Author Topic: Yet another expensive lesson---never bought the spare fob and--you guessed it...  (Read 7405 times)

Offline Fibbidiboo

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
To jwh20: I knew when I started this thread that no matter how many times I said it was my fault someone would say what you said, don't blame Kawasaki.  You then proceeded to describe what I should have done with the two fobs when I mentioned from the outset the bike, bought used, came with one. Perhaps I should have sat down in the showroom somewhere and read the entire manual before climbing on and driving away. Then I would have known how dangerous it was to have but one fob.
My point in writing was two fold: find someone who follows this forum to--cross my fingers-- point out something I missed, something simple, certainly less expensive, then what the keyless are faced with, and secondly, to opine that it is a system that harshly penalizes the procrastinators, non-manual readers, or the careless like me, who kept the fob attached to the fairing opposite the lock pocket with picture hanging silly putty. I jump on, start her up and snatch the fob up and pocket the fob before taking off. This time I forgot and somewhere along the way- most likely on I95 at 75 mph--it went away.
Yes Ki-pass is a fine deterrent. So is a fork lock, or an alarm system but no other vehicle that I can think of crucifies the owner as much as this dumb design. I mean seriously, can you honestly tell me this method which includes picking the lock for God's sake, is a good one?? You are comfortable defending Kawasaki when they force you to spend easily over $1000 to make the bike start again?? (Here's where I trot out my life experience) I've been riding motorcycles for 50 years and have owned dozens and this method has no peer for sticking it to the owner for being dumb.
I doubt there is any other vehicle manufacturer that generates more discussion, more tips and advice on were to locate or how many spare keys they have, or how many of essentially the same thread gets repeated --for years!--than Kawasaki, yet they obviously could care less what people like me think. That's why I will not buy any of their products again, no matter how good they are ( or theft proof😂). I believe, just as I believe their jetskis are, it is an awesome machine, but from now on to anyone who asks how I like it I'll be attaching this sad story to the answer. I expect to get one of two replies: " You're a dumb a**", or "Wow, that's the best design they could come up with? Seems like they didn't think about the customer much when they did".
Jetskis or motorcycles, they aren't THAT good.
Finally, for those of you that are motivated to buy another fob, or key, or better secure their backup by stitching to their left pectoral muscle as a result of reading this I draw a small measure of gratification.

Happy trails!

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
  • Membership Level: Active
 :smiley_confused1:

Offline Fibbidiboo

• Big Wheels
Just a quick follow up to Matt regarding recording the codes. The dealer went online with my Vin and immediately found the bike. He read off reams of info but none it included the codes. Nowhere. Perhaps the dealer enters it when the bike is purchased -- sounds likely, but is now vulnerable to an omission mistake by a sloppy dealer. I say whenever they record the Vin and host of other data points add the key codes! (Maybe they do since 2011)

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Crotch Rocket
  • I am what I am and that's all that I am!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12210
Writing down the codes from the packaging won't do you any good if you lose the FOB. It is specific to that FOB. And it's gone. Away. Never to return.

:iagree:
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Mountain Runner Flash.  

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
The reviews on the trackR devices are all over the map.

I dont know what to believe.

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8645

After getting paranoid reading this thread I went for the Chipolo.  Got 4 coming for less than $60 with replaceable batteries.  (Chipolo classic)

https://shop.chipolo.net/?gclid=CLnRqfKQiNICFYpXDQodxk0PrA
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja Sold / 1999 Kawasaki Concours Sold / 2014 Kawasaki Concours

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14

After getting paranoid reading this thread I went for the Chipolo.  Got 4 coming for less than $60 with replaceable batteries.  (Chipolo classic)

https://shop.chipolo.net/?gclid=CLnRqfKQiNICFYpXDQodxk0PrA

This is the other problem as a consumer, Theres so many brands but not much on reliability that's not all over the map.

I'm leaning towards the TILE brand though due to the likelihood their batteries last the longest. Though after looking at the device reviews across several websites it looks like these devices are severely limited and dont really work well.

For those that purchased a spare FOB, what did it cost? I see a listing on ebay for $300. 

YIKES :o :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:45:10 pm by JTX »

Offline Spiderman

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12420
JTX        I brought a spare for my 2010. costs were 267.87 for fob key , 16.76 for key-lock blank , programing at dealer was 36.00$. Took key blank to hardware store & had them cut the new key. Took the guy about 20 min. to get it set up. He did`nt want to screw up because he knew we had a one time shot at it. Cost was 5.00 plus tax. It worked great !  this was 9/04/15

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
JTX        I brought a spare for my 2010. costs were 267.87 for fob key , 16.76 for key-lock blank , programing at dealer was 36.00$. Took key blank to hardware store & had them cut the new key. Took the guy about 20 min. to get it set up. He did`nt want to screw up because he knew we had a one time shot at it. Cost was 5.00 plus tax. It worked great !  this was 9/04/15

Yikes, I guess the Ebay prices are pretty close.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
When I replaced my lost FOB it was $197 from Partszilla, of course it was stolen off my porch with some C14 lower plastics (lost my FOB and hit a deer on the same trip) and had to purchase them all over again.

As for the TrackR and Tile, yes reviews are all over the place, the Tile you cannot replace the battery, on the TrackR you can. Tile makes a louder sound for location, TrackR is hard to hear unless you are really close.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
When I replaced my lost FOB it was $197 from Partszilla, of course it was stolen off my porch with some C14 lower plastics (lost my FOB and hit a deer on the same trip) and had to purchase them all over again.

As for the TrackR and Tile, yes reviews are all over the place, the Tile you cannot replace the battery, on the TrackR you can. Tile makes a louder sound for location, TrackR is hard to hear unless you are really close.

$200 isn't bad, for a backup FOB to keep at the house....

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket

$200 isn't bad, for a backup FOB to keep at the house....

I was charged $30 for the FOB programming at Kawi dealership. I also had a new FOB steel key made and several spares steel keys.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • COG#: 9127
Just get a passive FOB. $30 I believe plus programming. If you lose the active FOB, you can still get another one as the passive one will start the bike and that's all you need to do to program a new one.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
Just get a passive FOB. $30 I believe plus programming. If you lose the active FOB, you can still get another one as the passive one will start the bike and that's all you need to do to program a new one.

This. as long as you can unlock the ignition you're in business. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Fibbidiboo

• Big Wheels
New ECU/FOB combo has arrived. Last step coming up...I hope. When I took one of the blank accessory keys that I bought ($12) to a local locksmith he cut it and it did not work originally. I have to pull the key out about an eighth of an inch before it turns the seat lock, a similiar jiggle for one of the saddle bags, no dice for the fuel tank and other bag. The guy swears his machine is precise but I won't take my other spare to him. I found another entry in the owners manual that confirms the code so it must has been an error in cutting it although I wonder if it could have been an 'A' key when I ordered a 'B', and would that be the source of my problem? It looks exactly like the large picture in the owners manual although it is hard to tell about the ridge that runs above the cuts. (come to think of it I don't think my old key was able to fit but one way into the lock. On this new cut it goes in both ways)
Anyway, it turns out our CAA coverage (yes, Canada) will cover a tow to the Kawasaki dealer so it looks like I get a break there. Bottom line, if there are no more unforeseen expenses, the total cost of idiocy and procrastination is about $810 and three lost weeks of fabulous Florida driving weather! Here's the breakdown: ECU/FOB=$704, key blank for Active FOB=$12.73, key blank for passive fob=$12.20, spare passive fob=$27.50, dealer charge to program the devices=$50. Everything bought from Partzilla. Despite their screw-up in sending the wrong ECU,they more than made up for it with the ECU charge, given that the list price on that part is $911! Hard to believe but I almost feel like I came out of this OK.
I said almost! :'(. But then again I haven't gotten it in the dealer's hands yet. Hopefully this will be my last entry on this subject. Thanks to all the advisors for your assistance!

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
The "A" and "B" style keys are not interchangeable.  If you have an "A" system the "B" keys will not fit into the lock at all.  Same the other way around.  Look at the "A" and "B" diagrams in this image and you will see they are reversed from each other:

2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline jonathan

• Road Bike
New ECU/FOB combo has arrived. Last step coming up...I hope. When I took one of the blank accessory keys that I bought ($12) to a local locksmith he cut it and it did not work originally. I have to pull the key out about an eighth of an inch before it turns the seat lock, a similiar jiggle for one of the saddle bags, no dice for the fuel tank and other bag. The guy swears his machine is precise but I won't take my other spare to him. I found another entry in the owners manual that confirms the code so it must has been an error in cutting it although I wonder if it could have been an 'A' key when I ordered a 'B', and would that be the source of my problem? It looks exactly like the large picture in the owners manual although it is hard to tell about the ridge that runs above the cuts. (come to think of it I don't think my old key was able to fit but one way into the lock. On this new cut it goes in both ways)
Anyway, it turns out our CAA coverage (yes, Canada) will cover a tow to the Kawasaki dealer so it looks like I get a break there. Bottom line, if there are no more unforeseen expenses, the total cost of idiocy and procrastination is about $810 and three lost weeks of fabulous Florida driving weather! Here's the breakdown: ECU/FOB=$704, key blank for Active FOB=$12.73, key blank for passive fob=$12.20, spare passive fob=$27.50, dealer charge to program the devices=$50. Everything bought from Partzilla. Despite their screw-up in sending the wrong ECU,they more than made up for it with the ECU charge, given that the list price on that part is $911! Hard to believe but I almost feel like I came out of this OK.
I said almost! :'(. But then again I haven't gotten it in the dealer's hands yet. Hopefully this will be my last entry on this subject. Thanks to all the advisors for your assistance!

Don't leave us hanging. We want to know the ending.
Calgary, Alberta

Offline Gitbox

• Road Bike
All this KIPASS talk is making me glad I bought an FJR.  :-\

(did I just say that on a C14 forum?? I'm in for it now.)  :)

Before you flame me too much, I proudly rode a C10 for about six years.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline Fibbidiboo

• Big Wheels
THE FINAL CHAPTER...
So as I rode in the cab of the AAA flatbed to the dealer I felt a little unsettled, like there was still time for something else to go wrong. Sure, I had the new ECU plugged in, was clutching the baggie of fobs and keys (and the bags they came in), and happy that a call to the local dealer  got him to match the much farther away dealer's price to program everything, and the assurance from the service manager a tech would get to it once he returned from lunch. But I didn't wait around and returned home at 1PM.
At 4:35 the call came to tell me it didn't work, that the ECU didn't recognize the fob. Kaw. customer service said the code it generated could only mean they were mismatched, their evidence they did not come as a set was when they were told I bought the passive, or emergency fob separately. They insisted both fobs were supposed to come with the ECU (perhaps thinking that at $ 900+ both SHOULD have). So I had to repeatedly tell the service mgr. that no, only the Active fob comes with it and I did buy the other separately.  So we hung up with him to call KCS yet again and once more a funk enveloped me, partly because after talking to them myself several times the Kaw. Customer Service Department was of almost no help. In fact, they were a hinderance in this case.
At 7:35 the service guy calls again, and in an obvious attempt to sound heroic said he told his tech to try it one more time. Well waddaya know...it worked! Magically it worked, and now everything is mated and registered and we're one happy family again! No mention that maybe his tech hooked it up wrong.
I'll pick up the bike tomorrow, give it a long ride on a beautiful sunny day, take it home....then look for its replacement. This experience, and one with a Kaw. jetski a couple years back has completely soured me on this company. Fine products yes, but an awful company in my mind and they will get no more of my hard earned dollars if I can help it. They insult the consumer with this stupid KiPass design and do so year after year after year.
Safe riding to all who have read this, and may your FOB be with you!

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
THE FINAL CHAPTER...
I'll pick up the bike tomorrow, give it a long ride on a beautiful sunny day, take it home....then look for its replacement. This experience, and one with a Kaw. jetski a couple years back has completely soured me on this company. Fine products yes, but an awful company in my mind and they will get no more of my hard earned dollars if I can help it. They insult the consumer with this stupid KiPass design and do so year after year after year.

Sorry to hear,
You are writing off a fantastic bike that is UNMATCHED in performance per dollar. Your choice of course but all based on your mistake, not Kawasaki.
Enjoy whatever ride you find to replace it and I hope it never gives you an instant of trouble since that will inevitably be the fault of the manufacturer also.
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Online Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090

It's the same problem with cars as well.

I have a Jeep and a couple summers ago, the FOB/Ignition system crapped out. Well past warranty. Had to tow the vehicle miles and miles to get to a dealer. Two new FOBs and ignition box and a week later, back on the road. Then the vehicle gets recalled for the exact same problem. Talk about timing. Two more new FOBs and yet another new ignition box, this time on the dealer's dime.

I have a bucket of spare C14 keys. However, I'm tempted to mount my C14 FOB PERMANENTLY to my bike with the battery removed. Then run wires to a custom connector where-by I can temporarily attach 3VDC just to start the bike. Then I could start the bike with any 3V battery source. The connector would NOT look like anything you would recognize. Hmmmm...I may just do that.  >:D
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
https://harrymartincartoons.com

Offline Bobby Lee

• 2010 Neptune candy blue
  • Mini Bike
  • South central
  • COG#: 11740
well I guess i better make some changes after reading this.    >:(

I sure dont want to go thu that

Love the change

Offline Landon

• Scooter

If its really that big of issue for you why don't you permanently mount(3M tape) the passive fob on the steering column and just have a couple ignition keys cut and treat the bike like all the other bikes you have owned without Kipass.
Landon
2012 C14 Arabian Red

Offline Shoe

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 6059
I have to look at this story as a positive for the KiPass system. If anything is positive about it. Its a theft deterrent.
Most modern vehicles have some sort of anti-theft system such as a chip key or cyber lock. That's why car jackings
are in the news. Back under my rock.  :bedtime2:
Shoe

Offline Fibbidiboo

• Big Wheels
Well I can see that my last post resulted in several missing my point. Matt, how many of us riders can tell if this bike is UNMATCHED by the competition? Or truly care? Perhaps you are a pro rider that takes it to the limit more often than not. I'm just an old man who loves motorcycles and cruising through the twisties at grin inducing speeds. I don't need the worlds best to do that. I am not writing off the bike, it is Kawasaki I'm writing off. Just my way to protest the way they treat their customers with this system, and my experience with them with their jetskis. You deplete your wallet of a cool grand because you lost your key and maybe you won't be so rah-rah anymore. You snipe about it being my fault  as though you are mistake proof in your life. But your Kawasaki patriotism has blinded you to the reality of what this system has done to its owners. How many have bought several extra fobs, hid them in clever places, added electronic trackers, and fancy lanyards, all to keep from going through what I did. Name me any other vehicle that engenders that kind of fear of losing a simple ignition key. And for those who say KiPass works, I never will argue that , but does anybody know the data that supports such a punishing design, like maybe 83% less stolen Concours than FJR's for example? I don't see how anyone can make a case for this design as being worth the potential cost.
I've had enough motorcycles in my life to know that this is not the end all be all motorcycle that screams buy me over any other similar type and ignore the wringer Kawasaki puts the customer through when I act as a human and make a mistake. And guess what...if they modified the design it would still be an UNMATCHED motorcycle. Just one that wouldn't piss off its customers as much.
So at the end of the day I make  my protest my way, with my wallet. My now bruised wallet.