Author Topic: "And now for something completely different"  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Mike

• Street Cruiser
  • Re-cycled ;)
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9694
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
"And now for something completely different"
« on: November 21, 2011, 08:03:14 pm »
Boy,I thought I had heard about every noise a cycle could make until this morning.It is chilly here and I went to the store on (RedRum) and at around 35 mph there is a mid-range Whooooooooooo! that gets a little louder and higher in pitch the faster you go until it almost goes away completely at around 60 plus.It seems to be coming from the cluster or front end.New front tire,bearings etc.Any input would be appreciated before I start tearing the thing apart and finding that this is normal for the connie.The original front tire from the PO was CUPPED,BADLY!It didn't make the noise in HOT weather.New Avon Storm 2 Ultra seems perfect.HALP? ::)
Old Dude
AMA#2749878
CMA#99113
1991(Chunk),but,it runs!
1992 KLR650(The Fairy)

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
Re: "And now for something completely different"
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 08:06:19 pm »
Pull the front wheel, dismantle the speedo drive and clean and grease it.  Re-install and try again.  THis is USUALLY the culprit.  I know it sounds like the gauge itself, but humor an old guy and try it.  Oh, lube the cable while you have it disconnected too.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Mike

• Street Cruiser
  • Re-cycled ;)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 08:17:13 pm »
Pull the front wheel, dismantle the speedo drive and clean and grease it.  Re-install and try again.  THis is USUALLY the culprit.  I know it sounds like the gauge itself, but humor an old guy and try it.  Oh, lube the cable while you have it disconnected too.
Thx Rev...I thought about it when I had the wheel off last week and I DID put some Honda moly paste on it.But I didn't lube the cable.....'scuse me.....ahem.....AAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!You wouldn't think retirement would affect your tech memory but,MAN,does it!(sniff)I am just gettin' old dudes and dudesses.All that '60's brain damage doesn't help either and thx again Rev. :-[   P.S.   Old guy?    Kids! ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 08:23:54 pm by Mike »
Old Dude
AMA#2749878
CMA#99113
1991(Chunk),but,it runs!
1992 KLR650(The Fairy)

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:35:40 pm »
Thx Rev...I thought about it when I had the wheel off last week and I DID put some Honda moly paste on it.But I didn't lube the cable.....'scuse me.....ahem.....AAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!You wouldn't think retirement would affect your tech memory but,MAN,does it!(sniff)I am just gettin' old dudes and dudesses.All that '60's brain damage doesn't help either and thx again Rev. :-[   P.S.   Old guy?    Kids! ;D
Hey there whipper snapper.  SHow some respect. LOL 

OK, you have me by a few months maybe.
And about the main thing... the drive unit.  THe grease inside them turns to concrete and ya need to wash it out with solvent and replace it.  A little fresh don't usually cut it.  DAMHIK   ::)

PS  THe 60's is when I first met Hogboy trapped in a mirror in a friend's trailer house bathroom.  Never did get him out.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 08:38:08 pm by Rev Ryder »
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 08:45:03 pm »

:iagree:

Speedo related was the first thing I thought of.
| Steve Smith | COG #3184 | MSF/CONREP RC |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 09:01:09 pm »
Ifn you want you can just pull the center cable out of the speedo and see if the noise is still there when ridden.  If noise is gone then try the lube a ra cation and if that does not fix it then it could be in the gauge.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 10:02:38 pm »
Ifn you want you can just pull the center cable out of the speedo and see if the noise is still there when ridden.  If noise is gone then try the lube a ra cation and if that does not fix it then it could be in the gauge.

BTDT before Bob, if the noise is in the drive it will stop when you pull the cable as it's the cable that seems to carry the noise up to the gauges.  It about made me crazy the first time.  In fact, I changed the gauges. LOL
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Mike

• Street Cruiser
  • Re-cycled ;)
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 12:18:48 am »
Back in the day when I still had great tools and some brains I would have thought of this.I have cleaned a FEW speedo drives in my time.I just brain farted.I mean....it never even occurred to me.Geez I'm gettin'old.And hey Rev,it ain't just the year of the vehicle,it's the mileage.And my personal mileage is all in town with no oil in the motor....LOL!Thx for the help guys. :bravo_2:
Old Dude
AMA#2749878
CMA#99113
1991(Chunk),but,it runs!
1992 KLR650(The Fairy)

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 12:36:24 pm »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline Mike

• Street Cruiser
  • Re-cycled ;)
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 05:31:28 pm »

Ah,another Monty Python fan......awesome! ;D
Old Dude
AMA#2749878