Author Topic: ZX-14 or ZX-14R Exhaust for a C-14?  (Read 13356 times)

Online connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: ZX-14 or ZX-14R Exhaust for a C-14?
« Reply #175 on: December 29, 2017, 12:46:23 am »
Other than finding a used 4 into 1 Muzzy, these are the options I know of, that are relatively EZ and inexpensive...

2006 - 2007 ZX-14 header. (has 2" ports and "no" Cat)  {Probably the best option}
Block left port, build spacer that increases OD of header to 2 1/8" OD., install your existing slip-on on the right.  {ZG Slip-on is 2 1/8" ID.} 
Done........

2008 - 2011 ZX-14 header. (has 2 1/8" ports and Cat) {Probably the next best option}
Block left port, install your existing slip-on on the right.  {ZG Slip-on is 2 1/8" ID.}
Done........

2012 - 2014 ZX-14R header. (has 2 1/8" ports and "No" Cat)
Block left port, install your existing slip-on on the right.  {ZG Slip-on is 2 1/8" ID.}
Done........

2015 - 2017 ZX-14R header. (has 2 1/8" ports and Cat)
Done........

Will any of these improve Torque/HP?
       I'm NOT sure.
But, each will; Replace our stock header and allow us to run the slip-on's we already have.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 12:51:53 am by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12666
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #176 on: December 29, 2017, 05:38:33 am »
OMG where have I been there is a crap load of reading here for me to catch up on. Dam Ted how did I miss this???
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Online connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #177 on: December 29, 2017, 05:32:23 pm »
Grant, do a quick read; The discussion started with questions about the 2012 ZX-14R exhaust I purchased.
                                   Later it moved thru various idea's I was contemplating.
                                   Lots of folks chipped in with their thoughts...

Pretty interesting reading if your a mad scientist..   >:D

I later opted to use a 2007 ZX-14 header {as the head pipes and exhaust ports are smaller, plus the head pipes are
    paired like a Concours}
       ZX-14R; Cyls 1/2 and 3/4 are paired.
       ZG and ZX-14; Cyls 1/4 and 2/3 are paired.

NOTE:
   The Concours Exhaust is basically a "Tri Y".   {4 - 2 - 1} {*because of the Cat design in the collector}
                       {at the end of the collector it has 1 ea (2 1/8" OD) exhaust port}.
                **I think the Cat, keeps the cylinder flows paired until they reach the end of the collector.

The 2007 ZX-14 Exhaust is a modified "Tri Y".  {4 - 2 - 1 - 2} (*because it's collector has a dividing plate inside}
                       {at the end of the collector it has 2 ea. (2" OD) exhaust ports}.
                **I think the plate keeps the cylinder flows paired until they reach the end of the collector.

(Over engineering it further)
   I'm planning to use the 2007 ZX-14 headers with a valve installed in the left exhaust pipe {to make the left exhaust flow variable}...

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 08:03:38 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

Online connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #179 on: Today at 05:50:55 pm »
Thanks Gary. I considered an electric dump valve but wanted something to operate with the exhaust flow, not just open or closed.
You and I were talking about an EXUP system somewhere about the 3rd page of this discussion.
An EXUP is kinda/sorta what I'm working at..

I purchased a Stainless Steel valve some time ago.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vacuum-Activated-Exhaust-Cutout-2-51MM-Open-Style-Pressure-about-1-BAR/252934027007?epid=869869096&hash=item3ae40af6ff:g:yeoAAOSw~FJZFWG~

Since that time, I removed the vacuum mechanism, and machined and welded adapters to the valve.
  {The adapters make installation between the header and the mid pipe EZ to do, and changes overall length only 2".}
I've purchased Muzzy Slip-on's, and built a muffler hanger for the left side of the bike.
Bouht gaskets, side stand, hardware, etc..

Headers;
I decided the ZX-14R headers were bad for a ZG-1400, and purchased early (non-cat) ZX-14 headers.
  { ZX-14R head pipes are too big, cylinder phasing of the head pipes is incorrect, Exhaust ports are 2 1/8"}
  {Early ZX-14 headers have smaller head pipe diameters, correct cylinder phasing, and 2" exhaust ports}

I think everything is almost ready..

Right now, I'm waiting to see dyno plots/numbers on a ZX-14 header and slip-on's.
                 (Iam is supposed to be doing run's soon).

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

Online gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9403
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #180 on: Today at 06:12:19 pm »
You mention exhaust flow controlled which would correlate with rpms and throttle position. Could you get Steve to tie it to the ecu to control a stepper motor like the secondary butterflies are controlled?