Author Topic: C-10 engine needs to be replaced  (Read 3131 times)

Offline Hood

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9636
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: C-10 engine needs to be replaced
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 02:09:54 pm »
The oddly funny thing about this whole experience is that I first became aware of COG three years ago right after I bought my C-10. The idea of joining has been rolling around in the back of my mind ever since, but committment can be difficult.  I also think there is something to the loneliness of riding. It’s a very singular experience most of the time, and I’ve always been okay with that. So, I kept putting it off and putting it off. I recently “liked” the C-10 Facebook page and immediately saw people talking about COG. So, I finally cracked open my wallet and registered on the COG website a couple weeks ago. That’s the day my C-10’s engine developed this problem. Is it Karma? Is this some cosmic payback? It would be easy for me to go down that angry road.

However, you guys have been so helpful, so full of advice, so full of experience. You’ve turned what could be an awful experience into something that I’m sure I’ll learn from and maybe even one day laugh about, hopefully with a beer in my hand at a table with some of you. However this turns out, I’m glad that I’ve virtually met you guys. I look forward to meeting you in person.

HOOD

Offline ProudGecko

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9062
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 04:01:28 pm »
I finally cracked open my wallet and registered on the COG website a couple weeks ago. That’s the day my C-10’s engine developed this problem. Is it Karma? Is this some cosmic payback?

Perhaps it was Karma but the positive type. Perhaps the fact that you joined the day the problem occurred was life/God/nature's way of helping you deal with the bound to occur problem.

That's me, always the optimist  ;D
David S    COG# 9062  CDA# 0316b  1986 Kawasaki Concours  1973 Honda CB500

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 2293
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 04:31:40 pm »
A team of good wrenches could do an engine swap in a couple of hours.

Having done the job several times, I can say with complete conviction that a team including Rev Rider, Colin, Dan Bergmen and myself would still need an entire day AT LEAST to do this swap correctly.

I don't know, Steve...  having once done a body off to body on valve adjust in the gravel parking lot of the Sportsman Lodge in Enis, Mt, that required adjusting every single valve, not just checking them, in an hour and ten minutes and then being beaten with a time of 56 minutes! by a certain web master who shall not be named, I think a team could pull off an engine swap in a day. It just couldn't be the team of anal retentive guys you propose who would be polishing or powder coating every part before reinstalling.   :rotflmao:

Don't get me wrong - I admire the work you guys do, it's just that some of us just want to get the job done and worry about the aesthetics later.   ;D

Cheers
Jim P.
All God's male children tend to be low-life, sleaze-ball, early apexers - Terry Earwood, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School.

Offline Brooke_Benfield_OR

• Moped
  • COG#: 2185
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 08:37:11 pm »
I can vouch for Jim's claim of 1hr. 10 min because I was there helping....well, sort of contributing....OK, I mostly got in the way.  :))

I've sure never seen a valve adjust get done so quick because I'm usually the one doing them.  ;D
Brooke Benfield  2013 FJR1300  COG #2185

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 2293
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 03:12:35 am »
I can vouch for Jim's claim of 1hr. 10 min because I was there helping....well, sort of contributing....OK, I mostly got in the way.  :))

I've sure never seen a valve adjust get done so quick because I'm usually the one doing them.  ;D

Yeah, and I could have gotten it under an hour if I didn't have to deal with a bunch of mismatched fasteners when putting the bodywork back on, and if I had my usual tools and not be limited to the toolkit under the saddle.   :D

Remember "Tubesox?"    ;D
All God's male children tend to be low-life, sleaze-ball, early apexers - Terry Earwood, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School.

Offline Colin

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'd rather be riding!
    • Facebook
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2011, 03:19:22 am »
It just couldn't be the team of anal retentive guys you propose who would be polishing or powder coating every part before reinstalling.   :rotflmao:

I resent erm resemble that remark  :))

Perhaps we should have a speed wrenching session at the National.

My guess is that if we had, me, Steve, Dan and Rev, we could do a complete swap in about umm 4 hours including the plastic.
That's as long as we did not start drinking half way through, Rev started playing his gee-tar or keyboard or the COG Union Wrenching Reps stopped us as our Union Cards had expired!  ;)

However we would need a bigger garage than mine! LoL

I have Hood's scoot in my garage now, and will do my best to get it back on the road and in full running order, but not until my kids have gone back to the UK  & Denmark at the end of the summer ,and the Kayak & ZGRX are finished.  ;D
Selling my ZGRX - C10 with a ZRX1200 Engine - Details Here
Colin Prior

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2011, 11:03:00 am »
I can't believe it would take more than a day, for someone who has done it a few times, with a competent helper.

Now get four experts together... that's a different story!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics