Author Topic: ZX14r engine for the C14  (Read 10023 times)

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: ZX14r engine for the C14
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 10:46:23 pm »
So if one day I decide that I don't really need to drink beer anymore because I have changed

:-\

No No No Cap'n, step away from the ledge bro!!  ;)  :beerchug:
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 11:25:09 pm »

So if one day I decide that I don't really need to drink beer anymore because I have changed and don't feel the need as much or anymore at all, that I'm a recovering alcoholic? Which in it's own right, is not right. Your not in recovery. Either your an alcoholic or your not. Some folks just cope better with it day by day.  But someone who enjoys a beer or other drink, is not necessarily an alcoholic!   ;)
C'mon Bob, quit trying to make what I said something else.  You know what an alcoholic is, you know what an addict is, and you know what a junkie is.  They are individuals with a drug dependency. They are not casual users, recreational users, or moderate users. They are chronic users with a compulsive desire that leads to behavior associated with and leading to psychological and physical dependence.  You deciding not to have a beer tonight likely isn't the same thing.

An alcoholic who is not drinking is considered sober, but still an alcoholic.  A heroin junkie who isn't using is still an addict, just a sober or straight one.  While not totally unheard of, very rare is the alcoholic who becomes the one round social drinker, and toss a heroin addict a balloon or meth-head an eightball and see how many don't relapse.  Regardless of the behavior, whether acted upon or not, it's the latent or active desire that defines the condition, isn't it? 

I know some folks may think that a ZX14 is an indication of a serious problem and I really can't argue against that idea, IMHO, even an FJR could be a gateway bike.  But it's up to you to decide, "Should I let her eat, or not."
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 11:34:12 pm »
But nobody on this forum is qualified to diagnose my mental and emotional state.

And I don't think some of you have a clue what a real adrenaline rush is. Because if you think its going fast on a motorcycle, all I have to say is, WEAK.

So, what I hear you saying is that it's lonely where you are?   :rotflmao:   :beerchug:
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Jeremy

• Road Bike
  • I put on my pants for this?!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9899
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 12:14:26 am »
I admit I spent most of my life until about 10 years ago on an adrenaline high. But nobody on this forum is qualified to diagnose my mental and emotional state.

And I don't think some of you have a clue what a real adrenaline rush is. Because if you think its going fast on a motorcycle, all I have to say is, WEAK.

Jump out of a jet doing 800 knots at 1,200 feet wearing 190 pounds of combat gear into a jungle swamp and see how much adrenaline you got pumping....

Or dive a WWII freighter wreck in 260 feet of water 12 miles off the coast of South Carolina, and hang for 30 minutes on a decompression rope using the tanks tied to the rope because yours are empty, knowing if you come up without staying the full time at each stop, you'll get bent. I remember loading a guy onto the basket of a Coast Guard helicopter (they lowered it to our fantail) because he got bent. He lived. When people's lives are at risk around you, that is an adrenaline rush.

The weakest adrenaline rush I ever got was going fast on a motorcycle. It doesn't do anything for me, considering the things I've done and experienced, and seen.

There have been lots of Soldiers die trying to find that new "high" after coming back from combat by driving or riding their new toys in an out of control manner.  I am one of those that try to get a rush when riding my motorcycle.  Not from all out speed, but by hitting corners quickly and trying to use good form.  That is my drug and I plan to keep "using''. 
Kick the tires and light the fires

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 01:24:55 am »
But nobody on this forum is qualified to diagnose my mental and emotional state.

So, what I hear you saying is that it's lonely where you are?   :rotflmao:   :beerchug:

I don't know what you mean.... pretty sure you are delusional though.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline Trouble

• Road Bike
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2012, 02:47:38 am »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  This thread is to much !  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

ROTFLMAO  :beerchug:
No matter where I go, There I am !

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2012, 07:31:42 am »

So if one day I decide that I don't really need to drink beer anymore because I have changed and don't feel the need as much or anymore at all, that I'm a recovering alcoholic? Which in it's own right, is not right. Your not in recovery. Either your an alcoholic or your not. Some folks just cope better with it day by day.  But someone who enjoys a beer or other drink, is not necessarily an alcoholic!   ;)
C'mon Bob, quit trying to make what I said something else.  You know what an alcoholic is, you know what an addict is, and you know what a junkie is.  They are individuals with a drug dependency. They are not casual users, recreational users, or moderate users. They are chronic users with a compulsive desire that leads to behavior associated with and leading to psychological and physical dependence.  You deciding not to have a beer tonight likely isn't the same thing.

An alcoholic who is not drinking is considered sober, but still an alcoholic.  A heroin junkie who isn't using is still an addict, just a sober or straight one.  While not totally unheard of, very rare is the alcoholic who becomes the one round social drinker, and toss a heroin addict a balloon or meth-head an eightball and see how many don't relapse.  Regardless of the behavior, whether acted upon or not, it's the latent or active desire that defines the condition, isn't it? 

I know some folks may think that a ZX14 is an indication of a serious problem and I really can't argue against that idea, IMHO, even an FJR could be a gateway bike.  But it's up to you to decide, "Should I let her eat, or not."

Rev,

My point wasn't to try to change your thoughts. Only to point out that there is a difference between enjoying something and addictions. The same with speed. Just because your into speed and performance. That doesn't make you an addict. It just means your into something at one point. And like the enjoying beer theory, one day, your tastes or preferences can change (for what ever reason). Then maybe you do not feel a need to spend the time and money to make something faster. You can decide that your actually happy with it's performance.
   For what it's worth (IMO) if someone feels they are a speed addict and can't help but make things faster.  There's a good chance in this case that they cannot stop themselves from driving/riding at insane speeds. These folks should probably seek help (like any type of addict) and probably give up their licence. For if they always have to drive/ride at these kind of speeds because they can't control themselves. Then it's only a matter of time before they wind up hurting or killing others (besides themselves). That is what I would consider a speed addict. Not someone like yourself who just enjoys modifying something for the challenge, but has control over yourself and what you have created. You can open it up now and then to try it out. But you probably don't constantly ride at insane speeds.
    Now to be clear, I'm not saying anyone that rides fast at times is not in control. But if you have to "always" make something faster, and "always" have to ride it faster. Then maybe this person should not be on the road. For that I would consider this person an addict and a danger to folks. But if you only like to play with things, but really only play with it now and then. Well IMO, your not a speed addict. Only someone who has a hobby that they enjoy. And like any hobby, your interests can change.  ;)

Just to add:  I lost a friend a couple of years ago that had been an abuser or drugs. He got help for it, but substituted the drugs for caffeine and speed. He was one who had to make things faster. He had to ride way too fast and needed someone in front of him to keep him wound in. I had a long talk with him about it two days before he died. He discussed it fine, but he couldn't listen to reason and basically said that he just had that need for speed now and had trouble riding slow. His demise came when he hit the front of the SUV head on at over 100MPH. He was coming too fast and it wasn't the perfect line of sight and straight section of road. So when she turned left into the road, she could not see him coming becuase of his insane speed. And it is now over for him. But he was a speed junkie and couldn't help himself. There is a big differance between a junkie, addict or anything else you want to call it. And folks who have a hobby that they can control.
  So I do have strong opinions on this subject. My apologies if I offended anyone with them. Although I still do think that Troubles comments (that spurned my previous post) were not as honorable as he made them out to be. So I responded to them. For I didn't take them so light heartily. So my apologies also to Trouble if his comments were in fact only a light hearted post. (although he may want to throttle back the way he words things also, because I do get PM's and emails on a lot of his light hearted posts).   :-*

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 07:54:39 am by Cap'n Bob »

Offline laker9142

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 8680
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2012, 02:23:33 pm »
I have an 08 which I've put on 35000 miles. I don't have the desire to upgrade to a newer model as of now. But when they put the bigger motor in I'll be one of the first in line. Not that I'll go any faster, I just like torque. As far as adrenaline goes, I think you get immune to it after a while. The last time I was in a sprint car it had 775hp and weighed 1300lbs. Going into a corner on dirt at 130mph without lifting should have caused me some stress, but you really don't think about it when your doing it.

Offline BBerry

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9277
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2012, 12:53:05 am »
OK for all us speed lovers that are to old to act likes kids again.. shall we say a 10 sec shot of nitrous oxide for a quick adrenaline fix.. :)

Offline Necron99

• Crotch Rocket
  • rise again....
  • COG#: 9384
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2012, 12:25:25 pm »
I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'....

to nobody in particular.....

Offline C14Addict

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9098
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2012, 12:38:41 pm »
I know my addiction.
Don Frazier
79 GS1000 174K miles, Gone but not forgotten
08 ZG1400 118K miles, on way to next 100K

Offline EnsoniqDude

• Road Bike
  • Running Down a Dream
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2012, 02:30:46 pm »
Not sure why people have to denigrate someone for having a different opinion.  I have no great need to push my C14 into triple digits.  It wasn't designed to be a ZX-14 "lite".  Its a powerful touring bike - meant to load everything you would want to travel with, including a passenger and to be able to climb hills and pass with ease.  Nearly any modern sport / or sport standard bike from the early 1980's on up will get up into 140+ territory without any problem.  If that's what you want - feel free.  There are many on this forum that have no issue with the bike in its present form and don't feel the need to mod it out to make it into a ZX-14 with saddlebags.  That's our choice. 

For the amount of money pumped into mods for a C14 you can easily buy a ZX-14R and throw some softbags across the back.  Have at it.
2010 C14 - "Neptune Blue" - All praise be unto the blessed color!
2007 Ural Tourist
1997 ZX-11
1984 Nighthawk S
1976 CB750
1965 Dream

"Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear and when I do, its usually something strange and unusual."

Offline Trouble

• Road Bike
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2012, 08:33:51 pm »
Quote -For the amount of money pumped into mods for a C14 you can easily buy a ZX-14R and throw some softbags across the back.  Have at it. - End quote

I went in the Cycle shop yesterday while ordering me a Shoei helmet and talked to the salesman. they do already sell a kit for hard bags. the concours bags will fit it. throw in a nice windshield and ,your right, I can have it all !

I have to differ with you on the design of the connie. it was created more of the "SPORT" in mind . With a little mod that bike is just about the fastest on the road.  On decent curves and sweepers the connie is flat out GONE ! Been there done that with a group of bikes trying to catch me . The only one that did was a ZX14 .  If you cut your wind shiled down. dial in your suspension and duck down to the tank. the connie has no issue running sweepers at 150mph plus. She will handle them with ease .

In short, The concours 14 is the greatest sleeper ever created. I prove it every weekend. :-)

Online Sailor Rich

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9318
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2012, 11:09:17 am »
OK for all us speed lovers that are to old to act likes kids again.. shall we say a 10 sec shot of nitrous oxide for a quick adrenaline fix.. :)

Best comment yet Berry , we use a 50% mix with o2 for pain releif at work.

Offline Bluestar

• Big Wheels
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2012, 02:54:17 pm »
I probably wasn't clear regarding my original posting, as in no way do I believe that the purpose of the 14R motor in a de-tuned C14 version, would be to make the C14 a 14R.   My 14R engine is turbine smooth, with no buzz anywhere in it's operating range. My particular 09 C14 is smooth, but there is a notceable difference in smoothness between the two motors.  Additionally, 15-20 ft/lbs. more torque could really help getting a fully laden C14 cruising along even more effortlessly. The "Overtaking Discouraged" complaints in 6th gear would also be reduced.  The 14R engine seems very refined. Who knows, maybe with the smoothness and torque it could knock off the K1600.  You guys really need to put aside the "R" part of the equation and ride a 14R to really understand what I'm trying to get across.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:00:26 pm by Bluestar »
2012 ZX14R
2011 ZX10R
2009 ZX14

Offline Trouble

• Road Bike
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 05:19:48 pm »
The ZX 14 R has a longer stroke . It's one fast puppy, but Honda is saying it's new 1000 will do 150 through the quarter. Im going to look that up to see.  As for turning the connie engine into a ZX14R . Not going to happen. To much would have to be done. You could bump it up to the ZX14 engine but there goes your lower end . You do know with a few mods and a PCIII or PCV  and a good dyno tune. Along with titanium headers and a good carbon fiber can, the C14 will flat out fly .    :)

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 05:40:07 pm »
OR a turbo.