Author Topic: Engine won't rev, idles poorly but only when hot. {SOLVED!}  (Read 9172 times)

Offline Claude aka MotorcycleClaude

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9011
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Engine won't rev, idles poorly but only when hot. {Update}
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 12:17:51 am »
That sucks Chris!

Those part numbers should be good from 1986 to 2006 as per a Kawasaki site.

How or why the length would have changed doesn't make since the bike is essentially the same.

It really sounds like you're dealing with a group of dumasses.

Measure the length of the wires from a stock bike and compare and then bring your proof to the dealer, pictures always help.  I could see them change the design of cap going to the coil but a different length is plain stupid.

Good luck!
MotorcycleClaude

Offline motonerd14

• Nerd n' Ziggy
  • Street Cruiser
  • Go West, young man...
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9283
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 03:24:14 am »
That sucks Chris!

How or why the length would have changed doesn't make since the bike is essentially the same.

Measure the length of the wires from a stock bike and compare and then bring your proof to the dealer, pictures always help.  I could see them change the design of cap going to the coil but a different length is plain stupid.

Good luck!

Thanks Claude. I'm really and truly disappointed with this whole ordeal. The wires can't be changed on these new coils, the shape of the coil is substantially different, and the quality of the wires themselves leaves something to be desired.

I've gone back and forth with them over this, and have now e-mailed the head of their Engines and Power Products department, as well as demanding the name of this Nate fellow's supervisor, as well as their supervisor.

I'm out $185 for parts I cannot use. I want blood at this point. I've been working 70+ hour weeks for the past 3 months, and all I wanted was one day to ride my motorcycle. I can't even have that now, as it won't run for more than a few miles before it starts to lose power.

There's an upshot to all of this, two, actually: one, is that a fellow Cogger was kind enough to ship out a spare set of coils to me. (Blaise, you totally rock dude!)

Two, it's shortened my lest of new bike candidates considerably, insofar as Kawasaki is completely off the list now. My thinking is, if they're going to do this to me over something this small, what on earth will they try to pull when the ECU in my future Concours 14 fails, or the KiPass system stops working, and so on? I can't afford litigation, but I sure wish I could...

In any event, the bike will be fixed soon enough, thanks to COG. Like the motto, come for the bike, stay for the PEOPLE!

Will post any other updates/developments as they come.

You guys rock!
2012 C14 - 'Ziggy'
2005 KLR650 - 'Klara'

Offline Claude aka MotorcycleClaude

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9011
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 01:07:55 pm »
Hey Chris!

Yeah, Blaise is a good dude, met him and Kathy in Vermont.

Hope you get out for a run.
Claude
MotorcycleClaude

Offline motonerd14

• Nerd n' Ziggy
  • Street Cruiser
  • Go West, young man...
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2012, 05:58:10 pm »
Returned the coils. Got my money back. That is one experience I hope to never have to repeat.

Once the the set from Blaise come in, will install them, and it should be good to go.
2012 C14 - 'Ziggy'
2005 KLR650 - 'Klara'

Offline BBroj

• Road Bike
  • To be determined...
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9331
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2012, 01:29:34 pm »
Sorry I haven't been following this thread, Chris, I would have gotten the coils to you sooner! In any case, thanks for the kind words (you too Claude!) and I hope you get this resolved soon so you can have your day on the bike. Working 70 hour weeks, it sounds like you deserve at least that!
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS  One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box and much more to come!
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=6886;type=avatar&time=1422481871
COG 9331

Offline Redbarron

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10045
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 01:34:32 pm »
Hello voileauciel:

Thank god those idiots refunded your money!!

Hate to bring it up, but could you post pictures, part#s as well as the Stealership info so the rest of us can avoid this.

Let us know if you need any help man.

Thank You
Never Allow the Radicall Views of the Few to Infringe on the Constitutional Rights of the Many

Offline Reaper1

• Captain E.B. Hammonds ('89-'94 US Marines, '01-'06 US Navy, '07-'09 US Army)
  • Road Bike
  • I'm with the government and I'm here to help!!!
    • The Comms Shop - Tactical Division
  • COG#: 10520
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 02:27:37 pm »
That sucks Chris!

Good luck!

Thanks Claude. I'm really and truly disappointed with this whole ordeal. The wires can't be changed on these new coils, the shape of the coil is substantially different, and the quality of the wires themselves leaves something to be desired.

I've gone back and forth with them over this, and have now e-mailed the head of their Engines and Power Products department, as well as demanding the name of this Nate fellow's supervisor, as well as their supervisor.

I'm out $185 for parts I cannot use. I want blood at this point. I've been working 70+ hour weeks for the past 3 months, and all I wanted was one day to ride my motorcycle. I can't even have that now, as it won't run for more than a few miles before it starts to lose power.

There's an upshot to all of this, two, actually: one, is that a fellow Cogger was kind enough to ship out a spare set of coils to me. (Blaise, you totally rock dude!)

Two, it's shortened my lest of new bike candidates considerably, insofar as Kawasaki is completely off the list now. My thinking is, if they're going to do this to me over something this small, what on earth will they try to pull when the ECU in my future Concours 14 fails, or the KiPass system stops working, and so on? I can't afford litigation, but I sure wish I could...

In any event, the bike will be fixed soon enough, thanks to COG. Like the motto, come for the bike, stay for the PEOPLE!

Will post any other updates/developments as they come.

You guys rock!

I agree with your concern about the C14's long term support with their complex electrical systems and little plastic gears on the windshield.

The C10s are of a generation that things can be actually repaired for the foreseeable future.

Heck, with a lead lined wrap around blanket on her, with the C10's the less sensitive nature of the electronics have a much better chance of survival in a nuclear world with all that's going on these days. (Anyone that was trained as a Nuclear, Biological and Chemical team should be able to see what I'm talking about...)
COG# 10520
1999 ZG1000 in Olive Drab and running around half necked. (The Blacksheep)

Purveyor of firearm accessories found at www.commstactical.com

Offline Redbarron

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 04:02:02 pm »
In case of disaster I still have old Greeny :nananana: Analog ignition
Never Allow the Radicall Views of the Few to Infringe on the Constitutional Rights of the Many

Offline motonerd14

• Nerd n' Ziggy
  • Street Cruiser
  • Go West, young man...
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 04:18:13 pm »
Hello voileauciel:

Hate to bring it up, but could you post pictures, part#s as well as the Stealership info so the rest of us can avoid this.

Thank You

Sure!

Part numbers are 21121-1110 and 21121-1111, Coil-Ignition #1, #2.

I have a pic further up in the thread of what the new ones look like, but here's another shot of them:

Kawasaki Customer Service is convinced that these will work without issue. Considering that the wires are sealed on, I highly doubt they're thinking of their customers with this design.

Dealership is East Coast Powersports in Trenton, NJ.

I'm still pursuing the issue with KMC about the redesign of the parts, as this is just ridiculous.

I put the stock D8EA plugs in it yesterday, still running like it's missing a few cylinders. It's getting worse too, which tells me its almost definitely the coils now.

I never even installed the replacements that the dealer sent, as not only was the #4 wire too short, but the change in shape and size made me seriously concerned that these might not even put out the same amount of power, or could damage the rest of the electrical system.

Coming back to my issue with this practice, I'd be quite worried that they would pull this on their other products too: this particular part is a single-model design. Who's to say they won't do this in a few more years with the C14?
2012 C14 - 'Ziggy'
2005 KLR650 - 'Klara'

Offline Redbarron

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 11:50:09 am »
Hello voileauciel:

Thanks for posting the part #s and the picture.

That Kipass system is going to be the bain of every C14 owners existance.

Well hopefully the replacement coils get her straightened out.

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 07:22:35 pm »
Hello voileauciel:

Thank You

Just to add a sprig of reality to this thread...let me state:

It looks as though the dealership (notice, I used a "d" instead of a "st") ordered the correct parts, as per the Kawasaki fiche...and then they became the "party in the middle"...Kawi charged them for the parts they ordered...and, now, the customer tells them that the parts are wrong...the shop then checks with Kawasaki, who tells them that the part has been "updated" (which, Kawasaki has the right to do "without notice"...but, it is the correct part and will work...the customer still insists the parts are wrong...keep in mind, the dealership doesn't order a variety of parts just to "see if they have changed"...they don't have the money...or the time...and, the last time anyone there even looked at a C10 part on the fiche was six months before this incident...so, they are indeed caught in the middle...there is no mention of what transpired to get the dealership to refund the money...but, here are some choices...(1) the dealership was shown why the "correct" part wouldn't work (remember, they probably don't have a C10 to compare it to), and chose to issue a refund and address the issue with Kawasaki...(2) it was an iffy enough situation and they chose to side with their customer and return the offending parts on their own...(3) they decided it was not worth alienating a customer and having their name spread all over some forum due to the circumstances...or, (4) none of the above...

After learning more about this situation...I will remove my comments about the dealership...

Good luck Chris...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 03:12:26 pm by CRocker »

Offline motonerd14

• Nerd n' Ziggy
  • Street Cruiser
  • Go West, young man...
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2012, 04:29:06 am »
Their claim is that this is rare for Kawasaki to do, changing parts like that.

If I had the time and money, I would order a third set from BikeBandit, just to see what I get.

In any event, if you find yourself needing a new set of coils, consider T-Cro's stick coils instead. Any future parts/changes I make are coming from COG industry members, as these stealerships just can't be trusted.

On the subject of their actions, I would have had no issue if the dealer said "Let us look into it, we'll get back to you."

They did not, they blew me off and left me to fend for myself. That's not standing behind your product or your customer. I think I would know a thing or two about this, since I've been in the Customer Service field in one form or another since 1999.
2012 C14 - 'Ziggy'
2005 KLR650 - 'Klara'

Offline Redbarron

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2012, 12:39:50 pm »
Hello:

Irregardless of the fact that manufactures do in fact hold thier Dealerships hostage.
And that they are under no legal obligation to notify customers of product change.
The idea that any business would leave thier customer to fend for themselves is reprehensible.

The only reason they refunded his money was to keep him queit and hopefully save face!!

My dealership is selling me a replacement water pump at cost becouse the bearings on mine are junk after only a year.
That's awsome customer service they are willing to save me over $125.00 no ?s asked no arguing.

Offline motonerd14

• Nerd n' Ziggy
  • Street Cruiser
  • Go West, young man...
Re: Engine won't rev, idles poorly but only when hot. {SOLVED!}
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2012, 06:24:08 pm »
Hello:

Irregardless of the fact that manufactures do in fact hold thier Dealerships hostage.
And that they are under no legal obligation to notify customers of product change.
The idea that any business would leave thier customer to fend for themselves is reprehensible.

The only reason they refunded his money was to keep him queit and hopefully save face!!

My dealership is selling me a replacement water pump at cost becouse the bearings on mine are junk after only a year.
That's awsome customer service they are willing to save me over $125.00 no ?s asked no arguing.

What dealer is that RB? I'd gladly pay them a visit for any future purchases.

Looks like it was the coils after all. Swapped out the replacements that Blaise sent me, started up and ran without a hitch. Just to test, I started it again with the old coils and wouldn't run right, as it had been.

Feels like it's missing a few HP, but I think that's bad fuel, as it has been sitting for a few weeks and it rained here. Going to dump that and put in fresh gas, and she should be good as new!

Thanks to everyone for your help with this, and especially to Blaise for sending me the spare coils!
2012 C14 - 'Ziggy'
2005 KLR650 - 'Klara'

Offline BBroj

• Road Bike
  • To be determined...
  • COG#: 9331
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2012, 06:52:00 pm »
Glad to help, Chris, that's the only reason I kept them after going to TCro's stick coils. I even had them packed with me at the National in case anyone was troubleshooting or busted down. Like I said, I just wish I had checked this thread out earlier and could have saved you some headaches.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS  One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box and much more to come!
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=6886;type=avatar&time=1422481871
COG 9331

Offline Redbarron

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2012, 08:42:42 pm »
Hello voileauciel:

That would be Hooksett Kawasaki good group of guys.

Good to here those coils worked.  On a side note I found that after I flushed out my carbs with WD40 she ran allot better.
But I got some shmeg and rusty spoog out of them but not to bad, i've seen allot worse.

Anywho good luck bro

Offline motonerd14

• Nerd n' Ziggy
  • Street Cruiser
  • Go West, young man...
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2012, 01:36:05 am »
Thanks everybody, and especially Blaise!

RB, I'll have to make it a point to pays those folks a visit on my next trip up to NH. I make it a point to take each bike I own to the top of Mt. Washington so I can get the sticker. Might have to pick up my next bike up there! Would certainly save me some time with getting it up there to do the ride!
2012 C14 - 'Ziggy'
2005 KLR650 - 'Klara'