Author Topic: ZX14 header in a 09 C-14  (Read 5334 times)

Offline 1gopokes1

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
ZX14 header in a 09 C-14
« on: October 24, 2015, 06:46:53 pm »
I am thinking a winter project might be to put a ZR14 header on my 09-C-14 to eliminate the cats & heat

I have read the threads but still have some ???

1) can I do this by just unbolting the radiator and letting in come/ hang forward or total removal of radiator?

2) can I use the ZX14 gaskets at the head or the C-14 gaskets...the ZX14 pipes are bigger?

3) The ZX14 has a  " ball " at the end where it splits off to dual exhaust do you just cut it before the "ball" and the Y or just have the left side capped and use the right side

4) Can one of those flexible mesh / woven exhaust pieces be used to connect the header to my CS-0ne  exhaust pipe

thanks  no sense reinventing the wheel

Offline Jon

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southeast Area
Re: ZX14 header in a 09 C-14
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 01:57:59 am »
I am thinking a winter project might be to put a ZR14 header on my 09-C-14 to eliminate the cats & heat

I have read the threads but still have some ???

1) can I do this by just unbolting the radiator and letting in come/ hang forward or total removal of radiator?

YES, very easy to do

2) can I use the ZX14 gaskets at the head or the C-14 gaskets...the ZX14 pipes are bigger?

YES, just reuse them.   Although, you will also have people tell you that never works.   Has worked every time for me. 

3) The ZX14 has a  " ball " at the end where it splits off to dual exhaust do you just cut it before the "ball" and the Y or just have the left side capped and use the right side

CAP the left side, OR get a set of zx14 slip-ons and install.

4) Can one of those flexible mesh / woven exhaust pieces be used to connect the header to my CS-0ne  exhaust pipe

You could, but it'd be god awful ugly.

thanks  no sense reinventing the wheel

Offline Graphicjunkie

• Never ride faster than your guardian angel!
  • Road Bike
  • If guns kill people, my pencil misspells words.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 04:48:59 am »
It's a shame that the forum changed a while back.  Back when I was active with my '08, I put a set of ZX14 headers on, with a set of Hayabusa pipes.  I mated the mid pipes of the Hayabusa to the mid pipes of the ZX.  I posted all the details about it and a lot of pics.   But all my old posts are gone and everything.

Here is a good shot on a road trip from Colorado to Red Lodge Montana.  But you can see the pipes here, as well as the step in the mid pipes.

Man I loved the sound of those pipes!!  But I like it loud.   :-\

Some tidbits. 
No need to remove the radiator.  As you said.  Unbolt and let it rest out of the way.

The 2006-07 ZX 14 headers are cat-less.  Where as the 2008-11 are not.  I picked up the latter, and I remember I "had to" cut and gut mine.  They don't make it easy to get that crap out of there.

I do remember using the original gasket.  That's for sure, and no problems.

I was never a big fan of the ZX pipes on the Connies.  Most metal surfaces on the Connie have a brushed aluminum color/appearance for the most part.  And the ZX pipes are just polished tubes.  No flair or pizzazz.  That's why I went with the Hayabusa pipes, because they had the same brushed/machined look to them that matched the rest of the bike really well.

ZX cat and cat-less side by side...cat-less on left.  (pictures off google images, not mine)

Connie

Don't see how you would retain the single out configuration, unless you plan on cutting and plating off the left side of the ball.  If you have good welding skills, you might be able to get away with cutting off the connie header right before one of the cats, and welding it into the outlet as a step down behind the collector on the ZX header.   But you would have to do some measuring to see if it is doable.  Might be too different in diameter.

I do remember a noticeable difference in throttle response when I swapped out headers and pipes though.  And HOLY hell is that stock potatoe launcher heavy compared to just about ANYTHING out there.

I'd stay away from that flex mesh crap.  It deteriorates and gets junky.  They look rusted very quickly...FUGLY.         
Just my .02....
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 02:11:49 am by Willy »
2009 Black ABS - Night Fury (Shoodaben*ZX14 Header*Dual Two Bros*Vstream*heated grips*fender extender*lowered foot pegs*radiator protector*LEDs*wedges*TechSpec*Corbin/Smuggler*switchbacks*Stebel)
2008 Neutron Silver  - Silver Streak (GONE)
Colorado

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • COG#: 9994
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 08:39:45 am »
Just go aftermarket ZX14 Full Length Single Sided Exhaust.  :great:
(that's what I did, or you can go dual exhaust like others have)
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline Egodriver71

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • COG#: 8321
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 05:54:34 pm »
`05-`06 ZX14 header is without cat
Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Offline Jon

• Scooter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 06:00:28 pm »

There is no 05.  06-07 is what you are wanting.

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 04:28:48 am »
Why not just remove the cats from the 09 header? Thats what I did, it made a real difference with the heat. I also wrapped the pipes.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Three Kaws

• Tricycle
  • 1982 GPz 750 2005 ZRX1200r 2008 C14
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 09:40:58 pm »
Why not just remove the cats from the 09 header? Thats what I did, it made a real difference with the heat. I also wrapped the pipes.

I want yo gut my 08 stock cats. How did you do it? Can you describe? Pics?

Thanks much for any info you can give.

Offline Egodriver71

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • COG#: 8321
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 10:19:19 am »

There is no 05.  06-07 is what you are wanting.

First two years, I'm not sure why I was remembering `05-`06 instead of `06-`07
Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 02:51:27 pm »
I have pictures somewhere of the internals from my 09 headers, and the cats.
will try and post later.
It is NOT an easy process to remove them. THey are literally tack welded in multiple spots inside the collector.

I took mine to a pro, had him cut open the collector with a plasma torch, remove the cats, and reweld the collector.
Even he told me it wasn't easy.
Paid him $130 for the efforts, and he said he didn't charge me enough.
I respectfully disagreed.  :rotflmao:

THis is not a DIY project unless you have the proper tools and some skill.
Just saying. And I warned you.
I didn't replace the header flange gaskets and have suffered slight leakage until the
motor warms fully and the gasket seat/expand.  minor issue.

I'm planning to remove the header this winter and take it to jet-hot coatings, and have it dipped. Mostly for appearance and corrosion resistance, but also for heat-dissipation and better flow.

i will say, that ultimately I wasn't after higher performance, but mostly a dual exhaust LOOK.
I paid close to $2000 when all was said and done ( header, mods, muzzy hanger + centerstand, slip ons, etc) so be warned.  Many cheaper options exist, and I didn't elect to pursue those.

I am extremely happy with the results of the look, and sound, but I now need to get it tuned properly, which is going to be another hefty expense that i didn't necessarily plan on.
at the time, I thought a guhl refash would suffice for my re-tune, but in talking with SISF, I know that I need to pursue a more custom tune to reach optimal performance.

If you have any questions, just ask, I'll try to answer.

good luck.

gr
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 03:04:44 pm by ghostrider990 »
My Horns have Horns.

Offline Jon

• Scooter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 03:33:36 pm »
Cats removed from 2013 header.   TIG welded up inserts to keep from rattling around and then closed up by TIG welding the pieces that were cut out to expose the cats.   MUCH less heat without them and alot more exhaust sound with them out.   Win win.

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 04:26:45 pm »
Nice pics, nice cuts, nice welds, NICE JOB!
My Horns have Horns.

Offline Three Kaws

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 08:45:07 pm »
Cats removed from 2013 header.   TIG welded up inserts to keep from rattling around and then closed up by TIG welding the pieces that were cut out to expose the cats.   MUCH less heat without them and alot more exhaust sound with them out.   Win win.

Jon.
Did you retune after the surgery? If so how/what?
Thx,
TT

Offline Jon

• Scooter
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 12:02:30 am »
No.   Still running stock programming.  For what I use it for and how I ride it's been fine.   I'd be interested in SISF reflash though. 

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 12:18:51 am »
Jon, do you have a pic of the cat when its removed? As in how did it come out, like a tube or fragmented? I messed around with one, dam that stuff is hard and you ain't gonna just bash it out like the old ceramic cats from yester year.  Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Three Kaws

• Tricycle
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 01:27:29 pm »
Jon, do you have a pic of the cat when its removed? As in how did it come out, like a tube or fragmented? I messed around with one, dam that stuff is hard and you ain't gonna just bash it out like the old ceramic cats from yester year.  Steve

Steve.
What Jon did is what I want to do on my 08 over this winter. Then a reflash.
My goals: 1) Remove the heat 2) Improve low end rideability.
What say you about your flash with the cats gutted?

Offline Graphicjunkie

• Never ride faster than your guardian angel!
  • Road Bike
  • If guns kill people, my pencil misspells words.
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2015, 04:58:52 pm »
Jon,
Curious to how much difference you notice with stock ECU. 
Throttle response in different rpm ranges?
Heat is obviously going to be lower...
2009 Black ABS - Night Fury (Shoodaben*ZX14 Header*Dual Two Bros*Vstream*heated grips*fender extender*lowered foot pegs*radiator protector*LEDs*wedges*TechSpec*Corbin/Smuggler*switchbacks*Stebel)
2008 Neutron Silver  - Silver Streak (GONE)
Colorado

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 09:55:26 pm »
[size=78%]  [/size][size=78%]For tuning purposes removing the cats has very little effect. Modern CATs are very efficient at flowing gas and unless you are trying to squeeze out every last bhp this one single mod doesn't make a great deal of difference. What you will gain ( [/size]lose[/size][size=78%] actually) is a reduction of heat. Cat's work by burning [/size]hydrocarbon's[/size][size=78%] and must get VERY hot to do this. If you're going to remove them yourself just remember they contain toxic heavy metals, handle with care. At the very least wear a dust mask.[/size]

This is not an especially hard task but it is dirty and requires welding skills. Looking at the pictures, it is much easier if you cut on or right next to the factory welds and remove slightly more than 1/2 the circumference of the pipe. When you pry out the cat do it from the side, not the end. This pipe is SS so it requires purge gas to prevent weld contamination/failure on the inside where you can not see it.

I restore antique motorcycles for a living and have a fully equipped shop, including MIG/TIG/STICK and Exothermic welding as well as a complete machine shop with a 4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table. If anyone is interested in having me do this mod send me a PM. I'll give a discount to any active COG member.

BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14

Offline Jon

• Scooter
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 10:27:00 pm »

Air chisel....lots of small fragments.   :)   

Online connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 12:25:27 am »
Deepsea has a valid post on the material in the cats and the welding skills required.
Jon, you did a great job. very neat!

I too want to know if removing the Cat had any effect?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Jon

• Scooter
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 01:30:03 am »
Jon,
Curious to how much difference you notice with stock ECU. 
Throttle response in different rpm ranges?
Heat is obviously going to be lower...

I haven't noticed much difference...C14 is still being choked down by the stock head pipes, but it runs just fine.   I had a ZX-14 full system on it before doing this and it had much better pull all throughout.  BUT, it had a harmonic vibration in the bike with that system on it...so I put the stock header back on with a slip-on but could not live with the heat, so the cats came out.  Much happier now. 
I'm sure it would be improved with a proper reflash, but for what the bike is/does for me, its fine.   I got a ZRX and Street Triple for making fun in the tight stuff. 

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2015, 03:05:15 am »
Three Kaws,

My compliments to whoever did the work pictured. Doing this looks to be much simpler than it actually is. Prior to removing them, I also had the TBR Juice Box, installed by the PO. About 1500 miles after removing them I sent the ECU to Don Guhl for reflashing. Working with Don was "Confidence inspiring" He gave the best customer service of any vender I have worked with in a very-very long time. I shipped the ECU overnight, Don called me the next day and we discussed my needs for the flash. I received the ECU back the next morning. Total time from removing the seat to on the road was 49 hours. And what a difference those 49 hours ( + Don Guhl ) made.
 My point is, removing the CATs will not give a noticable performance increase, it will however noticably lower the heat level coming from under the engine. Wrapping the pipes with hi-temp material will make an even greater differance. I have also installed a set of heat shields. Living near Sacramento means the summer heat can get extreme. It's not uncommen to be riding in 105+. I think the worst day was 113+ going through the valley and the bike handled it just fine.