Author Topic: '95 concourse transmission problems  (Read 277 times)

Offline Jeff

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
'95 concourse transmission problems
« on: October 11, 2018, 02:59:06 am »
 >:(

Help!
I just bought a '95 ZG1000 and when starting the engine, it first binds and won't crank, then after a couple times of that it starts right up and has a loud knocking sound. I was thinking maybe the clutch so I tried engaging the clutch and it shifted from neutral to first gear just fine. I released the clutch and the engine died. I tried again and gave it more gas and it died again. I tried shifting to a higher gear and found it won't s*** into any gear except first and neutral.
Not a bike mechanic, but acts like it could be stuck in 2 gears at once???? Don't know. Can't think of why it would die every time I released the clutch.
Please help me out with this dilema.

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
Re: '95 concourse transmission problems
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 09:11:29 am »
Is the kickstand down?

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 09:14:10 am »
Yep, that would do it.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 09:55:50 am »
Yes with the sidestand down it will die when clutch handle is released or a sticky side stand switch making it think the side stand is down will do it too. There is a plunger type switch with a rubber boot that you can insert the straw of a wd40 can into and give it a good squirt while you have it on the centerstand and then exercise the sidestand up and down.

The transmission won't up shift until the bike is moving.

The real worry is the binding and knocking noise, did it continue to knock as you were trying to get it to go? Describe binding a little better. Do a search on here for hydrolock, you could have a bent connecting rod. There is a piston height check that can tell you if this is the case. I would investigate that further before trying to start it.

What was the condition of the bike when you bought it? Miles? Sitting for awhile?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:42:22 pm by Bob_C_CT »
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 10:50:45 am »
Take a video and post it on you tube, google photos or some other site that you could share from.  Once it's posted there, you can post a link to it.  You might be surprised how much that would help this process along.  If you need help with that, PM me and I'll get it posted for you.

Offline JPD

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12064
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 11:37:25 am »
Side stand down it will die when the clutch is let out.

Transmission will not shift to 2nd or higher unless the bike is in motion. Transmission output shaft turning.

Starter stopped on first attempt to start then turns and starts. May be hydro-lock. Did you have a strong smell of gas or gas dripping out of exhaust?

All items can be found by searching the forum.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 01:54:37 pm »
  Before you spend any time or $$$ do this test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W6k3pTdAXw&feature=plcp

If it passes then you can go ahead and fix things. If it doesn't the engine is probably toast. :'(
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc