Author Topic: "New to you" 1st service/inspection  (Read 936 times)

Offline Wannabe

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
"New to you" 1st service/inspection
« on: March 30, 2014, 02:20:54 pm »
What are the "new to you" service suggestions for a new purchase?  I did a quick search and didn't see what I was looking for. I have an '01 w/ 32k miles. Carbs are off and getting ready for their trip to FLA. Planning on popping the valve cover and checking clearances today. What else should I be checking?  Besides the obvious...fluids, brakes, etc. Be nice to catch everything while the engine is somewhat exposed.

This is a very nice bike that runs superb. The PO had gone on a few extended trips and seems to have kept up on service. I'm just doing the initial inspection/service for peace of mind. So any specific areas of concern? Thanks,

Eric

Offline Dfresh

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10603
Re: "New to you" 1st service/inspection
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 02:28:40 pm »
Eric,
    My grand dad always told. Me when ever you buy something with a motor change the plugs ,fluid and Grease her up  pretty much give it a tune up cause if you didn't do it you never know of it was done that was that part can be checked off but as I learned I bought my bike by a guy that had a half decent service record and was the original owner that bought it in 99 so I didn't think much about doing anything to it I only had 45 miles on the bike before the water pump oring went bad and the jbox went nuts a week away from each other but to answer you question I'd give here a good look over like a woman in a bar  :) and then make her yours my friend but as most people will tell you the Connie is pretty solid bike other then the jbox solider braking causing a few issues and the hydro lock that a few have ran into
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:31:41 pm by Dfresh, Reason: Spelling »

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 02:59:48 pm »
If it ain't broke don't try and fix it. Just treat it as you've owned it
all the time and maintained as normal.

Offline Dfresh

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 10603
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 03:02:01 pm »
I agree with that statement when it comes to big stuff but something as little as tune up stuff I go do it it's cheap and easy to do

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 03:05:23 pm »
Check the fairing head stay bracket. Consider reinforcing it, if it hasn't been done already.

Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline Wannabe

• Mini Bike
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 05:13:48 pm »
Sugestions Willy?  Looks like it should be cut and replaced with solid stock. But if it isn't broken yet, how would one reinforce? 

Offline Smooooth

• Street Cruiser
  • Syracuse, NY
    • The Kaw Barn
  • COG#: 10396
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 05:34:07 pm »
Since I just did this today!!!!!!

Replace the O-Rings (3) on the rear coolant log. Trust 'US' COG'ers. 

Stephen
98 C10
73 Honda CT70
'The Kaw Barn' on Facebook

73"s de WA2FDU

Offline Rod

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11095
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 07:45:09 pm »
I agree with WillyP I bought 2002 41000 miles  same issue fairing head stay bracket found with help from COG  menbers thank you. Rod

Offline FX

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 11413
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 11:06:40 pm »
I'm a new to you guy myself. 2006 11000K.  Things I did while carb work was being done:  Replaced fork oil (15W), Lubed throttle cables, choke cable, speedo cable, checked steering bearing play, new brake fluid all around, new front pads, cleaned up calipers etc, new clutch fluid.  Still to be done:  Install SISF exhaust sprocket,  Carbs, new plug well seals, new valve cover gasket, flush gas tank, clean petcock,  new rear shock oil.  I found a little coolant on the floor when I removed the plastic.  I went around and snugged up all of the hose clamps (front fairing on PITA).  Had a drip on the floor today, just ordered the complete hose and clamp set from Murphs. Grease all of the rear suspension zerks, sync carbs, oil and filter change.  I think thats all of it:).  It's a lot, but by doing all of this you'll get to know the bike.  This is the first time I've gone this far into maintenance on my own.  With the GOG support, a manual and a little patience you'll get it done and know the condition of you bike.  Oh yeah, and just think of what the stealership would charge for all of that!!  It's a little slow being the first time around the block on this stuff the next time will be a lot faster.  Ran into a show stopper today, spark plug socket.  None of mine will fit and I don't have the tool kit that came with the bike.  Folks on the board say an 18MM thin wall will work. I'll get one tomorrow.  Good luck, If you have any questions post it up, someone will have the answer :great:

Offline Wannabe

• Mini Bike
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 12:34:43 am »
Steven, are those o-rings common, or Kawi special?

Offline Wannabe

• Mini Bike
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 12:38:00 am »
FX, I've done many of those things, but thats a great list. The PO has upgraded the front springs, so may hit the fork oil next spring. I'll work on the other items tho!  Thanks

Offline Smooooth

• Street Cruiser
  • Syracuse, NY
    • The Kaw Barn
  • COG#: 10396
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 12:39:28 am »
I got really lucky and found a set at a local 'little' hardware store that had several drawers full of O-Rings.

Otherwise, I think I got the first set from Murph. (I screwed them up - not enough Lube)

Stephen
98 C10
73 Honda CT70
'The Kaw Barn' on Facebook

73"s de WA2FDU

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 12:59:57 am »
Take a real good look at the coolant hoses.  If the PO hasn't changed them yet, they're overdue.
If you have the OEM clutch and brake lines, carefully inspect those as well.  Ma Kaw recommends replacement
after 4 years.  I put Stainless Steel lines in at 6 years... no more worries.  My hoses
are next on my project list, with thermostat and log o-rings.  Both the hose kit, and the
SS lines are available at Murphskits. 

If you have an OEM petcock, make sure it's working properly, and check the lower front seam of the
air box for a crack at that seam, you'll want to repair that.  SISF will also give you details on this.

Congrats on the C10!  Once 'up to spec' she's a great bike,
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 09:10:54 pm »
Sugestions Willy?  Looks like it should be cut and replaced with solid stock. But if it isn't broken yet, how would one reinforce?

I don't think you need to cut it of and start over. If it's not broke yet weld the crap out of the tube that the bolt bolt goes through to the bracket. Then weld in a piece of flat stock to box the bracket. That's what I did, the tube was still intact, on the bolt in the fairing stay so I just put it back in place first.

Others have reported the bolt being loose, and having 'sawn' through the tubing. In that case you'll have to replace the tube. You could use a nice solid spacer, weld into the bracket, or weld a nut in, the drill the threads out of the nut, with a drill bit to match the size of your new bolt.

Either way, the bolt should have a shoulder that goes through the tube and fairing stay bracket, and the shoulder should be no longer, so the nut can tighten on the fairing stay, not the shoulder. If the shoulder of the bolt is too long, use a washer.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:20:21 pm by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 02:22:46 am »
My first head stay broke after only 22 years and 141,000 miles (give or take a coupla hunert). But I've seen plenty of em do it.  Mines is solid stock now and welded up big time.  It has survived countless wheelie landings and stayed intact.
I would second replacing hoses. Murph has a kit.  It's the best and cheapest route to take (oh there's the NAPA hose idea, but it won't last long or at least never did for me in a half dozen tries).

Check your steering stem bearings. Think about wheel bearings next tire change.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie