Author Topic: Yet another Valve Adjust thread....  (Read 10615 times)

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Yet another Valve Adjust thread....
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2014, 11:03:28 am »
Rem makes a good point.  On the Gen 2’s, the manual calls for the horn bracket to be removed, and the top radiator bolts removed, so that the radiator can tilt forward, which in turn pulls the air dam away from the top of the valve cover.  If you are in there, and flushing the coolant anyway, why not just remove the radiator and clean it up.  It should also make torqueing the header bolts a lot easier too.   Genius. 

Once you remove all the plastic, sub frame brackets, and wiring harnesses, pulling the valve cover and doing the valve work is actually interesting, and dare I say… fun.
Silver 2011 C-14 and 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+.  Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline The10KGuy

• Tricycle
  • Ironman Finisher - 89,91,94,96, 2000, 2001
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10000
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2014, 05:00:29 pm »
I'm a bit sick after reading the first section of this thread.  Yesterday I dropped off my 11 for the valve check at 32,603mi.  No one at the dealer stated they didn't have the skill or experience to tackle the job.  Now I wonder what is really going on at the dealer today.  Are they just standing around smokin' and jokin' or are they really going to open up and check the valves, let alone shim the ones out of spec?

I'm not able to do the job so I'm trusting them completely on doing the job correctly.

Could someone refresh me on what I would expect if they've screwed up the job...a valve shooting by my crotch?
If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
2011 Kawasaki C14 (equipped with an ACME thermonuclear linear accelerator designed by Wile E. Coyote) Ironman Finisher - 89,91,94,96, 2000, 2001

COG Member #10,000
Ironbutt member

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2014, 05:35:27 pm »
There will be no way to know for sure if the job was done correctly, if at all.  After measuring and calculating the new shim sizes, the next step is remove the cams and buckets the make the shim swaps.  After the cams go back in and everything is lined up and torqued, the next step is to measure the clearances again.  It may be possible to miscalculate and actually make a clearance worse.  The mechanic would need to start the process of removing the cams all over again.  If they are pinched for time or under pressure from the boss, that could make the clearances worse if they just walk away at that point. 

The issue is, that is just one scenario.  Did they strip anything or drop a dowel pin into the engine?   Are they measuring the shims properly?  I witnessed when swapping shims with my dealer, that they were measuring a full size smaller than what was correct with their digital calipers.  The number of things that can go wrong could be many.  You need to trust your mechanics, or do it yourself to know for sure. 

Telltale signs of the job perhaps going wrong might be the fairings are not installed properly, rubber air dams are not fitted properly, or the idle adjuster is trapped inside the fairing.  If you pick up the bike and see things like that, I would start asking questions.  Sorry to put the worry back on, but anything can happen, and hopefully a good mechanic will make it right and better than when you started. 

I know how you feel, because my Audi is at the dealer right now for warranty work to replace a crankshaft seal, and pressure crankcase regulating valve.  That is major surgery, and I hope like heck they know what they are doing!
Silver 2011 C-14 and 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+.  Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Squid4life

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11499
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2014, 05:44:31 pm »
I kind of feel the same way...i just got my c-14(08) still with 22k's...however reading threads like this get me real worry. I mean i dont think dealers around my way would tackle a job like that or better yet i wont even trust them to.

When the times comes(very soon)..i think i rather will take it to a season member that could definetely do it. After all i rather pay a fellow member than a dealer....btw and not to hijack the thread but anybody near the nyc area that you guys can recomend?
I Read More than I Post!!!

Offline Cold Streak

• Cold Streak
  • Moped
  • 952-215-2264
  • COG#: 8811
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2014, 05:47:52 pm »
You should ask for a valve map which shows the original clearance, the shim sizes, original and replacement, then a final shim map of the new clearances.  They could easily make this part of it up, but probably won't.  The map is no extra work for them because they need to do it anyway.  All you need is a copy of it.
COG #8811
14 Kawi KLR650 NE
08 Kawi Concours
75 Kawi H1

Offline Joe

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10990
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2014, 05:48:09 pm »
I have someone in mind to do my valve adjust, or any other major service I don't feel up to tackling. 

C&P from the site ref price of service...

OEM RECOMMENDED VALVE ADJUSTMENT SERVICE
$420  (GL1800ABS, FJR1300, Concours 1400, ZX10R, M109, ST1300, CBR929/954)

This is time consuming and on average I spend 7-8 hours to do one bike to make sure it is properly done, but there are also bikes that I easily spend  10+ hours on. This service includes valves adjustment, throttle body sync/carburetor sync, TPS adjustment, oil/filter change, air filter cleaning or replacing, new spark plugs installed, cable adjustments and lubing, drive chain adjustment or final drive fluid changed, brake fluid flushed and pads checked, tire air pressures set, lights all checked and more. The service manual checklist is complete, insuring that your motorcycle will perform its best.
2012 C14 Black
2001 C10.  SOLD
CDA #444.

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2014, 06:21:37 pm »
Wow, this thread is turning into a valve adjustsunami or something.

To paraphrase the robot "Danger Will [Concours owner], Danger!"

;)

Hey, is anyone ascairt that the valve lash might be too LOOSE? If we can round up some of those people and lock them in a room with those who have the 'too tight' terror, perhaps it will all balance out, emotionally speaking? I mean it would be really difficult for someone terrified that his / her valves were too loose to play off and rabble rouse with those concerned that his / her valve lash is too tight, right?

And besides, there are other things to worry about besides motorcycle valves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo

Brian
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2014, 06:37:36 pm »
Discussing loose valves would be like discussing having too much gas. Both are so rare they are not worth mentioning.  :nananana:

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2014, 06:54:36 pm »
You are probably right- better to just be terrified of the valves being too tight; fear of them being too loose would be silly I guess. Sorry, I just had a moment of phobophobia there....

:rotflmao:

Brian

Discussing loose valves would be like discussing having too much gas. Both are so rare they are not worth mentioning.  :nananana:
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2014, 07:01:12 pm »
we're bored today,  apparently  :beerchug:
KiPass!

Offline Squid4life

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11499
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2014, 07:04:03 pm »
Loose or tight they always seem to be OUT of specs......
I Read More than I Post!!!

Offline BlueZX10R

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11715
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2014, 07:05:07 pm »

I don't know, my wife frequently tells me I have too much gas.
-James
2013 Concours 14, 2007 ZX10R, 1981 CB750, 1977 TS250B

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2014, 07:08:00 pm »
Discussing loose valves would be like discussing having too much Fuel. Both are so rare they are not worth mentioning.  :nananana:

I don't know, my wife frequently tells me I have too much gas.
True :rotflmao:  I fixed it....