Author Topic: 3rd Valve check, new plugs, PR4 GT's, and some other stuff...  (Read 1191 times)

Offline tjhess74

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8406
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
3rd Valve check, new plugs, PR4 GT's, and some other stuff...
« on: December 25, 2015, 01:46:00 am »
I have some down time over the holidays, so I used it to do a laundry list of maintenance items.  Last year at this time, I painted the bike with bedliner spray...and it's held up very well.

I just hit 75k miles, so I did my 3rd, and last, valve check.  The valves are exactly where I left them at my 50k mile check, so I believe the engine is settled and I have no plans to get back in there.  The plugs looked pretty good and all four looked identical.  But since I had it all apart, I picked up some new ones and threw them in there. I had a 20% off coupon for Advance Auto, so they were only $6 per plug.

I also chased all of the threads and bolts for the engine and subframe mounting points. There was quite a bit of build up of red threadlocker from over the years!

Usually, I change my own tires with my Harbor Freight tire changer, but not this time...the Michelin PR4 GT's are SUPER STIFF! I tried for an hour to get the rear tire on, and it wasn't happening.  I ended up having to have a shop put them on for me.  Even they commented on how stiff they were!

There were a few other miscellaneous items I worked on, as well, including an oil change.  The bike runs like a top and those tires feel good! She is ready for many more miles!   :motonoises:
Tom Hess  North Charleston, South Carolina    COG #8406  IBA #30337  CDA #248 (C10)    97 c10 (former)  08 c14 (current), 2007 Honda VFR800 RWB

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: 3rd Valve check, new plugs, PR4 GT's, and some other stuff...
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 10:21:02 am »
Thanks for reporting. There isn't a lot of info posted on subsequent valve checks. Did you use a thread chasing tool, or a normal tap to clean out the thread locker? 
Silver 2011 C-14 and 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+.  Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline tjhess74

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 01:14:02 am »
I used a tap and die set for the bolts and holes.  You are correct, there are a lot of first time valve checks, but not too many after that. I sealed it up pretty well to keep it from leaking, so I hope I don't have to get back in there any time soon!
Tom Hess  North Charleston, South Carolina    COG #8406  IBA #30337  CDA #248 (C10)    97 c10 (former)  08 c14 (current), 2007 Honda VFR800 RWB

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 11:59:36 am »
 What's your findings during the valve checks? are the valves still moving out of spec, or are they very stable now? Thanks, steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 12:46:03 pm »
What's your findings during the valve checks? are the valves still moving out of spec, or are they very stable now? Thanks, steve

The valves are exactly where I left them at my 50k mile check, so I believe the engine is settled and I have no plans to get back in there.

Just trying to help...

:beerchug:

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 02:12:54 pm »

The valves are exactly where I left them at my 50k mile check, so I believe the engine is settled and I have no plans to get back in there.

Just trying to help...

:beerchug:

well that proves it... my morning brain is worthless without coffee  :-[ :-[ :-[  Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline tjhess74

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 02:16:46 pm »
LOL!!!

I'll be removing and shipping my ECU after I get home from work on tomorrow.  Hopefully it arrives in your mail box after you have your morning coffee!  :rotflmao: