Author Topic: Broken gear tooth or clutch?  (Read 715 times)

Offline Sirk

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Broken gear tooth or clutch?
« on: August 01, 2019, 12:05:12 pm »
Uggg🤦‍♂️ The other night while riding my 2012 Kawasaki C14 with close to 33k miles, I downshifted from 5th to 4th a little to lazily I guess. There was a horrible grinding sound accompanied by a blank space in the gear indicator. I quickly grabbed the clutch and got it into gear then the ride felt fine. However shortly thereafter I thought I heard a rattling sound, so I turned off my SENA and sure enough I could hear something over the wind, but I really can't describe it any other way except rattling/ticking sound. I make it home without the bike riding any different than usually except for me riding slower, hearing the noise the whole time. When I crank it up the next afternoon in my driveway, a buddy said that it sounded like a little rattle coming from the transmission/clutch area but I couldn't hear what he heard. I didn't hear the sound from the previous night so I took it for a test ride up the block and just before I hit the stop sign, about 1/8 mile away from home, the ticking/rattling was back so I turned around. On the way back home I shut the engine off and coasted downhill to my driveway. The ticking sound was definitely still there. 🤦‍♂️
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 12:53:13 pm by Sirk »

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12307
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Broken gear tooth or clutch?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 02:17:17 pm »
 Drain you oil in a clean container and see whats in there maybe.
2016 C-14

Offline Sirk

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 07:29:14 pm »
Magnetic oil pan drain plug had a little metal on it. I didn't see any big chunks drain out

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 11:01:24 pm »
there have been 3 or 4 very similar instances I have seen here, that make me say... ( and I feel terrible saying it), that you may have done the dreaded "whack-a-mole" on the shifter, and chipped a tooth in that tranny.. because it was a short shift (didn't register on the gauge as a full gear change), and then when pressured, even pulling in the clutch, when the "side dogs" of the mating gears locked in, it was too late, and a gear tooth "corner" may have been chipped off..  :-X

add into this that this engine is notorious for not giving real feedback when "checking oil for metal parts", which relocate to a place pretty much away from the drain plug, you most likely will never see any evidence of gear damage, via oil examination.
 :'( :truce: :truce:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 11:04:44 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 12:18:26 am »
thanks Freddy, I was looking for that exact post, but got side tracked... shiny squirrel syndrome on my part.... :rotflmao:

Offline Sirk

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 07:11:52 am »
Yeah,  I figured it wasn't anything good. Oh well, looks like I'm about to replace everything I've changed to aftermarket back to OEM and save it for my next Fat Ninja. Hopefully I can get it fixed under warranty then I'll trade it in.

Offline Sirk

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 07:15:39 am »
I was hoping that the other post that I've read were different problems, 🤞especially with my bike still running but with a noise. I've given up that dream now. 🤷‍♂️ Oh well, gotta pay to play! 😒

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 07:28:27 am »
My bike was still running/riding but with noise.   :'(

Offline Sirk

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 08:15:15 am »
Well, now I'm guessing I'm wasting my time swapping the aftermarket parts back to OEM. I should just be looking for a donor engine huh? Not that I could do the motor swap anyway, but something tells me that my local Stealership will do everything in their power to deny warranty... 🤦‍♂️🤯😩😭

Offline Sirk

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 08:33:27 am »
I doubt it had anything to do with it but the night before my problems started, I got some fuel at "not my usual station" which is Costco. It was a Chevron  at a relatively busy intersection and they were out of premium (93) and mid-grade (89) so my choices were regular (87) or Ethanol Free (91). I was pretty excited being that this was the first station I've seen with in town with Ethanol Free over 87 octane.  I still only got a few dollars worth because I've been more than satisfied with Costco's Premium top tier fuel (93) especially since it's the cheapest in town and I know the fuel hasn't been in the tanks for long because of the volume they go through. 🤷‍♂️

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 10:45:19 am »
Fuel will have no bearing on the failure, nor will riding.  The transmission is designed to be robust enough to take rider errors, even mild abuse.  There is no reasonable reason that warranty should be denied.  It is Kawasaki's call ultimately, not the dealer's.  If it is rejected, take the matter up with your consumer protection dept as it's not an unknown issue.

Good luck and keep us posted.   :beerchug:

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 12:15:53 am »
I bet you mistaking  pumped 87 octane in there soon your motor will BLOW UP :c029:
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 01:36:41 am »
and THIS folks, is exactly why I spent efforts to find a dealer that would give us an affordable price for the extended Kaw warranty GTPP/KPP now.. pretty affordable in hindsight. Doesn't help at all, when you let one expire tho..

bummer. :-X :-X :-X

Offline Sirk

• Tricycle
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 03:59:50 am »
I bet you mistaking  pumped 87 octane in there soon your motor will BLOW UP :c029:

😂🤣 you might be right. Lmmfao.

Offline Sirk

• Tricycle
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2019, 04:16:06 am »
and THIS folks, is exactly why I spent efforts to find a dealer that would give us an affordable price for the extended Kaw warranty GTPP/KPP now.. pretty affordable in hindsight. Doesn't help at all, when you let one expire tho..

bummer. :-X :-X :-X

And this folks is why I love this forum and appreciate the efforts involved in acquiring that ABSOLUTELY AMAZING deal!  I was a Boy Scout and have lived by their motto "Always be prepared"!
An ounce of prevention is worth (a million times) a pound of cure. I had the extended warranty paperwork in my mailbox, in my name, before the original owner called me to tell me that he finally got the title in from his finance company. He waited until we shook hands,  when I told him I absolutely positively wanted the bike after a 200 mile "test ride" in which he followed me on his H2 SX SE with about 200 miles on it, that he had to pay off the bike. I immediately winced and thought I was gonna have to keep looking for a bike because i surely wasn't going to give up my money without a title, but he had the money but just wanted to be sure the bike was sold before he paid it off. ANYWAY... the warranty paid for itself multiple times when I had both TPMS sensors replaced, rear suspension replaced, and the left fork seal serviced  all under warranty around Mardi Gras this year. I'm definitely a worry wart that always expects the worse, not that I don't have good reasons to feel that way. Especially when it comes to vehicles. BUT, thanks a million times for making the fantastic warranty deal possible!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2019, 06:04:47 pm »
Did you re-up the extended warranty, 2 times?
if so, your 2012 should be covered (if purchased in 2012), for 3 years on the original, and 3 years on each extension, bringing it up to/thru the anniversary date of sale in 2021... :great: