Author Topic: WOW! Valve adjustment  (Read 1891 times)

Offline woodie

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10389
  • Membership Level: Active
WOW! Valve adjustment
« on: April 22, 2018, 11:24:11 pm »
True confession time. I don't check my valves as often as many others and as often as suggested. I did the first valve adjustment on my 2011 C-14 at 50k miles in 2014. I replaced a few shims but nothing major. I'm just doing the second one now with 125k miles on it. EVERYTHING IS WITHIN TOLERANCE!!! I'm extremely impressed after 75k miles, and not easy miles, all the valves are in spec!! I don't know if anything we do, oil type, gas, riding style, etc. can make a difference on how the valves stay in spec?
But I'm surprised and impressed. And I had a complete shim kit on hand this time. Maybe that's the secret, be prepared and you won't need them.   

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: WOW! Valve adjustment
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 12:32:44 am »
I think that's typical.  In my experience the valve clearance tends to stabilize after 50K miles or so.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Red Fox

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11691
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 12:37:29 am »
Nice report, Woodie, and good news.

I had dealer do the 1st and 'only' intended valve inspection of my 2011 at 33,000 miles.  The tech was experienced with C-14 as he was the go to guy for the local police dept C-14 repairs/service.   At 33,000 he said 3 of my bike's valves were out-of-spec slightly.  He replaced all shims to my requested settings so they would never have to be re-inspected (per my judgement / comfort level). 

TryCities, WA.    2011  C-14, silver; 53,000 miles.

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 01:53:39 am »
And you beat that beast but treat her right.  :motonoises: :great: :beerchug:
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby.

Offline Sirk

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 08:49:52 am »
And what was your "requested setting" Red Fox? Asking for a friend. ME!

Offline EZ

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11785
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 09:25:16 am »
And what was your "requested setting" Red Fox? Asking for a friend. ME!

I am curious if one or both of you set to the loose side of the spec??  Just completed my first at 53k and I only had a total of five out of spec. I was a bit surprised and I was a bit more surprised that only two on exhaust.
Thank God you're alive every time you arrive!

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 09:38:35 am »
Excellent info Woodie. Mine were all in spec at 26,600 but I adjusted them to the loose end. I don't plan to open it back up for a long time unless of course something goes wrong.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 11:59:37 am »
Always try  (withing reason of course) to have all valves adjusted to the 'loose' end of the spec and get a shim map done for future reference.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 02:12:23 pm »
True confession time. I don't check my valves as often as many others and as often as suggested. I did the first valve adjustment on my 2011 C-14 at 50k miles in 2014. I replaced a few shims but nothing major. I'm just doing the second one now with 125k miles on it. EVERYTHING IS WITHIN TOLERANCE!!! I'm extremely impressed after 75k miles, and not easy miles, all the valves are in spec!!   
I think that's typical.  In my experience the valve clearance tends to stabilize after 50K miles or so.

My valves were done on close to the same schedule as the OP's with completely different results. 1st adjustment was at 64,000 & 8 were tight. 2nd adjustment was done at 120,000 with all of them tight & 2 with almost no clearance. 3rd time at 195,000 & all was good.

No more adjustments for me.

Cliff   :beerchug:
Cliff
2008 Concours, 200,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline EZ

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11785
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 10:34:27 am »
True confession time. I don't check my valves as often as many others and as often as suggested. I did the first valve adjustment on my 2011 C-14 at 50k miles in 2014. I replaced a few shims but nothing major. I'm just doing the second one now with 125k miles on it. EVERYTHING IS WITHIN TOLERANCE!!! I'm extremely impressed after 75k miles, and not easy miles, all the valves are in spec!!   

My valves were done on close to the same schedule as the OP's with completely different results. 1st adjustment was at 64,000 & 8 were tight. 2nd adjustment was done at 120,000 with all of them tight & 2 with almost no clearance. 3rd time at 195,000 & all was good.

Cliff,
 Did you set to center or loose on the first go??
Thank God you're alive every time you arrive!

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 05:01:57 pm »

Cliff,
 Did you set to center or loose on the first go??

Mostly to the center.

Cliff
2008 Concours, 200,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline Bobby Lee

• 2010 Neptune candy blue
  • Training Wheels
  • South central
  • COG#: 11740
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 01:43:50 pm »
im not doing mine, 2010 w/ 31000

just going to buy a new one when the 2020 comes out  :motonoises:
Love the change

Offline luv2fly

• Road Bike
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 07:25:18 pm »
Curious, did you guys notice any difference (start up/Idle) after the adjustment was done?
Loud pipes save lives but helmet laws suck - Its a safety issue

Offline joliver

• Mini Bike
    • My former biking days.
  • COG#: 10420
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 03:14:45 pm »
im not doing mine, 2010 w/ 31000

just going to buy a new one when the 2020 comes out  :motonoises:

Toward the end of the next season mine will be due. I live in an isolated area in NE British Columbia and MC mechanics are not that common. The mechanics mostly work on dirt bikes, snowmobiles and ATVs. My Kawi shop recently changed hands and the new mechanic is not interested in the job. Even that mechanic is 2 hours from my house and I would have to spend the money to live away from home for at least 2 nights if all went well.
My other option is to go to the big city and go to a dealer in Burnaby BC. He has a great reputation and I have faith he could do the job properly. If I were to do that it would be 2 days to get there and 2 days to get home and at least 2 days in Burnaby. 6 days of living away from home and the cost of the value job would be somewhere in the neighbourhood of lots - I believe it would be about 30% of the bike's value. By the time the second value job is due, the bike will have depreciated further and the costs between the two jobs would exceed the value of the bike.
I did my C10 and it did cost a small fortune. In hindsight, I would have been better off saving that money and putting it it toward my current bike.
Doing the work my self is a total non starter. I don't have the place to do the work nor the tools. I have no mechanical skill whatsoever and unlikely to acquire any at my age. I still have at almost a year before I have to make that final decision.
Decisions decisions!
Jim
15 1400 ABS
02 Connie Purchased used after a 35 year break.
75 Suzuki GT 550
72 Suzuki T500
69 Suzuki 250

Offline Road Runner

• Scooter
  • Beep! Beep! ... yeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 12:53:41 am »
Curious, did you guys notice any difference (start up/Idle) after the adjustment was done?

Yes, as a a finely tuned machine or "instrument," if you will.  :great:
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline IBAJIM

• Tricycle
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 10:42:45 pm »
Always try  (withing reason of course) to have all valves adjusted to the 'loose' end of the spec and get a shim map done for future reference.

Why is it desirable to set the clearance on the loose end of the spec range ?  Does the clearance always decrease ?

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 10:48:42 pm »

Why is it desirable to set the clearance on the loose end of the spec range ?  Does the clearance always decrease ?
That has been the usual experience. Excess clearance will become evident by noisy valves. No clearance will become evident by loss of power due to engine damage