Author Topic: 03 ZG1000 Concours  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Pete K

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
03 ZG1000 Concours
« on: March 01, 2019, 09:21:09 pm »
Found a 03 ZG1000 Concours. Low miles clean looking bike. Has only 17,010 miles on it. Southern bike so no rust on it. Have not seen it in person yet.
Is there a list somewhere on what to look for on these bikes? Know its a low mile bike. But also know this can be an issue also.

Tires are a year old. Carbs ultrasonic cleaned and rebuilt. All bags with it also, and owned by a professor. That rode it 2.7 miles per day when not raining. :-\
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 09:58:17 pm by Pete K »

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
Re: 03 ZG1000 Concours
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 09:26:12 pm »
where are the rest of the fairings?

Offline Pete K

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 09:53:19 pm »
He had replaced hoses to the Radiator, along with oil change. And was not putting them back on, until he made sure there was no Leaks on the hoses. Or that's what his story is. Also hes asking $2500. Hes almost 3 hours from me. But has offered to meet me half way to show the bike.

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 10:04:29 pm »
Even if the bike is perfect.  These days, that is ALL the money.  Good luck.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline Pete K

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 10:07:51 pm »
Thanks I was thinking that was about it also. I was thinking $1750.oo.

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 10:10:51 pm »
Not exactly a check list but a summary of typical repair items. Basically if these are the problems and solutions you can turn it into a check list for what to look for. Just add fuel tank rust and signs of drop to round things out.
$2500 is probably near top of the range.

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 11:10:00 pm »
nice looking bike. low miles but low miles can come with its own issues. I think the price is high though. Should be 1800 max.

ask him if the overflow tubes have be installed and check for possible previous hydrolock if he will allow.

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 11:44:08 pm »
I wouldn't pay $2500 unless he allowed a hydrolock test and a clean bill of health on everything.  That means service records and 0 problems.  No cracks or scratches in bodywork.  Make sure the water pump isn't leaking oil from the weep hole on the bottom.  Pumps are a couple of hundred bucks.  Steering head bearings are something to look at as well.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 11:59:04 pm »
I can't speak to the price, but you have no reason to doubt this person's veracity and character.  He is obviously a fine upstanding example of the great American motorcycle owner, who believes in having only the finest, most versatile, best-in-class, without-peer bikes, as demonstrated by not only the premier Connie model year (2003 !!!!  YES!!) and the Bumble-Wee  in the background.   :great:  :beerchug:

Why do so many Wee-Strom owners also own Connies????????????
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 12:25:30 am »
at 17k miles, waterpump, and steering head bearings wouldn't even enter my mind.
If all the plastic is in place, and pristine, and it starts and runs nicely.. $2k would be a fair offer, and $2300, would not be "out of line", stored with a full fuel tank tho..
aide from that, it seems a nice bike, from the pictures, and is the most common of machines noted for longevity, and economic happiness, for a 100-200k miles out there...
If it make you happy, buy it...  :great: :great:
If it need a jump start, or runs poorly on cold start.. drop the price a bit.. but be aware, the bike unless hydrolocked, is likely fine... just need attention...

frankly at 17k, the bike is barely broken in, by Conni standards  :great: :great: :motonoises: :motonoises:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 12:39:59 am »
I guess I need some edumacation.  Low miles is great.  16 years of riding it to work 3 miles makes no difference?  Of all the reading I have done, it has always been a big deal to ride it considerably farther than 3 miles to burn off excess moisture etc.  This doesn't matter?  So if I take old Suzi out for a 3 mile ride to keep it limbered up that's fine?  Because of what I have read here and elsewhere, I don't fire up anything for just 3 miles.  Help me understand Rich.  You know me well enough to know that I'm sincere in my question.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline bajasam

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 02:49:29 am »
I'm with Bud, 3 miles the engine would still be cool to the touch. Now if he took it out every Sat. for a 1 hr. cruise at highway speed it would be fine.

Offline donaldj

• Proud Vet!
  • Mini Bike
  • Blessed!
  • COG#: 4879
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 03:18:26 am »
at 17k miles, waterpump, and steering head bearings wouldn't even enter my mind.
If all the plastic is in place, and pristine, and it starts and runs nicely.. $2k would be a fair offer, and $2300, would not be "out of line", stored with a full fuel tank tho..
aide from that, it seems a nice bike, from the pictures, and is the most common of machines noted for longevity, and economic happiness, for a 100-200k miles out there...
If it make you happy, buy it...  :great: :great:
If it need a jump start, or runs poorly on cold start.. drop the price a bit.. but be aware, the bike unless hydrolocked, is likely fine... just need attention...

frankly at 17k, the bike is barely broken in, by Conni standards  :great: :great: :motonoises: :motonoises:
What MOB said.
Vintage43

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 11:32:41 am »
Didn't think of this until this morning, but at 22,000 miles on my GL650 project, my steering head bearings needed to be replaced.  I understand it's not a C10.  Maybe the Honda bearings and races aren't as robust as the C10.  Even if they are good, I bet they could stand a good cleaning and some grease.  I guess my big point is that unless this guy is really anal about preventative maintainence,  I bet there is some work to be done.  If I'm paying $2500, there shouldn't be anything to do but ride it.  As soon as he buys it, someone is gonna start talking about overflow tubes etc.  So he spends $2500 and then starts spending more money.  I'm probably in the camp of $1700.  Remember what the 99, with a huge list of farkles that included expensive ones like the 7th gear mod and cruise control, brought at sale?  Why is this one worth more than the heavily farkled 99?
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline Pete K

• Tricycle
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 01:18:36 pm »
Thanks guys, I will go and look the bike over. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 06:39:13 pm by Pete K »

Offline david

• Tricycle
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2019, 01:45:45 pm »
Pete    I just bought a project connie for 300 bucks but to be honest by the time IM finished ill have 1200.00 in it and its got 73000 miles so by that standard even 2000.00 seems like a very fair price,  the one thing I have  learned is 90% of the time your going to have more invested than they are worth, so just enjoy it     

Offline Bumblebee

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12745
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2019, 02:02:59 pm »
Hi Pete!  Just one thing.  I don't know how the odometer is set up in the US of A.  But here in Canada, the odometer only registers 99,999 km before resetting to zero.  So, you 17,000 mile bike might actually have run 117,000 miles.  Perhaps someone might clarify that point. 
Good luck. 

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 02:52:32 pm »
Looking at the guys bikes, home etc, and willingness to come part way, I suspect he's a good egg.
Also think the 17k is correct miles.

One question I would ask him; has it ever had carb flooding or hydrolock.

Ride safe, Ted

NOTE: I have a 2003 and kept it {even after buying a C-14}.
           Love the bike. Fastest color...  :motonoises:
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline cal

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2019, 04:11:09 pm »
Looking at the guys bikes, home etc, and willingness to come part way, I suspect he's a good egg.
Also think the 17k is correct miles.

One question I would ask him; has it ever had carb flooding or hydrolock.

Ride safe, Ted

NOTE: I have a 2003 and kept it {even after buying a C-14}.
           Love the bike. Fastest color...  :motonoises:

Agreed. Probably a straight up guy. Hope it works out for you.

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2019, 05:40:36 pm »
These are almost bulletproof bikes and like most japanese bikes will last many decades if taken care of. My 2001 C10, when I bought it a few years ago had less than half the miles as yours-- a truly like-new bike. But there were some issues with it-- my carbs were a little clogged, a fan blade was melted, little leak on one fork. A few thousand miles later my water pump broke. My engine gasket was dry rotted and valves never adjusted (because it only had <6K miles!!). Original tires from Japan from 2001! But other than that it was in great shape.

I love garage queens and will buy them over a high mileage and even a well cared for high mileage bike any day. Just make sure there is no or little rust, leaks, dry rotted rubber, no frame or fairing cracks, and in this bike's case do a hydrolock test if he will allow it. Check mileage history.

Price is subjective but a bike needing lots of work isn't always worth the low price and just because a bike has low miles doesn't mean it deserves a high price. These bikes were dirt cheap when brand new. So after 16 years he cannot expect too much. And remember the C14s have now flooded the market and are worth nothing anymore! It's a buyers market so don't pay much. I often see morons trying to sell these bikes for the price of a C14.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 05:45:45 pm by DC Concours »

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2019, 06:01:52 pm »
Price is subjective but a bike needing lots of work isn't always worth the low price and just because a bike has low miles doesn't mean it deserves a high price. These bikes were dirt cheap when brand new. So after 16 years he cannot expect too much. And remember the C14s have now flooded the market and are worth nothing anymore! It's a buyers market so don't pay much. I often see morons trying to sell these bikes for the price of a C14.
:iagree:
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline Pete K

• Tricycle
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2019, 06:45:46 pm »
I'm sure he is telling the truth. But we always know, when you look over something.  Then you know for sure.
Have a Question, If a bike did have a hydrolock. Would it be able to run great? As in still idle perfect? Run up to say 120 MPH, after that happening? My thinking is not? But have been wrong before.

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2019, 07:03:53 pm »
Yes. Depending on how much bend you got, it can do all or most of that. I'm sure there are many old c10s with slight bends running unbeknownst to their owners.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2019, 07:45:30 pm »
I guess I need some edumacation.  Low miles is great.  16 years of riding it to work 3 miles makes no difference?  Of all the reading I have done, it has always been a big deal to ride it considerably farther than 3 miles to burn off excess moisture etc.  This doesn't matter?  So if I take old Suzi out for a 3 mile ride to keep it limbered up that's fine?  Because of what I have read here and elsewhere, I don't fire up anything for just 3 miles.  Help me understand Rich.  You know me well enough to know that I'm sincere in my question.

I hear what you are saying, I'll let the o/p decide when he sees it, as it is really all subjective to the buyer, and we are not there to "corral" the seller...and grill him..  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I look at the statement "college professor, only rides 2.7 miles to work, when it in't raining.." in the ame way we all hear "owned by on old grandma, and only driven to church on Sunny Sunday's..."
all the same... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I never aid "pay $2500" for it... I did say $2k would be fair, if it's truley nice, or less if there are questions... it's wide open...
If he in all honesty, did only ride it like he noted, it would only be 11,700 miles..even less... it pent a lot of time in the nice garage I'm sure, and I'm the first one to caution about "sitting bikes"... I've looked at Conni's for friends many times, and seen many 10k bikes that were thrashed, and also 70k bikes that looked showroom..and they were all the same prices..  a for "heat cycling", I can say you wouldn't want to stick your hand on any bike engine I ride for 3 miles...  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises:

Didn't think of this until this morning, but at 22,000 miles on my GL650 project, my steering head bearings needed to be replaced.  I understand it's not a C10.  Maybe the Honda bearings and races aren't as robust as the C10.  Even if they are good, I bet they could stand a good cleaning and some grease.  I guess my big point is that unless this guy is really anal about preventative maintainence,  I bet there is some work to be done.  If I'm paying $2500, there shouldn't be anything to do but ride it.  As soon as he buys it, someone is gonna start talking about overflow tubes etc.  So he spends $2500 and then starts spending more money.  I'm probably in the camp of $1700.  Remember what the 99, with a huge list of farkles that included expensive ones like the 7th gear mod and cruise control, brought at sale?  Why is this one worth more than the heavily farkled 99?

well, it is in an "unmodified state" for one thing, meaning some person was happy with it as it was, and didn't "install a bazillion" devices, which may or may not have been done correctly.. as we see here all the time with people asking "why do my lights stay on, why is my battery dying, why does my bike not start, what's leaking from xxx area, why does it make this ggggvvvt-clik/whrrrr sound"; and it is 4 years newer than a '99... and again, all subjective with regard to the seller, and buyer's desire, and prices... all in all, farkles are just "spent money", a many don't mean anything to a buyer...and many are just headaches they don't want or specifically need, to suit their ergonomics...

I bought my first Conni; an '86, from a well trusted COG member, on the advice of another HIGHLY trusted COG member.. it had high miles, no real modifications, and relatively good maintenance.. for $1450...back in '03.
It became apparent it was at a point where some "servicing", on my part, was in order, and I had no issues with doing that, and making the bike "my own, and trusted"...
I old that bike with 138k+ miles on it, in late '08-early'09 for exactly what I paid for it...$1450...guilt free, every "penny" I put into it (prolly close to $2500, multiple tire sets, upgraded brakes, lights, replacement OEM parts that wore out, etc.,) simply made sense to be considered a "wash", with regard to ownership, and enjoyment and to insure the next "owner" would have no issues.. Unfortunately they DID have issues, uncontrollable on my part, with their "personal life choices", and rendered the fine bike to "end it's life, sitting unridden and exposed to the elements for almost 8 years"...

sorry, I digress, It just blistered my buns knowing a pushmower, and boxes of outdoor christmas lights had a higher priority "place" in his storage shed, than this pristine bike I trustingly sold.

so, I should have charged him $2k, maybe he would have taken better care of it... but I doubt that.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2019, 09:04:30 pm »
I old that bike with 138k+ miles on it, in late '08-early'09 for exactly what I paid for it...$1450...guilt free, every "penny" I put into it (prolly close to $2500, multiple tire sets, upgraded brakes, lights, replacement OEM parts that wore out, etc.,) simply made sense to be considered a "wash", with regard to ownership, and enjoyment and to insure the next "owner" would have no issues.. Unfortunately they DID have issues, uncontrollable on my part, with their "personal life choices", and rendered the fine bike to "end it's life, sitting unridden and exposed to the elements for almost 8 years"...

sorry, I digress, It just blistered my buns knowing a pushmower, and boxes of outdoor christmas lights had a higher priority "place" in his storage shed, than this pristine bike I trustingly sold.

so, I should have charged him $2k, maybe he would have taken better care of it... but I doubt that.
I can't remember when, but didn't that guy show up on the forum?  Seems like I remember you being a tad hurt about what had become of your bike.  Outside under a tarp I think it was.  Unloved because he got all tore up over a divorce?  Am I remembering correctly?  I'm sure I'd feel the same way.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK