Author Topic: zx14 rotors  (Read 5471 times)

Offline br

• Mini Bike
  • If you wana get fast, ride lots
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
zx14 rotors
« on: March 30, 2014, 01:49:24 pm »
Just had the rotors on my 2011 c14 replaced for the second time. The only difference this time is the Kawasaki rep recommended the zx14 rotors and new pads. They must know there is some kind of a issue. All was covered under warranty.... br

Offline guycnicholas

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
Re: zx14 rotors
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 07:19:56 pm »
 I know this is an old topic and you probably won't see my response, but hey, I gotta try.  Can you tell me why you had them replaced?  What was the problem?

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 07:45:43 pm »
warpage

Offline hlh1

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 548
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 06:14:45 pm »
Are the ZX14 rotors better than the C14 rotors?  How? 
06 WeeStrom, 09 C14 ABS, 83 GS1100ED,

Offline Grendel

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 06:35:38 am »
Are the ZX14 rotors a direct swap?  I have seen quite a few rotors for the ZX14, but not much listed for the C14.  If they are the same then I can look up ZX14 rotors and install those.

Ryan

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
  • Fanboy, Sludge wearer, Proud Rotella user !
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10785
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 12:32:28 pm »
Are the ZX14 rotors a direct swap?  I have seen quite a few rotors for the ZX14, but not much listed for the C14.  If they are the same then I can look up ZX14 rotors and install those.

Ryan
The rotors are a direct swap, So is the front wheel. I have the front wheel, Rotors & all hardware from a 2012 ZX14 on my 2012 Connie  :beerchug:
2012 Kawasaki Concours, Arabian Red
1986 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1983 Honda V45 Sabre, Red

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 01:38:11 pm »

Ryan

The rotors are a direct swap, So is the front wheel. I have the front wheel, Rotors & all hardware from a 2012 ZX14 on my 2012 Connie  :beerchug:

Hi,
        So.....What is the difference?

There has to be something if the ZX-14 rotors are considered,"better"????

Just sayin, curious? ;D

Thanks for the info! :great:

Saw this!    http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-14-forum/55992-warped-rotors-issue-14-a.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 01:46:42 pm by seagiant1 »
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 03:13:12 pm »

Ryan

YUP! I too have ZX14 wheels and OEM rotors that fit my C14, however I was not going to do a warrantee over and over due to warped rotors (my ZX14 rotors warped in 3000 miles) so I went with the Brake-Tech full floating axis rotors on both ZX14 and C14. No more issues. And on the C14 I went with the 330mm big brake kit.

C14 BT Axis full floating
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline LinuxGuyGary

• Black & Green... The fastest Color
  • Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12089
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 03:37:56 pm »
Do you have a link to these or part numbers? 

Looking over their site I'm not able to find them.

Thanks

-Gary
2011 C14 Black-n-Green

Eastern Utah

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 05:10:03 pm »
Look good.
How long have you been running them?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline hlh1

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 07:58:06 pm »
I'm not hearing any benefits of the ZX14 rotors...  Guess they're bad like the C14. 

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 09:33:24 pm »
Here are the part # lists, I purchased the 330mm kit for the C14. I have the 320mm kit on the ZX14. 74K miles on the Brake-Techs on the ZX14, no warping. 30K miles on the Brake -Techs on the C14, no warping. I run stock brake pads because after going through several other brands the OEM pads work the best.

They rotors wear very well, are true full floating. Be aware though that they do rattle a bit at slow speeds when hitting a bump. Otherwise silent running.

http://braketech.com/images/docs/bt-kawapps.9-15.pdf

http://braketech.com/axis-iron-rotors-2/

I know the link say IRON rotors, but it should show the SS ones.

On the C14 if you look closely you will see 10mm spacers on the calipers, that are aluminum. The spacers locate the caliper 10mm further outboard for the larger rotors.

Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline hlh1

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 10:16:46 pm »
Thanks Greg, good info. 

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 10:40:41 pm »
I'm not hearing any benefits of the ZX14 rotors...  Guess they're bad like the C14.

its been determined the OEM brake pad material is also to blame, pads from a 2012+ ZX14 is the best compound. Or 2012+ C14. I don't know why, or what the change in pads compounds are or were. This is just investigating on the web, and of course everything on the web is true.  ::)
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Grendel

• Tricycle
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 09:57:16 am »
its been determined the OEM brake pad material is also to blame, pads from a 2012+ ZX14 is the best compound. Or 2012+ C14. I don't know why, or what the change in pads compounds are or were. This is just investigating on the web, and of course everything on the web is true.  ::)

So, I have a 2014 C14 with stock brakes.  Should I be ok with what it came with, or is the ZX14 rotors and pads any kind of upgrade for my C14?

Ryan

Offline hlh1

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 12:37:38 pm »

Do I have to specifically ask for the 2012+ pads from the Kawasaki dealer or is this what they now stock?  I have an 09 C14.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 02:33:18 pm »

So, I have a 2014 C14 with stock brakes.  Should I be ok with what it came with, or is the ZX14 rotors and pads any kind of upgrade for my C14?

Ryan

Not an upgrade, the C14 has the same rotors as the ZX14.
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 02:35:42 pm »

Do I have to specifically ask for the 2012+ pads from the Kawasaki dealer or is this what they now stock?  I have an 09 C14.

I buy my pads from Partszilla to purchase OEM items. I don't know the answer to that, but I doubt an older compound pad from way back would be still on a shelf for purchase?
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 04:09:49 pm »
I do like the LOOKS of those big rotors , but I still have the original stock set up , with no problems

I don't use the brakes much , I use the engine down shifting to slow down ...

Oh yeah and my big feet like Fred Flintstone  , I like to see sparks fly  WILMA!

https://youtu.be/skeg3Y6sptg
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:22:29 pm by cuda »
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 04:15:12 pm »
I don't use the brakes that often either, I ride the pace. But I knew at some point my rotors would warp on the C14 so I proactively bought the Brake-Techs. I still have the OEM rotors sitting in my closet of shame.  :beerchug:
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Grendel

• Tricycle
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2017, 06:26:54 am »
I have seen quite a few people claim one of the first upgrades one should do to the C14 before power is brakes.  I'm looking into the steel braided lines, is that all that's needed?  What about the EBC rotors?

Offline hlh1

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2017, 12:39:50 pm »
I have seen quite a few people claim one of the first upgrades one should do to the C14 before power is brakes.  I'm looking into the steel braided lines, is that all that's needed?  What about the EBC rotors?

Except for warping under heavy use, the C14 brakes are amazing.  Also, I understand that the stock brake lines are steel(?).  If mine every warp I might go to the EBC rotors. 

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Crotch Rocket
  • I am what I am and that's all that I am!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12210
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 03:42:08 pm »

From what I'm told, the one brake lines ARE braided steel...I heard someone cut one to verify.  When I put my Helibar Horizon ST's on I used Galfer braided s/s+6's vice the included extensions.  I didn't notice much difference... :motonoises:
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Mountain Runner Flash.  

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2017, 04:27:46 pm »
Hi,
        I've never had any problem on my 2012. with brakes...

I think the OEM's are good to go!

What I did do, to make a difference, is change out the brake fluid, and bleed the brakes well.

My brakes were BETTER, then, than the way they came from the factory! :great:
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline Grendel

• Tricycle
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2017, 03:41:41 am »
Hi,
        I've never had any problem on my 2012. with brakes...

I think the OEM's are good to go!

What I did do, to make a difference, is change out the brake fluid, and bleed the brakes well.

My brakes were BETTER, then, than the way they came from the factory! :great:

I believe that the factory ships the bikes dry, and the dealer has to do all that when they put it together.   That could explain the brakes if someone @ the dealership just kinda slapped it together.

Ryan