Author Topic: zddp - did someone say oil thread?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
zddp - did someone say oil thread?
« on: November 05, 2014, 05:14:07 pm »
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
Re: zddp - did someone say oil thread?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 05:26:31 pm »

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 12:59:52 pm »
So I guess I'm the only player... but I was wondering if y'all had made the connection between oils high in zddp and the cats  :-[  Steve

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 2293
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 02:19:53 pm »
I already played yesterday.

Maybe if you had posted it originally in the open forum more people would have played from the get-go.   ::)

Yes, I do own a C14.

BTW, don't our mods frown on multiple postings?
All God's male children tend to be low-life, sleaze-ball, early apexers - Terry Earwood, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School.

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 02:44:49 pm »
Quote from: JPavlis_CA link=topic=55279.msg407476#msg407476 date=1415287193

BTW, don't our mods frown on multiple postings?

[/quote

Not that I hadn't considered it, but these are all technical oriented posts, and the open forum really isn't the place for that. Also, most folks visit either the c-10 OR the 14 forums, but not both. Hard to reach folks just posting in a single technical section. If someone has a better solution, I'm on board. Steve

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 03:04:48 pm »
Hard to reach folks just posting in a single technical section. If someone has a better solution, I'm on board.

I've promoted that since the late 90's, never got anywhere. IMO, there should be two general sections - one for riding gear, and one for general tech discussions. After all, those things apply to all of us no matter what we ride.

So I have a C10 and  C14... I gotta ask the same question in two different locations? Say, what's the best oil to use?

But the admins say it's redundant, too hard to control people's behavior (let's not get started on that), etc. Butt... people's behavior will change with time and reinforcement. Users get used to using the new sections.

There are times when I miss the old COG mail list. I didn't have to go scouring through different forum sections to find stuff I might be interested in because my mail handler's rules filters did all the heavy lifting. All these years and I still haven't found a way to do the same thing as elegantly on forums.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 03:13:12 pm by JPavlis_CA »
All God's male children tend to be low-life, sleaze-ball, early apexers - Terry Earwood, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School.

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 03:14:38 pm »
:nananana: Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpwrlWJMd40

Meh - this guy isn't doing anything other appealing to authority (his own) and making unsupported statements.

At least the first video mentions the reasons for zinc concerns/lowering (though he also didn't provide any substantiation). I did find it funny how he said:

"the industry has put a lot of effort into assuring consumers that this level is ok for your engine"

as opposed to something like:

"the industry has performed a great deal of research and testing to verify the efficacy and catalytic performance of these levels of zinc".

Two very different statements. But he ain't much of a speaker. Why did Valvoline allow him to do that spot!? LOL

Do I think today's levels of zinc are ok for cats, and ok for most late-model new engines? Yes. Would I be concerned with older engines? Yes, depending on year built/rebuilt/designed, and materials used. Generally speaking, I'd want to use an oil with similar levels of zinc to the available oils when an engine was designed - because that's what they'd be designed around.

As for synthetics - yea, I'd NEVER put synth into a high mileage vehicle...for the same reason I'd never change trans fluid on a high mileage car with an unknown history (or one that I know hasn't been properly maintained). I've seen first hand what can happen in these scenarios - the new fluids' detergent and hydraulic properties can cause issues with seals. But I've only seen this with high-mileage, poorly maintained vehicles.

Of course, in my 200k miles Ridgeline (which I bought at 100k) - nothing but synth. T6 in my Connie (which I bought with 25k or 35k). Our old '96 Subaru - dino oil (she burns a bit anyway, no sense wasting money there). Toyota Matrix - bought with 45k on the odo, gets dino - that engine has been around since about 1977 with virtually no change. She'll see 200k on dino, no problem (because we don't abuse the car).

Good link on the first vid, just wish they (like any of them) would put in MOAR DATA.

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 03:17:06 pm »
All that said and getting back on topic....

After using Mobil 1 Synth forever!....  I'm about to try T6 for the very first time!  How soon before my cat gets plugged up?  And will switching cause seals to leak?

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 06:43:42 pm »

After using Mobil 1 Synth forever!....  I'm about to try T6 for the very first time!  How soon before my cat gets plugged up?  And will switching cause seals to leak?

it will be over 90,000 miles. thats where mine is at with T6 and no issues to report  :beerchug:
KiPass!

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 12:50:18 am »

it will be over 90,000 miles. thats where mine is at with T6 and no issues to report  :beerchug:

Hey there #9334, you are riding that thing. :great: :great: :great:

Later.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold