Author Topic: zx14 rotors  (Read 5472 times)

Offline ddtmoto

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: zx14 rotors
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2017, 03:25:37 pm »
Mmmm, no. The bikes are not shipped dry. But for the battery that is filled and charged by the dealer/setup. The rest of the bike's fluids are in there, in the bike, in the crate from the factory.
04 GSXR1000
97 TLS1000
01 DRZ400E
09 Black on black ZG14...

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11405
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2017, 04:22:14 pm »
Hi,

I believe that the factory ships the bikes dry, and the dealer has to do all that when they put it together.   That could explain the brakes if someone @ the dealership just kinda slapped it together.

Ryan
I have seen quite a few people claim one of the first upgrades one should do to the C14 before power is brakes.  I'm looking into the steel braided lines, is that all that's needed?  What about the EBC rotors?

Where do you get all your knowledge from ?
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Terry Wyss

• Tricycle
  • 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 - Sneeky fast
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9239
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2017, 11:07:47 pm »
Interesting?  Because when I had my rotors replaced this last summer because of warping; the service guys said that Kawasaki was recommending replacement wit 2011 model rotors.  My C14 is a 2009.  Once replaced, everything is great.

On a side note, they tried some EBC rotors, but it was nearly as bad as my warped rotors according to them.  So, because they had recommended the EBC rotors that weren't satisfactory, the used 2011 C14 rotors from Kawasaki for the same price at the EBC's.  I'm a satisfied customer. ;)

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2017, 12:39:55 am »
Are the ZX14 rotors a direct swap?  I have seen quite a few rotors for the ZX14, but not much listed for the C14.  If they are the same then I can look up ZX14 rotors and install those.

Ryan
The rotors are a direct swap, So is the front wheel. I have the front wheel, Rotors & all hardware from a 2012 ZX14 on my 2012 Connie  :beerchug:

But why?
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2017, 01:31:03 am »
Why?  It's not clear to me that there is any difference between the ZX-14 rotors and the C14 rotors.  For some years they Kawasaki PNs are the same, for other years I think the only actual difference is coloring of the hub.  I have an 08 ZX-14 and the rotors on it appear to be exactly the same in every respect to the ones on my 2012 C14.

I'm still skeptical on this warping idea.  I believe the issue is some sort of corrosion that happens between the rotors and the pads when the bike sits for a while, especially if the bike had been ridden in the rain.  Perhaps the pads soak up some water and that causes some reaction with the rotors.

My 08 C14 (now sold) came with "warped" rotors but some work with a paint stripping disk took care of the problem.  I knew they weren't warped because a runout gauge said they were not warped but a microfiber cloth wiped across the surface showed a brake pad sized roughened area on all 4 surfaces.  It was not possible to feel it with my fingers but the cloth caught in the roughened surface.

This issue seems to be specific to the C14 as I've not really heard of it with the ZX-14.  Not sure why, perhaps the OEM brake pads are different.

Anyway, I think a lot of guys have spent a lot of unnecessary money buying new rotors when they really didn't need to.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline br

• Mini Bike
  • If you wana get fast, ride lots
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2017, 10:35:37 pm »
BR here. All I know is my rotors were replaced twice. The first time the pads were not replaced, the bike had only three thousand miles on the OD, so the rep thought all would be OK, not. The last time the factory said zx14 rotors with zx14 pads. No more problems. Don't know why, don't care. It may be different materals in the rotors and pads?No cost to me.

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2017, 02:39:43 am »
$800.00 for two rotors :-\  :41:

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2017, 02:54:53 am »
Hi,
        I've never had any problem on my 2012. with brakes...

I think the OEM's are good to go!

What I did do, to make a difference, is change out the brake fluid, and bleed the brakes well.

My brakes were BETTER, then, than the way they came from the factory! :great:

I believe that the factory ships the bikes dry, and the dealer has to do all that when they put it together.   That could explain the brakes if someone @ the dealership just kinda slapped it together.

Ryan

Hi,
        I'll buy that! ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline Grendel

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2017, 03:48:03 am »
Hi,

Ryan
I have seen quite a few people claim one of the first upgrades one should do to the C14 before power is brakes.  I'm looking into the steel braided lines, is that all that's needed?  What about the EBC rotors?

Where do you get all your knowledge from ?

Here, and ZGGTR.  I'm quickly learning that there are a lot of people on the internet that like to blow smoke when they have no clue.  That's why I never post something as fact if I'm not sure.  I get info from wherever I can, but then still have to verify it 8 ways from Sunday.

Ryan