Author Topic: zx14 headers, need some definitive answers  (Read 3341 times)

Offline firehawk618

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
zx14 headers, need some definitive answers
« on: June 01, 2014, 04:03:57 am »
Ok here's the scoop.

I have recently installed a PCV to accompany my flies delete, slip on and SOON to be installed zx14 TB's.

I also received the "auto tune" box gizmo thing to go with the PCV.

Since I am planning on pulling my headers for o2 sensor install when I do the tear down for the zx14 tb install I figured I might as well source zx14 headers, pipes and cans and put them on.

I have been reading, reading and reading about a few guys who have done the zx14 headers + dual exhaust conversions but never quite found all the info I was looking for.

Here's my questions.

1.  What year zx14 headers do NOT have catalytic converters in them?  I get conflicting information.  Please don't post speculations.

2.  When installing the slip on's what exactly has to be modified on the center stand?  Does anyone have good details on this?

3.  Would I be able to just leave the center stand on, install the exhaust and leave the center stand un-usable until I modify it or is it some thing that must be removed if it's not being modified?

Thanks for the input folks!
2012 C14 Black

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
Re: zx14 headers, need some definitive answers
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 09:55:43 am »

1.  What year zx14 headers do NOT have catalytic converters in them?  I get conflicting information.  Please don't post speculations.

I have a 2008 ZX-14 and it DOES have a catalytic converter in the header.  If you remove either of the mufflers which are integral with the mid-pipes, you can clearly see the honeycomb cat just in front of the pipe joint.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 10:20:36 am »
06/07 headers have no cats. They are in the mufflers. 08+ cats are in the headers and the mufflers are clear. The center stand must be modified or removed. The arm that you step on contacts the new left side midpipe and will keep the stand from folding up out of the way.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9279
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 10:23:44 am »
The diameter of the header tubes increased starting in 2008 on the ZX14.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline firehawk618

• Mini Bike
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 11:30:43 pm »
Wow, thanks for the info.  So if a person is ok with single exhaust then it sounds like the zx14 header would be a waste of time really?  If there isn't a substantial gain then I probably won't do it.

Or would taking the 08+ and gutting the cat be much of a gain?

Sorry in advance for poor spelling and or grammar, posting from a phone sucks.
2012 C14 Black

Offline firehawk618

• Mini Bike
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 11:32:03 pm »
Crap, one more question.  Since the 08 had bigger pipes does that mean the 07 and older mufflers, pipes aren't a direct fit to the 08 headers?
2012 C14 Black

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 12:04:53 am »
Firehawk, if you're fine with a single exhaust go with an Area p system. Least hassle/most gains.

Offline Bob

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 12:09:03 am »
I've installed 2007 ZX14 headers & pipes & consistently get 8% better MPG city & hwy.  Looks better & performs better w/ less heat since cats are in mufflers instead of the header.  Yes, center stand must be modified & I used ZX14 side stand w/ washers to move out a little.  I made a special bracket to hold left muffler w/ identical bolt & rubber bushing as right side - another EBay purchase.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 04:31:51 am »
I've installed 2007 ZX14 headers & pipes & consistently get 8% better MPG city & hwy.  Looks better & performs better w/ less heat since cats are in mufflers instead of the header.  Yes, center stand must be modified & I used ZX14 side stand w/ washers to move out a little.  I made a special bracket to hold left muffler w/ identical bolt & rubber bushing as right side - another EBay purchase.

As a rule, any good dual muffler full system will outperform a single muffler system on a stock bike. This was amply demonstrated when Brock Davidson of Brock's Performance did over a dozen side by side dyno runs of various exhaust systems on ZX14s and Hyabusas, etc.

Personally I think duals look better too, and the sound is distinct from the sound of a single can.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • COG#: 9994
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 09:26:51 am »
Firehawk, if you're fine with a single exhaust go with an Area p system. Least hassle/most gains.

Or some other aftermarket ZX14 exhaust. I've got an Akrapovic. Basicilly (mine's all titanium) this: http://www.biohazardcycles.com/servlet/the-5637/AKRAPOVIC-S-dsh-K14R2-dsh-RC-RACE-RACING/Detail

The Area P system is a very nice one, but I just didn't want to have to wait for them to build it. I was able to get the Akrapovic in 3 days form the date that I ordered it.

Now just so you know, the O2 bung in the Akrapovic in an M12, so you'd need to get it swapped out with a M18 bung for the Wideband O2 Sensor used in the Autotune kit.
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 09:50:02 am »
I've got 08 ZX headers $60.00 had cats removed $50.00
 BUT If I was to do it now  this is the way I'd go  http://zx1441r.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1252 , He told me $800 whole system to my door.
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 09:56:53 am »

Or some other aftermarket ZX14 exhaust. I've got an Akrapovic. Basicilly (mine's all titanium) this: http://www.biohazardcycles.com/servlet/the-5637/AKRAPOVIC-S-dsh-K14R2-dsh-RC-RACE-RACING/Detail

The Area P system is a very nice one, but I just didn't want to have to wait for them to build it. I was able to get the Akrapovic in 3 days form the date that I ordered it.

Now just so you know, the O2 bung in the Akrapovic in an M12, so you'd need to get it swapped out with a M18 bung for the Wideband O2 Sensor used in the Autotune kit.

Lot to be said for availability. Nice looking system.

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • COG#: 9994
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 12:29:23 pm »
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 01:17:09 pm »
I removed my center stand... don't miss it dead weight,
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline eric

• Tricycle
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 10:05:57 am »
I installed the exhaust from an 06' on mine.  Mid range and gas mileage are better.   I made a bracket/hanger for the left foot peg and heated/bent the foot lever out of the way on the center stand to clear the exhaust/ground.  it works, although a little harder to get up on the center stand, but doable.
08' C-14  ABS

Offline firehawk618

• Mini Bike
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 11:33:57 pm »
Eric, thanks for sharing the story / pics.

I have a question though.  Does the center stand still stop up against one of those rubber bump stops when stowed?

Thank you.
2012 C14 Black

Offline eric

• Tricycle
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 12:03:33 pm »
sorry for the delay.  Yes, i used a small peice of flatbar about 2 1/4" long, removed the OEM rubber bushing and drilled a simular size hole into the flat bar, then made a mounting hole to attached it (see picture, looks like i need to clean/paint  ::) ).

also added a couple other pics.

i also added a picture of the rear of the hanger i made for the left can.
08' C-14  ABS

Offline eric

• Tricycle
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 12:06:21 pm »
a few pictures of the results.
08' C-14  ABS