Author Topic: Xenon Bulbs  (Read 1193 times)

Offline The Wanderer

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8863
  • Membership Level: Active
Xenon Bulbs
« on: September 07, 2009, 02:51:00 pm »
Hello,  I recently ordered and received two headlight bulbs from Electrical Connection.  They were advertised as being true Xenon bulbs.  When they arrived the boxes clearly state "Halogen".  They're made by Flosser in Germany.  They do have a blue tint to the glass.  I've e-mailed both Electrical Connection and Flosser for clarification but with the holiday probably won't here from them until later in the week and since I lack patience I thought I'd ask here.  Have I've been duped?  Should the box read "Xenon"?  Up to this point I've had great success with Electrical Connection.  Thanks,  Norm  

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
Xenon Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 08:35:00 am »
I'm not a fan of either blue tinted bulbs or zenon bulbs. The best bulbs I have found are the Phillips Vision plus series. Not only do they provide more light with a good beam spread, they also last longer than most other "high performance bulbs", many of which typically have a short lifespan.    Both Murph and EC carry the Phillips Vision Plus series.  
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline The Wanderer

• Training Wheels
Xenon Bulbs
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:39:00 am »
Hi Fred,  Thanks for the advice, though this is the first time on this or the GL board where you didn't answer my question. LOL.  I've done some more surfing and have found that Xenon is almost always used in a compound with, you guessed it, a halogen gas.  I believe Xenon is inert where as the halogens are not maybe why the packaging has to read "halogen".  I'll let you know what either EC or Flosser has to say.  Later,  Norm  

Offline GSGSXJay

• Scooter
  • COG#: 5374
Xenon Bulbs
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 11:14:00 am »
The ones I have don't mention Xenon anywhere on the box EXCEPT the dealer price label.  These are made in Germany and have a 55/60W bulb.  The glass on the bulb does have a blue tint.  If you need more info I have the box and bulb.      There is a Very noticeable difference than the stock halogen H4 bulb and last ~2 years before needing a replacement.      
Jay COG 5374  1995 ZG1000A10  1978, 79 GS1000EN  Shaft or chain I love em the same

Offline The Wanderer

• Training Wheels
Xenon Bulbs
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 11:29:00 am »
Hello,  Just heard back from Todd at EC.  Flosser uses the same box for all bulbs.  I've put them in, they are brighter and make the two small spots look very yellow.  Can't wait to try them out on the road at night.  Thanks for everyone's help.  Thanks,  Norm  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:29:00 am by The Wanderer »