Author Topic: ¡&¿%÷$#+'!!!! SHIFTING PROBLEM!!  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Thud300

• Taking the long way everywhere
  • Street Cruiser
  • my YouTube channel: "ToastRider"
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: ¡&¿%÷$#+'!!!! SHIFTING PROBLEM!!
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2016, 02:07:33 am »
Especially on a N-1 shift, you pull the clutch then pop the lever down firm. You want to hear a solid 'thunk' and not a ratchety sound, doing it that way prevents damage to the trans.
Returning old Kawis to riding glory since 2014
1998 Concours "Connimus Prime"  CDA #555
1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera"
1989 454 LTD "Merlin"

Offline BigK

• Scooter
  • COG#: 3642
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2016, 01:02:57 pm »
Have you tried pumping the clutch lever several times before holding it and trying to shift. If it shifts fine you still have air in the lines.
Kevin
Indy AAD

Offline K-Hill

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2016, 01:35:53 pm »
Thanks Rev and everyone, i'll bleed the system another time and make sure the ports are good, then pump and tape the lever overnight with the bars to the right. I'll test and report back.  :great:
1999 in Candy Amaranth Red, 90k miles

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2016, 03:23:25 pm »

Can you elaborate on the shifting with authority?

("authority" always makes me think of Cartman)

:))

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11081
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2016, 03:26:06 pm »
K-Hill, I'm going to say that the lever looks OK to me.

Connie is a bike that needs to be handled firmly in a number of respects.  You DO need to shift with authority and not gingerly with her.  And it does still sound as if you possibly have some air in the clutch. 

So, to remedy that I would pump up the clutch and then wrap a bungee cord or duct tape or something around the lever to hold it tight to the bar and let it set overnight.  Turn the bars to the right to elevate the clutch master cylinder while it sets.  Here's what you are hoping to accomplish by doing this.  When bleeding the clutch tiny air bubbles are introduced to the fluid as it is getting stirred and pushed around.  You cannot bleed them out, because they are all over the place evenly spaced in the fluid throughout the system (this works for brakes as well as the clutch).  When you permit the fluid to set still overnight, the tiny bubbles all come together to form a larger bubble and naturally they rise to the highest point... right near the master cylinder.  But as soon as you grab the clutch lever, you start pushing that bubble around again and breaking it back up.  When you tie off the lever with the fluid compressed and pushing on the clutch, the bubble rises to the top again, but since the first action that will happen is RELEASING the fluid from the pressure, the bubble is instantly sucked into the reservoir where it dissipates and is no longer in the line. A zillion tiny bubbles compress just like one big bubble so as long as it can remain in the line, you cannot effectively bleed it out and the lever remains mushy and not fully hydraulic.  Give it a shot.  It's the cheapest, easiest, most effective form of bleeding you can do when pouring fluid through is getting you nowhere.

Great explanation of why tying the lever overnight helps, I should do it as a preemptive measure now.

I think the good news for the OP is that: Connie clutches are tough, and that is likely fine. The little shifter spring that is buried within the bike is likely still attached, or there would be no shifting any time. The clutch slave cylinder, the lines, and the master just need more attention as this seems to catch alot of people. They bleed, and bleed, and fuss, and finally the clutch hydraulics start working as they should. I think Rev eluded to why this is so tough.

Also members have lost shifting capabilities when the bike got hot, the cause was dirty fluid and clutch slave cylinders not in working order.

Good luck!
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2016, 03:29:39 pm »

Can you elaborate on the shifting with authority?

("authority" always makes me think of Cartman)

:))

Here Willy:

via Imgflip Meme Maker
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2016, 03:52:30 pm »
Haha, nice VTConnie!

Exactly what I was goin fer, but I'm workin' from the iPad at the moment - editing just ain't that easy with it (my phone is actually better at it than the iPad).

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2016, 11:55:18 pm »
Are the lines still oem. From 1999? Possible interior deterioration blocking fluid path?

Offline alan

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11951
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2016, 04:06:36 pm »
So why doesn't it shift?  Again, I hate it when I don't get the ending.....
....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2016, 04:29:29 pm »
So why doesn't it shift?  Again, I hate it when I don't get the ending.....
It's as of yet, still undiagnosed as far as I can tell.
I'm thinking shift fork, detent, easy neutral shifty doodad, or sumpin along the lines inside the case.  But it would be a pain and a shame to go that deep to find it was just the clutch not fully disengaging.  Without determining the clutch release mechanism's condition and performance, "why it doesn't shift" is going to be a tough call to make. 

All we know at this point is that a lot of fluid has gone through the system.  We don't know if the master cylinder is leaking internally or not holding pressure.  We don't know for sure if it's moving a large enough volume of fluid to move the slave cylinder fully.  We don't even know that the air has actually ever been purged from the system (fully bled). 
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie