Author Topic: !mucho problema!  (Read 2925 times)

Offline eclektq

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum subscr
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: !mucho problema!
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2016, 01:24:24 am »
Gentlemen.....Two things bother me about the diagnosis of "Bad Southern Fuel". As someone who lives in Tennessee and have made my living delivering fuel to convenience stores, Box stores, Travel Centers and truck stops all over the South for over thirty years,
Please allow me to tell you......Your full of crap.....The EPA back in the late eighties came up with regulations that every and any
establishment that sells any kind of petroleum product and disperses them from in ground tanks must follow.....First of all, All in ground tanks that were made of steel were dug up and replaced with a sort of fiberglass tank that was settled down in a pea gravel
bed and set down to a depth that would maintain constant temps to discourage condensation that would foul the fuel in store....
There are a series of filters and water separators between the tank and the end of the nozzels going into your machine....The last line of defense against this phantom bug-a-boo "Bad Fuel' Is a wonderful device called a Veeder-Root...Don't take my word for it.....Google it....It is a computerized monitoring device that monitors fuel levels, Temperatures, And lastly...WATER LEVEL....Which will set off an alarm if there is so much as an inch of water in a twenty thousand gallon tank.....Here's what I think.....I'll bet some of you are are parking your Connies at the house and letting them set with empty of partially fueled tanks....I have Two Harleys,
 A pick-up, A car and the Connie....Along with various lawn equipment, And I make damn sure that when they're parked or stored they have full tanks of Lucas injector cleaner treated fuel.....I ride all over the South....And this great country....And have NEVER had my ride fail me due to "Bad Fuel" Problems.....And Gents....Thats over four decades of Motor Cycling.....My guess is...Tank lined with surface rust....And after vibration and stirring up trash from that and fueling.....Your getting small particles of that going into your carb and clogging up the fine holes in the jets......Hence the dropping of cylinders.....I know it's a bitch to see down into the Connies tank....But they make optic fiber devices that bend and transfer light into where your looking....Cleaning a rusted tank is simple.....Diesel.....And a couple had fulls of cleaned/washed small gravel of ball bearings and a whole lotta shaking......
Get this...And put it in a smaller bottle and keep it in your saddle bag.....3 oz to every tank.......You can't OD it....

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2016, 01:46:56 am »
Gentlemen.....Two things bother me about the diagnosis of "Bad Southern Fuel". As someone who lives in Tennessee and have made my living delivering fuel to convenience stores, Box stores, Travel Centers and truck stops all over the South for over thirty years,
Please allow me to tell you......Your full of crap.....The EPA back in the late eighties came up with regulations that every and any
establishment that sells any kind of petroleum product and disperses them from in ground tanks must follow.....First of all, All in ground tanks that were made of steel were dug up and replaced with a sort of fiberglass tank that was settled down in a pea gravel
bed and set down to a depth that would maintain constant temps to discourage condensation that would foul the fuel in store....
There are a series of filters and water separators between the tank and the end of the nozzels going into your machine....The last line of defense against this phantom bug-a-boo "Bad Fuel' Is a wonderful device called a Veeder-Root...Don't take my word for it.....Google it....It is a computerized monitoring device that monitors fuel levels, Temperatures, And lastly...WATER LEVEL....Which will set off an alarm if there is so much as an inch of water in a twenty thousand gallon tank.....Here's what I think.....I'll bet some of you are are parking your Connies at the house and letting them set with empty of partially fueled tanks....I have Two Harleys,
 A pick-up, A car and the Connie....Along with various lawn equipment, And I make damn sure that when they're parked or stored they have full tanks of Lucas injector cleaner treated fuel.....I ride all over the South....And this great country....And have NEVER had my ride fail me due to "Bad Fuel" Problems.....And Gents....Thats over four decades of Motor Cycling.....My guess is...Tank lined with surface rust....And after vibration and stirring up trash from that and fueling.....Your getting small particles of that going into your carb and clogging up the fine holes in the jets......Hence the dropping of cylinders.....I know it's a bitch to see down into the Connies tank....But they make optic fiber devices that bend and transfer light into where your looking....Cleaning a rusted tank is simple.....Diesel.....And a couple had fulls of cleaned/washed small gravel of ball bearings and a whole lotta shaking......
Get this...And put it in a smaller bottle and keep it in your saddle bag.....3 oz to every tank.......You can't OD it....

I respectfully DISAGREE!
First,
I used to manage a  Shell station, not all stations have the Veeder Root system. This way they keep getting their cash from the station operators on a regular basis.  Shell and the major players use them to allow/facilitate automatic fuel deliveries.
2, it is exceptionally simple to "trick" the water level sensor. This water level sensor DOES NOT stop you from getting a tank full of water under the right circumstances.
I have personally gotten large doses of water in with my fuel from non- name brand stations. These no name mom and pop stations CAN BE notorious for not changing filters and draining water separators as well as vacuuming the excess water from their tanks. THIS IS HOW IT HAPPENS!
Major name stations have service contracts as part of their lease agreements with the station operators. These contracts make sure things are maintained and excess water is removed from tanks.
3  ALL TANKS CONDENSE MOISTURE PERIOD!!! fiberglass, steel, plastic, whatever.  Fuel is delivered in a truck. In the summer this fuel can get quite warm, well above the 60* or so of the inground tank. This high temp fuel will end up causing condensation when it cools!  Likewise the same thing in winter when you get 30* fuel and dump it into a 60* tank.
Lastly,
Only the absolutely largest stations like truck stops have a 20,000 gallon tank. Most tanks are in the 6-10K range for normal sized stations. The have a JIT delivery system so they don't want to have that much fuel sitting in the ground, $$$$$.

Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2016, 12:09:56 pm »
^
Another reason to seek out Top Tier fuel.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

When I'm about to get gas, I have a pecking order. Top Tier, Chavez Citgo, non top tier majors with Marathon/Ashland on the bottom of that list. At the bottom of the list is the "scruffy" looking independent. It seems to work for me.

The lion's share of gas that we purchase is from Shell and Chevron, the most common brands around here.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2016, 01:25:51 pm »
The last time I purchased bad gas it was from a Chevron station.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.