Author Topic: WOW. Had never seen this.  (Read 1573 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: WOW. Had never seen this.
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2017, 07:01:11 pm »
Yeah, like when in 2007 and the bike was being rolled out, I was "elected" to question the techs displaying the bikes on the new technology. I was told that the vvt was a spring loaded advancer, similar to ignition advance or a compression release.  :-[ Steve

I can't remember if you were present, but at the '07 rally in Canaan, the fellow that did the presentation was pretty knowledgeable in my opinion, not just a face dude in a Kaw shirt... :))

They did cover the VVT operation in a slide presentation, and along with other aspects like the TetraLink and ABS, the presentation was in mu opinion "correct".

I don't agree tho with this fellows "opinions" on the lack of system electrical power, or his reasoning about the big flummoxed clusterfark the aftermarket police bike outfitters at that time ran into... the power requirements they placed on the bikes electrical system were extreme, and coupled with that, the fact that the major power drains were usually while the bike was sitting on the side of the road, idling, or off, did require additional battery... unfortunatly those outfitters didn't increase the power cable and wire sizes to suit the added consuption, nor address the need for a higher output alternator to take up the inrush surge currents attributed to starting and utilizing that second battery... that's when things began melting down... and was noted in actual articles at that time exactly what occurred...those facts have beenenen swept under the carpet, and other "blames" surfaced when really it was a poorly designed "add on package" at fault.
In reality, the current required and demanded to start and operate this bike, while multiple flashers, radar gun, multiple high powered radio transmitters, etc., are all running, would melt down a lot of wires designed for normal everyday usage, in the civilian world.

Case in point, anyone that has added any additional rear turn signals, like I did when adding my trailer hitch, would find those OEM rear wires at fault, they are aluminum, and barely 20 or 22 awg... not robust, and surely not sized to run flashing multi filiament lamps in any quantity..

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11887
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2017, 07:49:05 pm »
^^^Todays LEDs may not present the same problems as the filament type did in yesteryears....the Connie14 was just ahead of the times!
 :))
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 08:02:29 pm by NYbiomed »
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750
1983 Honda CB1000 Custom
1990 Kawasaki EX500

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2017, 08:17:33 pm »
Has anyone heard of the ecu cycling accessories if the battery starts to overload/weaken. That's a new one on me.
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 We gonna dance! Danke Schoen

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2017, 08:38:45 pm »
Has anyone heard of the ecu cycling accessories if the battery starts to overload/weaken. That's a new one on me.

Not I
But I don't run my bike on diagnostics in a laboratory...
 :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Sppd796

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 07:50:09 pm »
I always thought the clatter on start up was the cam chain tensioner. This says its the VVT system building pressure.

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2017, 04:25:07 am »
"though as an experienced and formally trained tech I am not clueless either"

HAHAHAHHAHAHA

Yes, my friend, you are clueless.

Formally trained? In what, Tech Writing?

Offline Bergmen

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 5478
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2017, 02:19:18 pm »
What I see missing from the article is acknowledgement that the alternator powers the motorcycle when the engine is running, the battery is there just to store energy for the next engine start (after being recharged by the alternator/regulator). Issues can arise if the alternator output is below the electrical load but this generally only happens with low RPM (idle or parade running) or if there are too many accessories installed that over loads the alternator.

Saying that there is not a cruise control because the battery can't handle it indicates the writer is a moron (IMO).
Dan
--2014 Yamaha FJR1300A--
--ZGRX 1200 Concours (sold)--
--SPOOFAK Inventor--

Offline Classvino

• Lifelong Kawi Rider
  • Road Bike
  • Smells wrong... Oh, it's a 4-stroke...
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11233
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2017, 07:19:30 pm »
Reminds me of this note that has been floating around various IT departments for a few years...

Speaks to the (sometimes very real) disconnect between the workers and the suits...

----------------------------------

The Plan

In the beginning was the plan and then came the assumptions and the assumptions were without form and the plan was completely without substance.
And darkness was upon the face of the workers and they spoke unto their assistant branch chiefs saying: "It is a crock of s**t and it stinketh"
And the assistant branch chiefs went unto the branch chiefs and sayeth: "It is a pail of dung and none may tolerate the odor thereof"
And the branch chiefs went forth to the division chiefs and sayeth unto them: "It is a container of excrement and it is very strong, such that none may abide by it"
And the division chief went unto the assistant directorate head and sayeth unto him: "It is a vessel of fertilizer and none may tolerate its strength"
And the assistant directorate head went forth to the directorate head and exclaimed: "It contains that which aids plant growth and it is very strong"
After which the directorate head went unto the associate administrator and sayeth unto him: "It promoteth growth and is very powerful"
And the associate administrator went to the administrator and proclaimed: "This powerful new plan will actively promote the growth and efficiency of the agency and this area in particular"
And the administrator looked upon the plan and saw that it was good and the plan became policy.

-------------------------------------

Jamie

Offline Hisport

• Tricycle
  • KiPassa?
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12443
VVT
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2017, 02:30:42 pm »
Interesting!

Nice to see a C14 perspective from a Kaw insider.

As an old hotrodder, I was amused to see that the author got his VVT cam timing description back to front (intake cam timing is actually advanced at low speed and retarded at high speed). And, the rationale of battery size vs cruise control sounds a bit contrived, though I have little doubt that Kaw is ever anxious about lawsuits. As Steve outlined above, it is alternator capacity which dictates load headroom, electrically speaking. However, putting cruise control at the top of the disable list (well above, let's say, heated hand grips and accessory outputs) would make things moot.

I'll be retrofitting my (2014) with cruise, and look forward to having it. I don't anticipate any power issues, even with a stone axe aftermarket unit. That said, the C14  elec system is marginal for a tourer, IMHO

Interesting also to see the BMW clutch issue mentioned. My limited experience with BMW rear drive failures makes this ring true, sadly

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2017, 02:12:00 am »
nteresting also to see the BMW clutch issue mentioned

IIRC, the clutch issue is that BMW decided to use a dry clutch (like cars use), which are far less tolerant of partial-engagement use (with lots of slipping) than typical wet clutches. Very easy to burn one.

Offline Vader

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 01:06:35 pm »
I have a 2011 C14 and I only know of 2 settings for the brake system's "three levels of linking" as he described. Am I missing something??

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2017, 06:38:11 pm »
Here's another from the Author. Keep in mind these are posted here for historic interest/entertainment. They are not meant to be used as a bible. Just interesting tid bits I had never seen before.
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/concours_media.html
He tells me he will be adding more and I'll send out to the masses as I get them. Again just FWIW.  :beerchug:
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 We gonna dance! Danke Schoen