Author Topic: ZG's Go Green paint project - 2012 ZX14R Special Edition Green  (Read 111914 times)

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
  • Membership Level: Active
ZG's Go Green paint project - 2012 ZX14R Special Edition Green
« on: January 23, 2013, 08:20:15 pm »
I'm thinking about painting my 09 Connie in the 2012 ZX14R green, should I or shouldn't I? Let me know your thoughts and feedback....

If you're not familiar with the color it can be seen below on this clip I found, about 1 minute in it shows some close up shots of the heavy metallic in it, in person it really pops IMO!

I think with everything else that I've powdercoated black on my Connie it might look pretty good, I'm on the fence though...

My current bodywork is in mint condition, but over the past couple days I've built a list from ebay to get all the body panels and tank for about $1500 (some items with surface paint scratches but no cracks/dents and all mounting tabs in tact), that way I could save the oem black body if I wanted to switch back later or swap back and fourth...

For Sale! 2012 Kawasaki ZX14R Ninja Golden Blazed Green

In case you haven't seen it here is what my Connie currently looks like...

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:46:28 pm by ZG »
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Dave Scott

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Should I paint my 09 Connie 2012 ZX14R green?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 08:29:11 pm »
I think it would look great!

Offline PaleRider

• Street Cruiser
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 08:34:34 pm »
Would you change your logo to say "green is faster" ?
Have Owned 2004 Honda VFR, 2004 Honda ST1300, 2000 Triumph Sprint ST.
Now 2012 ZG1400 in Pearl Arabian Red

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 08:48:58 pm »
Would you change your logo to say "green is faster" ?

Yep, green has always been faster than black...  ;D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:09:00 am by ZG »

Offline Glenn

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10332
  • Membership Level: Marketing Officer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 09:54:11 pm »
Since you can go back, I would say, paint it.  Would probably look great. :great:

BTW, that ZX14 needs new mufflers.   

Offline TJ

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 10:21:49 pm »
I do not think that you should do it because it would make me even more envious than I already am..... :beerchug:

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • COG#: 10640
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 11:05:06 pm »

Are you gonna pack the plastic back and forth to Motosport depending on the time of the month and color preference?   :)

Couple of these things called toolboxes look good in the garage too. Just think of all the drunk late night e-baying you could do finding tools to fill them.  :great:

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 11:31:36 pm »
 :)) :)) :))

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 11:40:19 pm »
I think that this is your latest ploy to get more attention to that bike.  :))

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director (Past)
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9932
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 11:58:13 pm »
Do it! Do it! Do it!
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby. Still in it to Win it.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 12:07:10 am »

>:D  :)

So is that a vote for "yes do it" Cap'n?  ???

Offline dirt_biker

• Best bike I've ever road.
  • Bicycle
  • The only way to ride and I Love it! (C14)
  • COG#: 9307
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 05:34:25 am »
  :-\ Yes that would look out standing with all the black :great: trimmed
And down the road I'd like to do it to my 09 :motonoises:
2015 C14,  Full AreaP, and 2" Risers, Garmin GPS, Rosta CC, PR3's, These are the other rides I have now. 76 KZ900, 98 KX500, 06 CR450R, 75 CR250M, 04 Vforce 700, 09 KFX450r

Offline nando

• Transport C-14
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10454
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 07:25:21 am »
My vote is an absolute unwavering NO! DO NOT PAINT YOUR BIKE GREEN... >:(

Green is a ridiculous color for a vehicle...especially a bike   >:(   >:(   >:(

You should create a unique design for you bike since it is so unique. Maybe a really neat two tone, a fading color going into another tone or something creative. A unique color mix maybe...not green!

Painting your very unique bike to a green is too much of a copy-cat dude! Green yuk!  :-[

Don't ruin my image of you!  and don't make me take the 6 by 8 foot picture of your bike off of my living room wall...I am already going to therapy for several things, don't let my idol bike disillusion me into another post traumatic depression...Oh! Lord have mercy on me, ZG is going to paint my favorite bike the color I hate...

but I don't feel that strong about it one way or the other.......
I am voting for anyone who wasn't there during the government shut-down.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 08:00:44 am »

>:D  :)

So is that a vote for "yes do it" Cap'n?  ???

Well Jay, In my case. I'm not voting either way. I feel it's really only what you think that matters. So I am not casting an official vote in your poll. But since your calling me out, I'll give you an unofficial opinion.  :D
  So as much as I like the ZX green. Your bike really looks great in black. The reason that I do not want to say that I am voting, is because it's really up to you, not me. And your the one who has to live with the cost and any possible ramifications after the fact if you so choose to change the color. Of course you also get the rewards if it works out in a good way for you. So I really feel that I should not have a vote. The only vote that counts is yours. So I'll abstain from voting.
    My opinion for a friend just asking it?  Truthfully I like the look of both. The up side of leaving it black is that if for some unforeseen problem, replacing a OEM black panel is a lot less trouble than having to have any replacement panels painted to match. And although you could get sun fade on the OEM panels, repainting the green may not ever match perfectly to match the previous green paint job. Then of course it costs a bunch of time and money to paint it green in the first place. I understand that tossing lots of $$$ at your Connie has not been an issue for you in the past. So I doubt that it's really a deciding factor this time otherwise you probably wouldn't be asking for votes in the first place. Unless of course your just being an attention whore.  :))
   So IMO, If it were me, I would probably leave it black for a couple of reasons. One: For the extra trouble replacing parts following any unforeseen trouble. And two, being that you already have one of, if not the best looking C14 out there. Why mess with what already works? But like I said Jay, I'm not really voting since really it's all on you to decide what you should do. Besides, I have said many times how much I like the  Kawasaki green. Although if your going to do it, I prefer the 2009 ZX14 green better.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 09:38:03 am »
I will state why I voted no, and I'm sure it will draw fire. Is ok, or in the immortal words of John Connor, "no problemo"

Also I got a lot of grief over at the ZX14 forum for the same general issue. Not the color, but something involved in the mystique of the color. Let me explain.

Despite the fact Kawasaki is getting its butt handed it to it every year for as long as I care to remember on the roadrace circuits of the world, every performance Kawasaki bike homologated into a street legal version sold to the public (Ninja 250, 300, 600, 650, 10R...) has been available in Kawasaki green.

Yet Kawasaki has never offered (afaik) a Z1000 in Kawasaki green, nor a bagger. Only talking about street bikes, now, the dirt bikes win all the time in supercross and such.

So there is tradition here... the tradition that only the flagship homologated race bike will get the green livery, as well as an occasional non-race bike that represents Kawasaki going big on street performance, like the ZX14 and ZX14R. And even then they discourage you from buying one in green by charging an arm and a leg for the privilege.

So a Connie should never be Kawasaki green. If you want to make it lime green, go ahead, they are not the same color.

Now, why did I get flamed in the ZX14 world? Because I expressed the intensely related opinion the ZX14R (2012+) does not deserve the R suffix. Oh that got them going!

The R suffix, like the Kawasaki green color, is traditionally reserved for homologated race bikes. The best example today is the ZX10R of WSB fame.

The ZX14 is not a homolograted race bike, and its not even a premier drag bike, the a$$kickers on the 1/4 mile are Harleys and Hyabusas. I saw a Hyabusa turbo on Pass Time do a 7.92 quarter and that was with a really bad reaction time and tire spin at the line. So the ZX14 has never, and will never, deserve the R suffix.

Going a bit afield (naw, I never do that) but Kawasaki is going to have to completely re-engineer the 10R to the point few of the parts will be interchangeable with previous years because it eats tires likes crazy on the race track. They spent 2011 and 2012 moving the engine, gas tank, top fairing, seat, swing arm mount location, shock anchor points, even the subframe and frame got changed slightly, and it still eats tires. So until they figure it out and build an all new 10R incorporating the new geometry and weight distribution, Sykes is never going to be consistant podium finisher, even though he leads 80% of all WSB races' laps in 2012. Yep, way out ahead, looking like Wayne Rayney, and then with 10 laps or less to go, the tires go away and he ends up in 3rd or 4th place. Sad.

Ok, so don't paint it, because more than just me will laugh at it and point fingers and call it a race wannabe.

Because a bike has to earn the right to wear Kawasaki green on the race track. Even if from time to time Kawasaki itself violates its own traditions. They have lost their way in road racing.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:42:19 am by JR »
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 02:21:17 pm »
Ok, so don't paint it, because more than just me will laugh at it and point fingers and call it a race wannabe.
:rotflmao:

Nice write up. Although I do not agree with all of it, I enjoyed reading your opinion. I voted NO as well.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 02:32:53 pm »
You guys are making some great opposing points guys, that's exactly what I was hoping for, thanks! Please keep the feedback and thoughts coming...

:popcorncouple:

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 03:16:17 pm »
ZG it just occurred to me, regarding your obsession with black and gold....

Black and gold are the colors of West Point. The sports teams wear it, the regimental and corps colors wear it, lots of clothing sports it, a whole lot of printed material either intentionally or subconsciously mirrors the two colors.

OK, enough space cadeting, on with arguing about K-green Concours 14s (which will never come from the factory, unless Kawk loses its collective mind)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline PaleRider

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 03:45:52 pm »
I thought the Voyager came in green?
Have Owned 2004 Honda VFR, 2004 Honda ST1300, 2000 Triumph Sprint ST.
Now 2012 ZG1400 in Pearl Arabian Red

Offline ConnieFan

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 04:08:41 pm »
Here's an idea.

Why not buy a second bike, one of the many neutron silver's out there, and paint that one green.

:)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Every day above ground is a good day.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 05:09:24 pm »
I thought the Voyager came in green?

I think you are right. I am pretty sure I saw one at my dealership, and they had to bring a bucket and mop to take care of my vomit.

Wonder if they did it more than one year. If so, then I say paint her K-green, ZG, because Kawasaki has lost their collective minds and are a lost cause.

:rotflmao:

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 05:13:32 pm »
Here's an idea.

Why not buy a second bike, one of the many neutron silver's out there, and paint that one green.

:)

Well I have had 2 of the same bike before but it was more due to hard to find parts, and wanting to mod one and keep one stock...

But I don't see me wanting 2 C14's, the parts are a plenty and easily to find for cheap on ebay etc. Plus I wouldn't want another one because then it wouldn't have all the other mods done to it that I have and like (Ohlins, Muzzys, Corbin, etc)... That's why I thought just having a 2nd set of bodywork might work...
 ???

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 05:19:41 pm »
You could get the Japanese garage shop bodywork on eBay pretty cheap, and its really not too bad if the holes are drilled right.  :rotflmao:

Then paint it K-green and be happy!

Offline Wyorider

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 10331
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 05:44:17 pm »
Talking from a painters perspective I would stay away from the Blazing Green because its a tri-coat.Which means there's a base coat and than 2-4 coats of the candy color that would go on.And matching that from panel to panel gets pretty iffy on sportbikes.The only way to get them right is to almost keep the panels on the bike and spray so the candy color is consitant.Even my 06 ZX14 I painted with PPG Anti-freeze green isn't perfect.Plus those colors like to fade a little over the years,
  Paint it green but with a simple base coat clear coat(2 stage). :beerchug:

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 05:46:59 pm »
Ya get two. Ahhh memories  :great: