Author Topic: Yes....another "Flash" thread.  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12372
  • Membership Level: Active
Yes....another "Flash" thread.
« on: January 11, 2016, 09:10:59 pm »
I have the original version of the Shoodaben Flash. Today I put 90 miles on it and was trying to compare my current flash deceleration to the factory ECO deceleration. After about 50 comparisons by switching back and forth at various rpm's I would consider the Original Shoodaben flash decel to be about 50% to 60% of the ECO decel from 3,000 rpm's on up. This puts it right in the sweet spot for me since I really don't need more decel at the risk of having too much and possibly losing some of the smoothness. In reading the reports from others with the Original flash I feel like people who haven't ridden a bike with the flash might assume that it has almost very little to no decel at all and is just free spooling down the road like it was in neutral. Everybody has a different take on what decel they need but I just don't want anybody thinking that they need the "Enhanced Decel Map" to avoid a free spooling decel when it really isn't. It definitely has a fair amount of decel for normal conditions and isn't, in my opinion, in need of more to stay out of trouble. Maybe others here can try testing this and see if they think it is about 50% or so of the stock ECO flash and maybe come up with a percentage that the "Enhanced" decel Map might be compared to ECO. OK I'm probably overthinking this but I really like the feel of the original Flash and don't want someone to be disappointed with their purchase. Steve is probably one of the few who have enough time on both flashes to guess a percentage of decel.
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline fordtruck

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12172
Re: Yes....another "Flash" thread.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 10:08:26 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts on this.  I'm going to get mine flashed in the next couple of months.  I've been trying to decide which flash to get, so this helps.  I did notice on Steve's website that he states that he is using the enhanced decal flash on his own bike.  Anybody else have any thoughts?  Anybody tried both flashes?
2009 Black C14
1977 KZ1000
2012 KLX250s

Offline tjhess74

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8406
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 12:51:23 am »
In my opinion, the decel option gives you a decel that is nearly identical to the factory.  If the factory flash had too much decel for you, then I would suppose you might want Steve's original version.  The only thing I didn't like about the factory decel was the jerkiness of it...but that's all gone now!
Tom Hess  North Charleston, South Carolina    COG #8406  IBA #30337  CDA #248 (C10)    97 c10 (former)  08 c14 (current), 2007 Honda VFR800 RWB

Offline Arabian Red

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11292
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 12:57:32 am »
I just got my ECU back from Steve this afternoon and I have to say that this flash gave me the bike I was hoping to get when I purchased new in 2012. I came home today, did not even go in the house. Installed the ECU started her up and took a 60 mile ride. Being in So. Cal. I have the advantage of multiple terrain to chose from when I ride so I chose them all. Mountain, City, Highway and residential. I have got to say all were improved markedly. In the mountains there were straight runs that disappeared faster than they used to, there were steep hair pin turns that were much easier to negotiate with the smoother throttle response and there was enough decel to keep the brakes from heating up. I like to use the gears to slow my progress more that the brakes and this flash allows me to still do that. I have the regular flash from Steve and so far it is performing miracles on the behavior of my C14. It is like getting that new bike without the added payment of actually buying it. The shifting has completely improved, that herky jerky motion that happens to a passenger from 1st to 3rd has completely gone away. Money well spent in my opinion, cheap at twice the price with all that I got from it. I will be taking a few long trips this week so I will report on any mileage improvements I see. Nice job Steve!

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 01:18:14 am »
TJ....does your first and second gear still decel smoothly at like 2,000rpm - 3,000rpm when you back off the throttle quickly? I can maybe live with a near normal decel in upper gears but prefer the 50% or 60% since it isn't a big difference.  In first and second gear I definitely like a lot less decel since it is just plain easier to adjust the throttle for smoothness and I have no need for a full decel at under 25mph. I have never understood if the Flash can be adjusted for different rates of decel by RPM's and by ground speed or gear its in. I'm assuming its just based on RPM's / throttle position and the taller gearing takes care of the abruptness of the throttle closing at higher speeds. Overthinking again...lol. I still think it's cool to have the full decel in the ECO mode if you do lots of downhill mountain riding like I do in Utah.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 01:23:51 am by Dirtwiz »
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.