Author Topic: Headlight Hi Beam won't work  (Read 2427 times)

Offline MrSkydriver

• When all else fails, read the instructions!
  • Road Bike
  • Gregg Hackett
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10363
  • Membership Level: Active
Headlight Hi Beam won't work
« on: September 07, 2015, 01:17:58 pm »
My Hi Beam will not work.  The blue light comes on but the headlights will not come on except for lo beam.  Is there a fuse for just hi beam?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Gregg
Gregg Hackett
'08 Concours C14 ABS
Boerne, TX
COG #10363
Growing old is mandatory...Growing up is optional

Offline raanan1234

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Re: Headlight Hi Beam won't work
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 02:15:44 pm »
My Hi Beam will not work.  The blue light comes on but the headlights will not come on except for lo beam.  Is there a fuse for just hi beam?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Gregg
Yes , there is a fuse for the hi beam, but I think in such case the blue light would'nt lit.If it's not the fuse, maybe the high beam wire in the bulb is broken. Had similar problem and mechanic told me that when one goes kaboom, the other one follow...

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 05:30:03 pm »
Yes there is a fuse for the hi beam only. It is in fuse box 1, fuse #5, 15 Amp. (Low beam is fuse #6). And yes the blue light probably will come on if the fuse is blown. According to the schematic, the hi beam fuse is only for the armature contact in the hi beam relay. The blue light is controlled off of the selector switch which also controls the relay coil. Power for this circuit comes form the headlight relay/headlight fuse. As such the two circuits are fused separately. So the coil can be actuated on the hi beam relay, but the fuse protecting the armature portion may still prevent current flow to the bulbs.

It is not the headlight relay fuse (fuse box 1, fuse #2, 10Amp). It is was this fuse, both headlights would be out since neither headlight relays would be energized through the dimmer switch, and the blue light would not come on when hi is selected.

Now if the hi beam fuse is blown you have to ask why? Replace it and if all stays good, great. But if it blows again, you could have a short on a wire or such. Another possibility could be a bad hi beam relay. Hope it's just a fuse. But either way, you make want to be more vigilant in performing pre-trip inspections to verify your headlight is indeed working.

Offline MrSkydriver

• Road Bike
  • Gregg Hackett
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 06:53:56 pm »
Thank you very much for the information Cap'n Bob   :great:
Gregg
Gregg Hackett
'08 Concours C14 ABS
Boerne, TX
COG #10363

Offline MrSkydriver

• Road Bike
  • Gregg Hackett
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 03:47:19 pm »
Does anyone have the part number for the "headlight relay high beam?" (C14)
Thanks in advance..... :great:
Gregg Hackett
'08 Concours C14 ABS
Boerne, TX
COG #10363

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 08:34:51 pm »

you can probable find it here, and this link is an excellent source for your part numbers in the future:  http://www.ronayersmotorcycles.com/fiche_select1.asp?cat=Motorcycles&mfg=Kawasaki
KiPass!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 08:55:48 pm »
I might be wrong, but I thought there were 2 fuses per beam.... per schema... but I never had one pop... and I'm running my OEM's still, with a set of NAPA 80/100's in reserve, and a set of Murph's SilverStars in re reserve..

oem have been good to me.... now I jixed myself... dammit.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 09:59:14 pm »

It's probably part number 27002B. If I recall correctly, the hi and low beam relays are the same. As such you could swap them to test them. But Ron Ayers lists 27002B for two relays where they would be. They want $28 for them so you may want to verify that it's bad.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 10:23:39 pm »
I might be wrong, but I thought there were 2 fuses per beam.... per schema... but I never had one pop... and I'm running my OEM's still, with a set of NAPA 80/100's in reserve, and a set of Murph's SilverStars in re reserve..

oem have been good to me.... now I jixed myself... dammit.

There are three headlight fuses. The wiring schematic lists one fuse for each of the two Hi/Lo headlight relays. Fuse box 1. Fuse 5 is for hi beam, fuse 6 is for lo beam (both 15amp). If either of these two fuses are bad, their corresponding relays would not have current to provide to the bulb. As such, one beam (hi or lo) would be dark when switched on and the bike running (or at least the starter bumped). Of course check the bulbs also. But both headlight bulbs will be out if the fuse is bad. If only one bulb is out, it's more than likely just a bulb.
 Then there is the third fuse in fuse box 1,  fuse 2 for the main headlight fuse (10 amp). This fuse is for the actual circuit that controls the other two relays (hi/lo) that actually provide the actual current to the bulbs. If fuse 2 is bad, neither headlight should come on with either hi or lo beam. But if fuse 2 is good, the other two headlight relays (hi/lo) might still operate, but not provide current if their fuses (fuses 5&6) are bad preventing current flow through the relays armature.

I hope that doesn't sound too confusing.

Offline MrSkydriver

• Road Bike
  • Gregg Hackett
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 12:00:43 pm »
Thank you all very much  :great:
Gregg
Gregg Hackett
'08 Concours C14 ABS
Boerne, TX