Author Topic: Power loss on hills (or below 4k RPM?)  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Merlin

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Power loss on hills (or below 4k RPM?)
« on: June 27, 2011, 06:07:37 pm »
So my '92 Connie that has sat for a .... long time.... has a new fuel tap and filter, carbs haven't been cleaned tho... She runs fine on level roads but when I'm on the highway if I am not above 65 or above 4200 RPM by the time I go half a mile uphill I'm struggling to keep 40mph (downshifting and such).

It seems that if I use the choke it actually helps, could there be something wrong in the airbox? or carb issue? I'm probably going to just send the carbs off to Shoodaben soon anyways for the package deal, just trying to see if I can do a San Diego to Vegas and back before I do that..

Acceleration is sluggish at all times, it seems if I just dump the throttle she bogs down but if I nurse her up to speed she is stable..
New plugs a couple hundred miles ago...
--
Joseph Peterson
K6JPE
AMA 1088187
COG 751018
CDA 0354

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Power loss on hills (or below 4k RPM?)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 06:46:54 pm »
Sounds like Carbbies to me. The thing with riding like it is, you may wind up getting a hydrolock. Does your fuel valve work correctly? Pull the fuel line with the valve in reserve, then on. You should get no fuel flow with the engine off. If you do, I would not  start it, ESPECIALLY if you see or smell gas.

Get those carbbies on their way to get SiSFied, you should have 'em back right quick.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 07:53:52 pm »
What is your air filter like?  Clean and not over oiled I hope.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Merlin

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 09:18:03 pm »
Sounds like Carbbies to me. The thing with riding like it is, you may wind up getting a hydrolock. Does your fuel valve work correctly? Pull the fuel line with the valve in reserve, then on. You should get no fuel flow with the engine off. If you do, I would not  start it, ESPECIALLY if you see or smell gas.

Get those carbbies on their way to get SiSFied, you should have 'em back right quick.

Brand new fuel tap (I.e. Factory sealed box) if it leaks I'll be amazed..
Will check air filter next time I'm by te bike and carb will be in transit this week..
--
Joseph Peterson
K6JPE
AMA 1088187
COG 751018
CDA 0354

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 09:43:40 pm »
Brand new is good but you should always test new parts anyway. It is as easy as pulling off the fuel line and see if it drips with the motor off. Then start the motor and make sure it flows well.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 10:36:17 pm »
  Sounds like dirty carbs to me. Fuel starvation. Enrichner on gets more fuel to the cyls. If you were too rich the enrichner wouldn't help and probably make it worse. I say you could try some Seafoam. Use the old gas in your lawnmower and put fresh gas in the tank along with some drygas. If none of this works you will probably have to clean the carbs.
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline oldsawfiler

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 8062
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 12:11:56 am »
kinked or pinched fuel line.  Had an old Studebaker silver hawk that had a pinched steel fuel line.  It ran great except for long hills with my foot in it.  Rebuilt carb, same problem.  Noticed the pinched line and replaced it.  All the difference in the world.
Well...even if you fall on your face you're still moving forward.

COG # 8062  AMA # 1084053  ROMA

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 12:44:08 pm »
kinked or pinched fuel line.  Had an old Studebaker silver hawk that had a pinched steel fuel line.  It ran great except for long hills with my foot in it.  Rebuilt carb, same problem.  Noticed the pinched line and replaced it.  All the difference in the world.

Same thought here. May be restricted fuel flow.

If you have a fuel filter it may be incorrect size or dirty, or a fuel hose that is partially closed from the hose being bent to abruptly.

Inspect the hoses carefully "on" the bike. Look for crimps etc. Then remove the hose from the carbs, turn the petcock to prime and see what the fuel flow looks like thru the system. Hooking a line to the vacuum port of the petcock and sucking on it should open the petcock in normal position.

When I bought my Connie the petcock itself was defective. Would not allow gas to flow on reserve. You might have a defective petcock.

Ride safe, Ted

14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 06:28:09 pm »
So that you don't pull your hair out, sometimes a fuel line can become kinked or partially kinked ONLY when its hot.  Inspections in the garge may not reveal the kink causing you to dismiss it as a potential issue, move on to something else that could be the problem, and still have the recurring problem.

DAMHIKIJK
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline 2linby

• Iron Butt
  • I rode today, did you?
  • COG#: 5539
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 06:46:20 pm »

If the line is kinked symtoms of fuel starvation may not occur until gas tank head pressure reaches a low level sufficient to manefest the problem. If you don't have an issue until your tank is partially emply then almost for certain it is a restricted fuel line. Either the line itself or a clogged in-line filter. If this is the case remove the fuel line and install a new one without the in-line filter to maximize fuel pressure at all levels. If this does not fix the issue then you definitely have carburation issues.

On flat ground acceleration is fine? But pulling hills it is not? Even dropping a gear?
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by" "Everything is simple, but nothing is easy".
Ex NWAD, AAD, COG #5539, IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor, Mentor 2001 Sonic Blue  166K and counting!
http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BBG)
http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip

Offline oldsawfiler

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 8062
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 08:05:13 pm »
I had the hot starvation issue on mine for a while.  It would only show up after it had set all day at work in the hot sun and half tank of gas.  It would start fine,but about after a few hundred feet it would die.  Let it set and gas would seep past the kink and fill the bowls and it would start and run a little ways and die.  Thought it was vapor locking.  This happened when the weather changed after installing an in-line filter.  I shortend the line a little (took the kink out) and all was fine and dandy.
Well...even if you fall on your face you're still moving forward.

COG # 8062  AMA # 1084053  ROMA