Author Topic: ZX14 aftermarket exhaust question.. for an '09 Connie  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Wits

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
ZX14 aftermarket exhaust question.. for an '09 Connie
« on: November 08, 2013, 02:57:47 am »
I've decided to give my C14 a little love..  going to do a full exhaust, has the ECU flashed, follow my instinct and at least to some degree black 'er out..  and as I was considering a Muzzy dual system, or area P full system, I came across the posts indicating that the ZX14 aftermarket stuff can fit with a little sweat equity..

I am curious if anyone knows what year ZX14 exhausts are the best fit and/or the best option for an '09 C14?

I couldn't find that piece of information..  While I was digging the Muzzy dual exit, I think I am going to stay single side..  and will black out the header / mid-pipe, but would prefer to go with something like the Muzzy M14.. 

Any advice on what aftermarket zx14 year is the best fit?  Gracias in advance!

Offline punkynlew

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: ZX14 aftermarket exhaust question.. for an '09 Connie
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 04:29:26 am »
'06 or '07 zx14 header and pipes. Lew

Offline G-Mazz

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9048
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 05:03:37 am »
I have the 06-07 header and factory pipes on my '08.  They install easy enough as you mentioned.  You will need to fab up a hanger for the left side exhaust can and extend the arm on the center stand if you want to keep it.

If you use the 06-07 system the catalytic converter is located inside each exhaust can, the header is catless.  On the later versions the catalytic converter is located in the head pipe not the exhaust cans.  However the pipe diameter of the two set ups differ so you can't use the catless 06-07 header with the catless exhaust cans on the later versions if I remember correctly.

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • COG#: 9994
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 10:08:52 am »
If you want to go Aftermarket ZX14 Full Exhaust System, anything for a 2006-11 ZX14 will work. Not sure if a system for the newer ZX14R will work or not.
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline Wits

• Mini Bike
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 03:32:00 pm »
Thanks, guys for the response..  Pope, that is exactly the info I was looking for.  I was curious if I could expand my options to the ZX14 aftermarket systems.  From what I have read, it looks like it isn't a really involved adjustment needed to make it work..  Pope, I came across the discussion another board, this isn't your bike, is it?  I came across it searching for exhaust info, but it was great timing, because murdering out my connie to some degree was in planning stages! 

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 06:14:59 pm »
Nope, that's not mine. I do like the blacked out look.
The Pope

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline Wits

• Mini Bike
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 06:17:53 pm »
Agreed -- I am digging it!  I'm going to start another thread to see if anyone has any experience with the exhaust I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on..  Muzzy M14 full system for the ZX14 with black M10 canister.

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 06:25:17 pm »
I found the thread (on the other forum) that the photo you posted came from (I think). It's a petty good writeup and any aftermarket full exhaust system for a ZX14 would need basically the same adjustments.
The Pope

Offline Wits

• Mini Bike
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 06:29:52 pm »
Agreed, Pope.  That was my take too, and that writeup really got me kind of fired up about the idea.  I appreciate you taking the time to give your thoughts and advice!

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 06:30:38 pm »
I'd love to see a set of Brock's Performance CT-Duals on a C14. That would look, and sound, awesome. I'm guessing it would take a bit of tweaking though.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline Wits

• Mini Bike
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 06:44:39 pm »
I'd love to see a set of Brock's Performance CT-Duals on a C14. That would look, and sound, awesome. I'm guessing it would take a bit of tweaking though.

I think that would be badass, and I'd love to see it too..  unfortunately, for that kind of coin, it won't be on my bike!  ;D

Great idea in theory, though!

Offline JustinF

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 09:57:19 pm »

I will be talking to Brock soon about exhausts for the Connie.  I don't want the CT Duals, I just want a Gen III stainless system.  I have a CT Meg on the ZX-14 but the Connie doesn't need the extra flow and I am not as concerned about a couple of pounds.  Also the price is a crazy, they do look great though.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 10:36:48 pm »

I will be talking to Brock soon about exhausts for the Connie.  I don't want the CT Duals, I just want a Gen III stainless system.  I have a CT Meg on the ZX-14 but the Connie doesn't need the extra flow and I am not as concerned about a couple of pounds.  Also the price is a crazy, they do look great though.

The CT-Duals make the most horsepower of any Brock's Performance full exhaust system on a ZX-14. The only time the Meg can surpass it is in a full boat all-out nitro-methane race engine.

I will never forget when my CT-Duals arrived for my ZX-14, I assembled them on a sheet on the floor of the garage to mark them with tape before sending them to Custom Coatings to be ceramic race coated on interior and ultra-blacked exterior.  For some reason I picked the assembled unit up and put it on the palm of my good right arm. To my surprise, I could hardly feel any weight at all. Titanium is a wondrous thing. And also the basis of the obscene cost of the system.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline Wits

• Mini Bike
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 11:47:26 pm »
Totally understood..  but I can't justify that cost for my commuter / tourer.  My street fun bike is my forever dream bike, a '99 original copper Hayabusa which a friend decided to let go..  When I build my detached garage hopefully soon, I'll look at a ZX14 as I won't have to think about space anymore..  Then, the fun begins again... ha.
I'd love to see a set of Brock's Performance CT-Duals on a C14. That would look, and sound, awesome. I'm guessing it would take a bit of tweaking thou

The CT-Duals make the most horsepower of any Brock's Performance full exhaust system on a ZX-14. The only time the Meg can surpass it is in a full boat all-out nitro-methane race engine.

I will never forget when my CT-Duals arrived for my ZX-14, I assembled them on a sheet on the floor of the garage to mark them with tape before sending them to Custom Coatings to be ceramic race coated on interior and ultra-blacked exterior.  For some reason I picked the assembled unit up and put it on the palm of my good right arm. To my surprise, I could hardly feel any weight at all. Titanium is a wondrous thing. And also the basis of the obscene cost of the system.

Offline JustinF

• Tricycle
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 12:17:09 am »

The CT duals would be overkill on a Connie.  The Connie isn't anywhere close to needing that flow.  And the CT-Duals put out the most on paper, but not by much.  I didn't want the added weight nor the hassle of cleaning the pipe on the chain side.  But it doesn't really matter at this point the 14 will have a Ti-Winder on it soon. >:D

Offline Wits

• Mini Bike
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 07:12:17 pm »
Follow-up question for the experts..  I am narrowing my exhaust pick, and was wondering if anyone knows the reasons for some of the ZX14 exhausts being for non-abs.  My '09 C14 has ABS, so I'm wondering if that is a problem for using the ZX14 non-abs exhausts, ie. yoshimura exhausts I'm looking at..  Thoughts?  Thanks!

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 11:10:37 pm »
Thanks, guys for the response..  Pope, that is exactly the info I was looking for.  I was curious if I could expand my options to the ZX14 aftermarket systems.  From what I have read, it looks like it isn't a really involved adjustment needed to make it work..  Pope, I came across the discussion another board, this isn't your bike, is it?  I came across it searching for exhaust info, but it was great timing, because murdering out my connie to some degree was in planning stages! 

My friend Andy has his bike all blacked out just like this one.

He has a blacked out exhaust system that he might be selling too...since he just got a new Area-P full system.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.