Author Topic: ZG vs ZX  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Arabian Red

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11292
  • Membership Level: Active
ZG vs ZX
« on: April 19, 2014, 07:22:43 pm »
Can anyone tell me the difference between the ZG 1400 and the ZX 1400? I have heard that it is only a tuning difference but based on the sound of the two engines I find that hard to believe. The reason I am asking is if my motor dies do I have the option of the ZX motor or am I restricted to the ZG?

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: ZG vs ZX
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 07:30:44 pm »
If you can over come the problem of chain drive to shaft drive conversion and the electronics issues you may be able to do it if you throw enough money at it.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 09:54:48 pm »
You would have to do more than could be done to the engine and weight of the bike to get even close to a ZX14 with the same amount of money in it.

For one thing, the C14 has variable cam timing, which is put to good use in the C14, but limits maximum horsepower output without throwing an awful lot of money and machine time at the engine. The ports need to be reworked too. And the valves. And the valve springs. And the fuel pump, and the oil pump possibly.

KHI didn't simply take a ZX14 engine and gimp it in the ECU and slap it in a C14, if they had, we'd all be running 200+ BHP engines for very little money. KHI did some very expensive engineering on the ZX14 engine to produce something with a much broader low end that comes on more smoothly and gently than it does in the ZX14. They also put an upper limit on the horsepower and torque compared to doing the same mods to a ZX14.

This was all done because though the C14 is a Sport Touring bike, the emphasis is on playing in the touring category more than the Sport category.

Also, the engine mounts are not exactly the same. I am not even sure a pre-2012 ZX14 engine will bolt into a C14 chassis. And for sure not a 2012+ ZX14 engine.

And then you need to get rid of 200 pounds, and a whole bunch of wind resistance, and some other intentional design compromises.

Having had a 200+ BHP, 200+ MPH ZX14, and having been on KHI's fastest flagship sportbike through every generation since the H1, I can tell you that trying to make a C14 play in that world is the height of lunacy.

For what it costs to get even in the same bracket (albeit, at the 1/4 mile, you'd still get to leave the line a full second or more ahead of the ZX14) you could buy a whole sport bike and have both.

But if you want to spend the money, and incur very high maintenance and breakage costs, and still have a pig in the corners (compared to a real sport bike), go ahead and do it. The efforts that have been done by some who posted here were well done and very interesting. I just wouldn't spend that kind of money for performance that could be significantly bettered by a sport bike for half the price.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline Arabian Red

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11292
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 10:18:57 pm »
So long story, short is can't be done. I was just interested in the concept because I want to know the limits of the bike I own and am very proud to ride. I think belonging to this forum and group in general puts me in rarefied air because of all the info you share with each other and I look forward to posing other question in the future to further my education of a bike that is the best I have owned to date. Thank you for your input.