Author Topic: ZG's Go Green paint project - 2012 ZX14R Special Edition Green  (Read 111739 times)

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Should I paint my 09 Connie 2012 ZX14R green?
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 06:18:19 pm »
You could get the Japanese garage shop bodywork on eBay pretty cheap, and its really not too bad if the holes are drilled right.  :rotflmao:

Then paint it K-green and be happy!

What is the logic on getting the aftermarket bodywork JR? The stock bodywork that just has scratches (which obviously doesn't matter for painting) is really cheap off ebay and plenty to choose from, as long as no cracks/dents and mounting tabs are in tact then I can choose from silverdammit, black, or red gen 1 oem bodywork options...

???
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline beegee

• Street Cruiser
    • http://hobbysandlife-moto-fotos.blogspot.be/
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 06:22:50 pm »
a german guy painted it to show you  ;)  :  http://hobbysandlife-moto-fotos.blogspot.be/

Offline nando

• Transport C-14
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10454
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 06:30:40 pm »
a german guy painted it to show you  ;)  :  http://hobbysandlife-moto-fotos.blogspot.be/

There you are: a good example of how ugly your bike would look painted green

AND, several examples of what I suggested regarding painting your bike in a unique way more in synch with ZG than a copycat green from racing marketeers.

I am all upset let me tell you...You biker is the icon of this forum...and tempering with that holy grail is nearly sacrilegious...

Can I vote twice? NO! SAY NO TO GREEN!
I am voting for anyone who wasn't there during the government shut-down.

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 06:38:25 pm »
my two cents..GO FOR IT,I think it would be cool,not to mention highly visible to the texting,phoning, nose pickin cage drivers. If they hit you on this, they were aimin for you , Have you had any quotes on cost to do this? :)) :beerchug:
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline PaleRider

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 06:39:23 pm »
I also voted no.   But having another set of plastics painted green might be a fun idea. I always wanted to get another set for my Honda ST1300 and paint it the RWB VFR colors. I also like Lamborghini orange.
Have Owned 2004 Honda VFR, 2004 Honda ST1300, 2000 Triumph Sprint ST.
Now 2012 ZG1400 in Pearl Arabian Red

Offline Pat and Sher in MA

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7670
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 06:48:26 pm »
I like the K-green but I would get the second set of body work and paint it the deeper green
that the other countries got a few years back. Kind of like the 1997 & 98 C10's but just a little
bit brighter. Something along the lines of British Racing Green perhaps  :motonoises:
Pat & Sher in Ma.  04 C10 Dark Angel,  87 Ninja 600RX

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 07:48:23 pm »

Offline Brass

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 08:40:19 pm »
I will state why I voted no, and I'm sure it will draw fire. Is ok, or in the immortal words of John Connor, "no problemo"

Also I got a lot of grief over at the ZX14 forum for the same general issue. Not the color, but something involved in the mystique of the color. Let me explain.

Despite the fact Kawasaki is getting its butt handed it to it every year for as long as I care to remember on the roadrace circuits of the world, every performance Kawasaki bike homologated into a street legal version sold to the public (Ninja 250, 300, 600, 650, 10R...) has been available in Kawasaki green.

Yet Kawasaki has never offered (afaik) a Z1000 in Kawasaki green, nor a bagger. Only talking about street bikes, now, the dirt bikes win all the time in supercross and such.

So there is tradition here... the tradition that only the flagship homologated race bike will get the green livery, as well as an occasional non-race bike that represents Kawasaki going big on street performance, like the ZX14 and ZX14R. And even then they discourage you from buying one in green by charging an arm and a leg for the privilege.

So a Connie should never be Kawasaki green. If you want to make it lime green, go ahead, they are not the same color.

Now, why did I get flamed in the ZX14 world? Because I expressed the intensely related opinion the ZX14R (2012+) does not deserve the R suffix. Oh that got them going!

The R suffix, like the Kawasaki green color, is traditionally reserved for homologated race bikes. The best example today is the ZX10R of WSB fame.

The ZX14 is not a homolograted race bike, and its not even a premier drag bike, the a$$kickers on the 1/4 mile are Harleys and Hyabusas. I saw a Hyabusa turbo on Pass Time do a 7.92 quarter and that was with a really bad reaction time and tire spin at the line. So the ZX14 has never, and will never, deserve the R suffix.

Going a bit afield (naw, I never do that) but Kawasaki is going to have to completely re-engineer the 10R to the point few of the parts will be interchangeable with previous years because it eats tires likes crazy on the race track. They spent 2011 and 2012 moving the engine, gas tank, top fairing, seat, swing arm mount location, shock anchor points, even the subframe and frame got changed slightly, and it still eats tires. So until they figure it out and build an all new 10R incorporating the new geometry and weight distribution, Sykes is never going to be consistant podium finisher, even though he leads 80% of all WSB races' laps in 2012. Yep, way out ahead, looking like Wayne Rayney, and then with 10 laps or less to go, the tires go away and he ends up in 3rd or 4th place. Sad.

Ok, so don't paint it, because more than just me will laugh at it and point fingers and call it a race wannabe.

Because a bike has to earn the right to wear Kawasaki green on the race track. Even if from time to time Kawasaki itself violates its own traditions. They have lost their way in road racing.

The Kawi Vaquero or however you spell it can be had in green

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-specifications.aspx?id=576
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:44:16 pm by Brass »
Shaun - Collegeville PA
2017 Yamaha FZ-07

Offline beegee

• Street Cruiser
    • http://hobbysandlife-moto-fotos.blogspot.be/
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 09:12:57 pm »
this is maybe a better idea...
posted by a friend in the dutchspeaking forum in the heart of europe...
looks good !

(and yes... he had a little problem to put the bike in the middle ;-))

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:14:46 pm by beegee »

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 12:42:44 am »
Have you had any quotes on cost to do this?

I went by my painters today and showed them some pics of Phils plastics all layed out from when he painted his C14 from silverdammit to red. We found the correct paint code, they're contacting color-rite for cost of the paint and will also figure out the labor cost, hope to have a $# back from them tomorrow.

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director (Past)
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9932
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 01:06:39 am »
Why you guy's trying to talk Z outta this? I'm seeing this as a win/win. If it comes out nice we can all ooh and aww somemore over Z's mad skills and creative mind. Then again if it fails we have several years of smack talk. Sorry, I'm not seeing the downside. :great:
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby. Still in it to Win it.

Offline Big Mike

• Moped
  • Binghamton, NY
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 01:48:25 am »
I voted no and tend to agree with much of what JR posted.....No green on a touring bike leave to the race bikes..

2014 Concours 14 Candy Cardinal Red..
HeliBar Risers/Knight Design Lowered Pegs/Super Shark Skins/Cee Bailey Ultra Tour/TechSpec Snake Skin

Offline Brass

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 03:51:30 am »
this is maybe a better idea...
posted by a friend in the dutchspeaking forum in the heart of europe...
looks good !

(and yes... he had a little problem to put the bike in the middle ;-))
That bike looks awesome
Shaun - Collegeville PA
2017 Yamaha FZ-07

Offline Wyorider

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 10331
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2013, 05:16:33 am »
My 2 cents....stay away from colorite :-\.For the paint your going to need it's gonna cost almost 700-900 dollars.I painted mine last year for $450.....I would think I would have charged around 1200-1500 for everything. :beerchug:
 And....whats wrong with green????? :great:

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 05:50:42 am »
ZG, just do it.  It's only paint, and if you don't like it, change it back, or even to something else.  Be cautious though, bright colors attract cops. Green/Black is faster :)
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline nando

• Transport C-14
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2013, 06:46:50 am »
I must not have a life.....yea! I just double checked and found myself reading this thread....it settled: I don't have a life

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 09:25:54 am »
@ZG - have them do it in Germany-sourced acrylic laquer. You will be amazed at the depth and beauty of the finish if your painter is good. If s/he isn't that good, ignore this. A.L. is not easy to do and takes skill.

It shouldn't be clear coated unless you want to give up some depth for ease of care.

I had my ZX11, which started out black, repainted in A.L. with no clear coat. All I did was wash it with liquid Dove solution and then use a super-fine liquid show polish and cleaning tissues to gently swirl off any oxidation.

You could lose yourself forever looking deep into that paint job.

Ok never mind, too high maintenance, but it would look fantastic.

Go ahead and paint a set of skins K-green, but don't get mad when I and others snicker at you. And yes, that K-cruiser/bagger V-thing (pig that it is) was in my dealer's showroom wearing K-green, I remember now, and I puked the second I saw it.

So much is changing in the world. The values and standards of even just 30 years ago are all but gone... there was a time when a K-green Kawasaki was instantly known to be a road race, or flagship street performance, bike. And when Kawk won road races.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:27:41 am by JR »
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline 6 Riders

• Road Bike
  • "keep 'er under 90"
  • COG#: 10846
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 11:04:32 am »
All that I read was "should I paint my Connie Kawi GREEN"?

OH hell yeah
Even if you don't need paint, it should be GREEN :))

Mainly because; No matter what others say....GREEN IS the FASTEST color

[disclaimer] This is why "other manufacturers" don't paint their bikes Green

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2013, 12:29:54 pm »
6 Riders illustrates my position even though s/he doesn't mean to....  :rotflmao:

K-green IS fast. The C14 is not.

Any ZX6R or higher R bike will smoke a C14. And leave it behind in the mountains and twisties.

Compared to the bike the C14 is derived from, it is 3 seconds slower in the quarter (a lifetime) and doesn't handle as well in the twisties. In a roll on in any gear at any rpm range at any starting speed the ZX14 (much less the ZX14R) will leave the C14 in the dust.

To even things up, you'd have to exceed the price of a ZX14R by adding thousands of dollars of performance mods to the C14, and it still won't handle as well. It was never meant to.

Don't be a hater, that is just the way of the world.  :motonoises:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2013, 12:59:49 pm »
K-green IS fast. .

No disrespected intended. But I don't buy it. Although green has been mostly used on the Kawasaki sport style bikes for quite a while. I has not been exclusive to sport/dirt bikes at Kawasaki by any means. Kawasaki has made the the green an OEM color available on bikes that were far from racing bikes. So the racing only argument doesn't hold water with me. Case in point. The factory OEM 2012 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero in Candy Lime Green / Ebony . http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-specifications.aspx?id=576

2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero Candy Lime Green and Black

Offline ProfessorKonk

• Street Cruiser
  • Best. Bike. Ever.
    • Hilson Creative LLC
  • COG#: 9466
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2013, 01:56:43 pm »
Zeege...
The Kawi green would be coolest if you could also do the flames...  ;D

However, if I were going to the trouble and expense to repaint I might do something SO UNIQUE that crowds would gather everywhere I went. (That is what we're going for here, right?? :) )

Check out the ChromaFlair light interference pigments...  http://www.jdsu.com/ProductLiterature/chromaflairt_ds_dec_ae.pdf

For example, one of their pigments appears metallic green when viewed from one angle, then shifts its appearance to metallic silver as the angle of view changes. This stuff is insanely cool...

:motonoises: :beerchug:
So many farkles, so little time.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2013, 02:03:00 pm »
K-green IS fast. .

No disrespected intended. But I don't buy it. Although green has been mostly used on the Kawasaki sport style bikes for quite a while. I has not been exclusive to sport/dirt bikes at Kawasaki by any means. Kawasaki has made the the green an OEM color available on bikes that were far from racing bikes. So the racing only argument doesn't hold water with me. Case in point. The factory OEM 2012 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero in Candy Lime Green / Ebony . http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-specifications.aspx?id=576

Do you have any other examples, or was this just K having a brain fart ?  :rotflmao:

Offline Big Mike

• Moped
  • Binghamton, NY
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2013, 02:19:22 pm »
6 Riders illustrates my position even though s/he doesn't mean to....  :rotflmao:

K-green IS fast. The C14 is not.

Any ZX6R or higher R bike will smoke a C14. And leave it behind in the mountains and twisties.

Compared to the bike the C14 is derived from, it is 3 seconds slower in the quarter (a lifetime) and doesn't handle as well in the twisties. In a roll on in any gear at any rpm range at any starting speed the ZX14 (much less the ZX14R) will leave the C14 in the dust.

To even things up, you'd have to exceed the price of a ZX14R by adding thousands of dollars of performance mods to the C14, and it still won't handle as well. It was never meant to.

Don't be a hater, that is just the way of the world.  :motonoises:

well said, I couldn't agree more..
2014 Concours 14 Candy Cardinal Red..
HeliBar Risers/Knight Design Lowered Pegs/Super Shark Skins/Cee Bailey Ultra Tour/TechSpec Snake Skin

Offline Bourne2Ride

• Moped
  • COG#: 10541
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2013, 04:43:02 pm »
K-green IS fast. .

Hey,
That's my brother's exact bike from Cycle Motion in Middletown, NY! It's now in his garage.
CDA# 0425

Offline nando

• Transport C-14
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2013, 05:12:53 pm »
Well ZG, one thing is clear here: you have enough of a following to start a cult

If you decide to start a cult instead of painting the bike let me know if its gonna be the ones where you can have more than one wife will ya...I may be interested