cruise, Ride by wire ECU, and all the Electronic aides that most modern bikes now have. 
LED headlamps (BIG ONES), more Alternator output, Dual Exhaust.....I digress.

However, for me - I think of my riding in terms of "the right tool for the job" or more succinctly - my MOOD.

Right now, I'm lusting after a KTM 1290 Super Adventure S.  That's the ROAD version.  Likely, that will replace my aging Aprilia Falco, that's getting more and more uncomfortable to ride any long distances.

And I think I've expressed my desire to own a current generation VMax as well --call me crazy, it's just badass!

My happy garage would have at LEAST three bikes in it -- and presently, I only need one more to accomplish that goal.
Buy a Connie again?  Absolutely!  But it wouldn't be my ONLY bike, and I wouldn't replace it with the current iteration.  I'd wait for the next gen model to come-out.   :beerchug:

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2018, 04:10:47 pm »
I love my C14 2010....got it for a song...with new tires, new battery and just fully serviced with only 6200 miles... came with $1000 corbin seat, tall V stream screen, risers...footrest extensions. I added the delkevic..and a few other bits....a few months back drove 3000 miles in 6 days out to the Ozark mountains...now going to RWTW...Its a great ride. at 66 yrs young ,  6'1" 210lbs. with a way bad back...I ride with no center stand; 12lbs. delkevic can drops another 18lbs., and only travel with the saddle bags, I leave them in the motel room or in the garage at home...so I'm approx. 50lbs. lighter when not traveling... won't be selling it anytime soon...yea I'd buy it again
If you are interested in dropping more weight, get an Earthx Lithium Iron battery. Besides being much smaller, more powerful, and having posts in the center for easy installation, they are approx 11 lbs lighter IIRC. You can’t kill them by over discharging since they have battery management built in.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2018, 05:46:54 pm »
When I installed the ZX14 headers I was going to modify my center stand in order to use it , still on the shelf , don't miss it , not sure how much it weighs .  Don't want or need a air suspension system , upgraded to ZX14 forks with AK20 internals Penske shock rear , If I  ever get the wild idea of getting a newer one I would have to switch out a lot of parts , but i don't see any need .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2018, 08:32:13 pm »
If you are interested in dropping more weight, get an Earthx Lithium Iron battery. Besides being much smaller, more powerful, and having posts in the center for easy installation, they are approx 11 lbs lighter IIRC. You can’t kill them by over discharging since they have battery management built in.

11 pounds? Lighter?
amazing, all the conventional batteries i've seen, that fit the bike, all seem to be right around 10 pounds... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
https://www.apexbattery.com/exide-powerware-14-bs-battery.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx76Ovemw2wIVAhFpCh1ekw-sEAQYBSABEgLo2PD_BwE

(just a common battery, by specs...)

The EarthX is a fine battery, but unless you NEED a NEW battery, it's silly to use it's weight, as an excuse for the cost. especially if your battery is fine.
 ;)

If I really want to 'reduce bike weight', I simply diet.... loosing 20 pounds of body fat makes a bigger difference than a battery that costs $$$... to me at least. :truce: :truce:
I kinda like my centerstand also.. as it sure does make pluggin a rear tire with a nail sticking out of it, much easier, in a parking lot, in the middle of the night... and my 3 pound air compressor, and 1/4 pound plug kit, which are always on board, seem precious also. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

ride safe, and prepared, carry tools.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I also am a stickler for correct information, and when people start quoting weights, i always question "did you actually weight it..."

I don't go by a lot of advertised stuff, as they use things like weight, as a "tool", and only say "what they want to display"... like the Delk site's proposed "weights", which are not really displayed... in a manner for comparison... they give some "mumbo-jumbo LB/XXkg" figure, for the muffler only... not for the complete "as purchased and installed system".. which includes pipes, clamps, etc., and is something that can be measured.
In fact, I just walked to my garage, picked up my OEM '08 muffler assembly with clamps, just as pulled off a bike, walked in and stood on the scale. set it down, and re weighed myself...(hmmmm, I need to trim about 11 pounds of my buff body...dammit...) :'(

the OEM pipe/muffler/clamps weighs in at 20.8 pounds.
Delk's weights, for MUFFLER ONLY, are: ( and mind you, they would not give the weight in pounds, just kg..) so I did the math, and converted to realtime.
18" SS model, = 5.4 lbs
18" C/F oval = 4.3 lbs
17" SS tri-Oval = 4.9 lbs
now add in the 30" of chromed steel pipe, clamps, and any heatshields and clamps you will need ( to protect your suit from melting if you touch an extremely hot pipe) (the OEM has a pipe-inside a pipe, dual wall construction, to keep the external surface cooler).

so please, pretty please if you may, don't say you knocked off 18 pounds by switching your muffler system... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

it's easy to loose weight. Just push away from the snack table. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 09:56:04 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2018, 08:49:52 pm »
Ok IDRC. I do remember when I received my battery, it thought the box was empty.  :rotflmao: It’s 80% lighter than a lead acid battery. They last 8 years, so factor that into the cost equation.

https://earthxbatteries.com/product-category/motorcycle

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2018, 09:45:47 pm »
Soo you can't plug a tire with out a center stand   :19:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2018, 10:05:49 pm »
Soo you can't plug a tire with out a center stand   :19:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :popcorncouple: :41: :friends:

sure, you can... but I wanna watch you do it, when the nail is sitting on the opposite side of the tire, from the the tire valve, and you are trying to plug, before the tire goes flat...

yeah, have fun... silly man. :nananana: :nananana: :nananana:

and filling tires, and inspecting them, is a "bit easier" also, on the C'Stand...

but we don't need to do that, because our TPMS is always working... :great: :great: :motonoises: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline luv2fly

• Road Bike
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2018, 10:12:27 pm »
I would have absolutely bought mine all over again 4 years ago.  I would buy another if Kawi tomorrow updated the 14 with cruise/electronic suspension, heated seat, etc.  Rock solid reliability and value.

Don't see myself on the Connie in 4-5 years.  Something more comfortable, but still perform.  To be completely honest, all that power will rear its ugly head at the wrong time and I'll be having a conversation with a badge I don't want to have.  Its not too fast, I'm too undisciplined. 
Loud pipes save lives but helmet laws suck - Its a safety issue

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11887
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2018, 11:33:39 pm »
I'm kinda lusting for the H2 SX, tho I haven't driven one...I wonder how they're selling and if I'll be able find one in a couple years for about $10k? How's the H2SX stock suspension compared to an Ohlins or AKs/Penske C14 setup? I'm kinda planning on sending my ZX14 forks out over the winter to Traxxion to complement the rear Ohlins shock I'm sporting now. I have a Rostra CC that works pretty well, after lots of slab riding, I feel it's a must have too. Losing 100lbs would be very welcome! The H2 SX checks off a lot of boxes for me.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 12:17:53 am by NYbiomed »
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750   1993 Yamaha Seca II
1990 Kawasaki EX500      1983 Honda CB1000 Custom

Offline bigThaw

• Big Wheels
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2018, 12:14:30 am »
When I installed the ZX14 headers I was going to modify my center stand in order to use it , still on the shelf , don't miss it , not sure how much it weighs .  Don't want or need a air suspension system , upgraded to ZX14 forks with AK20 internals Penske shock rear , If I  ever get the wild idea of getting a newer one I would have to switch out a lot of parts , but i don't see any need .
             centerstand= 12 lbs.

hey MAN....I have the 14" oval delkevic without the baffle...yea...pretty please...its 18 lbs lighter than the factory monstrosity.......mine weighed 24.8 lbs without all the clamps bolts mountings...............really??????
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 12:39:49 am by bigThaw »
1964 Honda 305 scrambler, 1969 Triumph Bonneville 650 TT , 1974 Kaw Z1 B 900 NEW, 2 VFR 800's, 2 '98 Triumph Thunderbird Sport 900's, 2 Bandit 1200's, '07 suzu B1250, 2 Ninja Z1000sx's, all gone...2010 CONCOURS 1400 Nov. '17   current...

Offline Rodney

• Tricycle
    • My Home Site
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 8084
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2018, 05:30:44 pm »
I would definitely get another C14. My current '13 is my second C14. Had an '08 and enjoyed it so much got the '13.  Just change oil and tires and put in gas and it just keeps on running.  Have a wrist rest for taking the load off my throttle hand and it works just fine. 
'13 Concours14  Have Motorcycle Will Travel

Offline Baggerjohn

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2018, 04:47:37 pm »
If I were to buy another it would be to keep my '08 and '12 company. Meaning...I'm going to need a bigger boatgarage.  :))

If you want "heavy", try a Valkyrie Interstate. Or a Valkyrie Tourer with an I/S tank, trunk and radiator pods and a Memphis Batwing fairing installed. Those are my two fair-weather rides.

The Connies get ridden like the go-to bikes they are. If I absolutely have to be somewhere, either gets the nod.

Offline Rob9876

• Bicycle
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2018, 02:07:35 pm »
I love the way the bike rides and would definitely buy one again.  I have a throttle lock, but rarely use it because the interstates near me for many miles are like the Indy 500 + 1 lane of Sunday drivers, so it's quite rare to be able to stay at one speed for even 5 minutes.