Author Topic: Zero electrical power  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Fox

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Zero electrical power
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2019, 02:59:00 am »
Work has had me running ragged and the bike just sat in the warehouse for the past few months. Managed to extract the key from the new lock cylinder, (had to dismantle the old one to figure out how, it's not easy and i'm about 90 percent sure you aren't doing it without pulling the nose off the bike.) So over the next few days I'll start reassembly of plastics and doing the electrical checks MOB posted, THANKS for that BTW.

In other odd findings, getting a gas cap off when you don't have the key to it kind of sucks, required much more force than i expected to break the cylinder to get it to release. Got the new one on and it's working like a charm.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2019, 06:56:01 pm »
I don't recall much sparking when I replaced the battery in my 09. I also have the red flashing dash light turned off.

In fear of getting the  obligatory "Read the Phaaaqing Manual".....How do you turn off the flashing red dash light?

Craig

Thanks Tim and Blues!!   :))

Craig

Turn the bike off and push both dash buttons on the dash at the same for 2 seconds within 20 seconds after turning the bike off. To turn it back on same drill.

MOB, you might not like this but you got this one wrong. When you turn the flashing light off, it stays off until you turn it back on. Mines been off for a few years which includes a battery change. The same won't be said for a flashing red warning light.

The flashing light I believe the OP is talking about is the flashing red light of the interrupter. Thinking about it we could both be right or both be wrong.

Thanks Tim and Blues!!   :))

Craig
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2019, 08:49:44 pm »
A thought hit my mind. Has the bike been down? If so it could be tip over switch. But when my crash buddie got me it worked as advertised. Set the bike back up.t up. It had sat long enough for the police to finish gathering info for their report. While the police was working on the info we gathered up all the plastic. When it was time to go the bike started right up.

In my mind, I'm thinking if the fuses are good, the battery is good there has to be something else keeping the electrons from flowing. bad thing is I don't know where to look for it.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2019, 10:59:21 pm »
I wonder if the tip over switch is at fault? To me resurrect means it was crashed.

wouldn't hurt to unplug it and replug it back in, strange things do happen....
The tip switch supposedly "resets" upon righting the bike tho, when I tipped mine over in the garage, and got it vertical again, I had no issue starting mine. But when it fell, it wasn't "running" at the time.
Also, unpluging and repluging in all the harness points up front, around the relays, and big bundles may provide some semblences of corrective action, could just be som oxidation on one connector in one plug....

it's free, so might as well do it.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...