Author Topic: ZX14 seats  (Read 7975 times)

Offline RyanP

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
ZX14 seats
« on: June 02, 2012, 04:23:23 am »
So I guess ZX14 riders are often using a C14 seat, so does that mean a ZX14 seat would fit a C14?

I only ask because the only aftermarket seat I like for the C14 is the 06-11 Zx14 Corbin

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9279
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: ZX14 seats
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 05:14:26 am »
Just have to swap the hardware. I did it both ways (ZX14 -> C14, C14 -> ZX14) and the seats are all on the same baseplate, pretty much.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline RyanP

• Bicycle
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 05:35:16 am »
Cool, thank you

Offline joe in calif

• Road Bike
  • If you are born once you will die twice,
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 11:17:21 am »
How does the ZX 14 seat differ from the C 14 seat, They look about the same.
If you are born once you will die twice.
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 01:53:55 pm »
The newest zx14 uses a seat that looks very c14 like. But, the models from 2011 and older have a different seat. Its lower, more narrow, and more firm.  Not as much support for passengers, though.

Personally, the zx14 seat, the older model, works really well for me.   The shape at the front makes the bike easier to deal with at stops.
Ivans Ecu reflash, Brembo front rotors

Offline MidlifeCrisis

• Scooter
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 03:39:54 pm »
I have both the "older" ZX14 seat and the Kawi low gel seat.  The ZX14 seat is great for everyday commuting and around town riding.  It is about an inch lower than stock C14, is narrower up front, has more rounded corners and slipprier seat surface, all of which allow me (30"inseam) to slide around and shift my weight as necessary at stoplights, and for doing a bit of "spirited" riding.  I am sure that was Kawi's intent for the ZX14 seat.

For touring, however, I prefer the low gel seat's wider flatter and much gripper seat surface.  I don't need to slide around too much when I'm going 1 to 1-1/2hr at a stretch, and I appreciate the wider and flatter support.

Swapping seats is easy enough (after the hardware changeover mentioned on the ZX14 seat), I intend to keep both of them.

BTW, I don't do 2up, so no idea which seat is better for that.
'09 Concours ABS, Candy Diamond Red
'08 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory, Red Lion
'05 GSXR600 (track bike)

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 07:14:22 pm »
I have a Concours 14 factory gel seat (option) that I am putting on for my trip to Arkansas. I just can't touch the ground solidly enough with the Baldwin GT to want to do 3 days each way plus riding there on my tippy toes.

In November when VA does my knee replacements, I'll ask Chief of Orthopedic Sugery (who will do the actual surgery) to make me 1-1/2" taller.  ;D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline sarge

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10328
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 12:59:46 am »
Two words...lower it.  Seriously..lowering links 2 inches in back. Slide the forks 1-1/4. Buy Murphs side stand...I,m too old to drag the pegs anyway!

Offline RideBellChain

• I ride because I can...
  • Street Cruiser
  • Nothing like a good sweeper on an empty road...
    • RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
  • COG#: 10039
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 03:24:23 pm »
I have both the "older" ZX14 seat and the Kawi low gel seat.  The ZX14 seat is great for everyday commuting and around town riding.  It is about an inch lower than stock C14, is narrower up front, has more rounded corners and slipprier seat surface, all of which allow me (30"inseam) to slide around and shift my weight as necessary at stoplights, and for doing a bit of "spirited" riding.  I am sure that was Kawi's intent for the ZX14 seat.

For touring, however, I prefer the low gel seat's wider flatter and much gripper seat surface.  I don't need to slide around too much when I'm going 1 to 1-1/2hr at a stretch, and I appreciate the wider and flatter support.

Swapping seats is easy enough (after the hardware changeover mentioned on the ZX14 seat), I intend to keep both of them.

BTW, I don't do 2up, so no idea which seat is better for that.

Who sells the Kawi Low Gel Seat? 
Ride Safe!
Mark
http://www.RideBellChain.com

Road Captain SCRC 456 - West Palm Beach, FL
ROK ROK100028857

Offline MidlifeCrisis

• Scooter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 03:35:47 pm »
Who sells the Kawi Low Gel Seat?
I bought mine used off fleebay.  Otherwise, any place that sells genuine Kawasaki accessories can get it.  I've seen it "discounted" for around $450.  At that price, I probably would rather go with the Sargent version.
'05 GSXR600 (track bike)

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 01:30:50 am »
I just got my sargent low seat today. I've not ridden far with it, but so far its the best of all. Similar to the zx14 seat up front  ,lower and narrower than the c14 seat.  As you slide back into the riding position, the sargent feels firm and supportive (imagine that!).

Offline RideBellChain

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 07:03:08 pm »
Thanks guys...it seems like Sargent will be the backup, as I'm getting more and more tempted to shave it down myself, and use a piece of memory foam as I've seen in some of the online "how-to's".

I think if I take it down about 3/4" and then replace 1/4 memory foam, round the corners a bit where my leg starts to hurt, I'll be good... Now I just need to find the courage to do it...    ???
Ride Safe!
Mark

ROK ROK100028857

Offline Gigantor

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9242
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 04:38:12 am »
Mark RideBellChain,

How long have you had your seat?  The stockers do compress a little after time.  If your looking to shave 3/4" and and 1/4" of memory foam keep in mind that 1/4" won't do much and it will compress quickly especially when warm.  Once compressed it will offer very little cushioning.

A ZX14 seat will fit right onto a C14.  I didn't have to replace any hardware, just slap it on.  It offers a little longer seating position meaning you can move back a little and it's also a little narrower in the front and it will slide you onto the tank because it's angled that way.  I sent my ZX14 seat to Russell to have it modified and it works great for me.

Good luck
1988 CBR600  Long Gone, 1985 VF750   Sold
1996  Royalstar Sold, 1993 CBR1000F  Sold
2003  C-10  Sold
2008  C-14  Destroyed, 2008  C-14  So Far So Good
COG 9242   AMA 1082581  ROK ROK100028645

Offline MidlifeCrisis

• Scooter
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 05:30:06 pm »
...A ZX14 seat will fit right onto a C14.  I didn't have to replace any hardware, just slap it on...

Yes it will, but you won't get the benefit of the two center hook latches.  The seat will hold on via the two front tangs and the rear locking latch.

Personally, I would feel a lot safer with the two additional center latches from the stock seat.  There will be that much less chance of the seat coming loose at the wrong time.
'05 GSXR600 (track bike)

Offline RideBellChain

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 07:28:19 pm »
Interesting about the ZX14 seat...I need to find one to try! 

As far as the second comment for the latches in the middle...it's OK, it's not gonna come off while my 215lb fat a** is sitting on it!  :)

If it's secured in the front and rear and doesn't move around, I think it will be fine.

Anyone in my neck of the woods with a ZX14?  (Palm Beach County, FL)

I wonder if the dealer would let me try one on....hmmmm....  I actually sat on one the other day while they were changing my oil, but got off pretty quickly because I LIKED IT!  I never thought I'd like the position, but my back is much stronger now from riding the Connie, and it was actually fairly comfy.  The tank sits up higher, and it also helps to support your weight (as opposed to our bikes).
Ride Safe!
Mark

ROK ROK100028857

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 01:25:27 pm »
Ride, I do like my zx14 seat, and can recommend one due to the low cost.  The more-narrow front makes stoplights easy to deal with, and the lower position ends up makign the bars feel higher.  Plus, you can sell the hardware from the zx14 seat and recover a lot of the cost back. 

If the stock seat is a 5, the zx14 seat is a solid 6.  It still slides a person forward, and is nto a very good seat for passengers, though.  It is much more supportive than the stock seat which feels like a worn out pilow-top mattress....pee stains and all.

My last seat is a Sargent Low, and its very nice.  It offers a very similar feel to the zx14 seat, but with real firm padding an dgreat support.  It felt expensive in paying for it,  but reasonable once I rode on it.

Offline MidlifeCrisis

• Scooter
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 07:28:39 am »
One thing to keep in mind is that the ZX14 seat does not have the added foam blocks under the seat at the very tail end of it.  The C14 has these to seal off the elements and keep the underseat electrical connections dry.  You might want to purchase some foam strips with adhesive back at Lowes or Home Depot, and then fashion something similar to what's on the C14 seat.
'05 GSXR600 (track bike)

Offline RideBellChain

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 02:04:02 pm »
Sounds like the Sargeant is going to be the best bet, because my wife does like to go for a ride with me...it's already fairly uncomfortable for her.  If I make it worse, it just means more time on the cruiser...which used to be GREAT before I bought my Connie.  :)
Ride Safe!
Mark

ROK ROK100028857

Offline RyanP

• Bicycle
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 05:35:53 pm »
Were you guys aware the '12 ZX14's seat was significantly updated? Rave reviews I have heard. Just so you know, if you going down that route

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 02:07:50 am »
I've yet to see a 12 zx14 seat for sale on ebay.  I imagine Kawasaki wants big $$$$ for one????

I'll try one as soon as I find it on ebay.  For now, though, the Sargent Low is it for me.  Its  a great seat and works very well for me.