Author Topic: 1991 C10 speed test  (Read 524 times)

DangerousDan and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online DangerousDan

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
1991 C10 speed test
« on: October 22, 2018, 04:27:23 am »
hello everyone.  Curious if anyone pushing their old c10 past 120 gets the sensation that the faring begins blowing you around?  At 125 mph I had to let up, but it seemed to still be accelerating  with good pull.   It was anything but smooth above 120, infact it was downright scary and I had to flex all my muscles instinctively to limit the buffeting I was experiencing.  I know it could have gone faster had the old windshield not seemed ready to break.  I have brand new tires and my "new to me" C10 " runs amazingly otherwise.

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
Re: 1991 C10 speed test
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 09:53:33 am »

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 12:49:26 pm »
  Here is some videos and info you should read.

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=19722

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W6k3pTdAXw&feature=plcp

And make damn sure you have or get carb overflow tubes. Read about hydrolock and how it can wreak you engine.

And welcome to the forum. The C10 is a great bike. Have had mine for 24 yrs and it still runs great. But I have done a lot of upgrades that make it a GREAT bike!! :) :)

Welcome to the forum and sounds like you have a great C10. :great:  Enjoy!!!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 12:52:46 pm by Mettler1 »
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 10:47:55 pm »

And make damn sure you have or get carb overflow tubes. Read about hydrolock and how it can wreak you engine.

Sure, it is a concern but honestly the OP didn't ask anything related to HL or fuel.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 12:06:18 am »

Sure, it is a concern but honestly the OP didn't ask anything related to HL or fuel.

You are right!! Just hate to see a great running C10 ruined by a hydrolock episode. :'(
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 12:16:52 am »
hello everyone.  Curious if anyone pushing their old c10 past 120 gets the sensation that the faring begins blowing you around?  At 125 mph I had to let up, but it seemed to still be accelerating  with good pull.   It was anything but smooth above 120, infact it was downright scary and I had to flex all my muscles instinctively to limit the buffeting I was experiencing.  I know it could have gone faster had the old windshield not seemed ready to break.  I have brand new tires and my "new to me" C10 " runs amazingly otherwise.

Where in the Northwest are you Dan? I have had mine up around 115 or so but I have a 19" Clearview because I am short and it was a lot of wind noise but fairly smooth. I don't stay at that speed very long, I'm not 21 anymore. :'( :)
1994 Kawasaki ZG1000A-The Long Rider
1984 Honda VF700S Sabre-The Bike
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S The Hooligan Bike

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 06:06:42 pm »
The soft front suspension is the root cause of Concours buffeting antics, especially at high speed imho. Many options to upgrade cheaply.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 12:42:00 am »
The soft front suspension is the root cause of Concours buffeting antics, especially at high speed imho. Many options to upgrade cheaply.

This.

When I got mine it would get pushed around passing semi’s. Then read here about shortening the fork springs and putting in the pvc tubes, changing fork oil. Ever since much more stable with buffeting.

I’ve had it to about 120 and pretty stable (though never stayed there...I’m too old for that). 80/90 it’s very stable now.

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 09:36:27 am »

This.

When I got mine it would get pushed around passing semi’s. Then read here about shortening the fork springs and putting in the pvc tubes, changing fork oil. Ever since much more stable with buffeting.

I’ve had it to about 120 and pretty stable (though never stayed there...I’m too old for that). 80/90 it’s very stable now.
How much did you shorten your springs?  How long were the spacers?  Ted cut 4 inches and thinks that was possibly too much.

Offline batboy

• Training Wheels
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 01:24:13 pm »
The first time I took a sprint to triple digits, I too backed off immediately from all the buffeting and harsh ride. I went with 1.0 Race Tech fork springs and 15w fork oil. Vast improvement. If you want to cut the stock springs, then however much you remove is how long the spacer should be (in other words, you need to be at the same length as the original stock spring, cut 2 inches, spacer needs to be 2 inches long). I've not done this, but I think Ted is suggesting try a small amount first and see how it works. If you need more, then cut a little more. If you cut too much the first time, then of course you can't go back.

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 02:03:37 pm »
My 2000 was very 'wandery' when I first got it, even at normal freeway speeds if following a semi truck as much as a half mile ahead of me.

A combination of fresh fork oil, different tires (no center groove) and turning in the OEM fork adjusters was all I've needed.  I don't run mine at triple digits often (but when I do . . . . . )

I've had mine up to 115 with a huge windshield and it was very stable.  I backed off when sudden visions of a police cruiser aiming a radar gun at me came to mind.

I'm not recommending 120 mph runs as it may cause nausea, vomiting, sudden bowel movements and the inability to control them . . . . but a free thing to try is firming up the front suspension with what you already have available.  While this may or may not be your end result, it could point you in the right direction and worth every penny to try.  :)

On the 94+ there are adjustment screws on top of each fork.  I can tell differences from adjusting those to firmer (screwed in) settings.

Since yours is a '91 this would be done with the air pressure (within OEM recommendations).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 02:09:41 pm by Stasch »
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline batboy

• Training Wheels
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 03:05:37 pm »
If you do use PVC pipe as spacers, then get the thick wall stuff (3/4" diameter schedule 80). Also, let's say you cut 2" off the stock spring and after testing you decide to cut another 2" off the spring, because it wasn't stiff enough for you yet, it's better to make a single spacer for each fork tube (i.e. don't use two 2" spacers, make a single 4" spacer).

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 03:14:55 pm »
fyi; On my 03' I did cut 4" {of the tightly wound coils} from a set of Progressive (brand) Fork Springs. (Not the stock springs)
      I installed a 4" spacer in the forks and did not screw the pre-load adjusters down..
      This worked fine for my nephew {250*}, but is a bit too stiff for me {210*}.

My intention is to shorten my spacers to 3 1/2", use no preload for me, and add 1/2" preload adjustment for my nephew.
ie; With 4" spacers and no preload, my spring sag {with me on the bike} is set at 35mm. {which is pretty stiff for the road}…
     With the shorter spacers, I can use "preload" adjustments to adjust the sag to anywhere I want it..
Before doing this, I'm thinking about adding Fork Emulators.
                                               :threadjack:

On my 86', I once reached 130 {indicated}.
On my 03', I was only able to get to about 125 {indicated}..
  Both tests had stock shield, trunk, and side bags..
  Didn't notice any major wobbles...
I'm now older/wiser; On my 14', I never {err} rarely exceed the speed limit...  ::)
                               I kept the 03' for others to ride, and for tinkering...  :great:

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 01:29:06 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2018, 02:30:47 am »
Bud, it’s been a while, what I recall is I did the minimum cut thinking I could do the longer cut later. There’s a post about the process (if anyone can find it?) that I followed in about 2012.

I wish I’d cut more out - it’s still a little “divey” and soft for my weight (I’m 185). It’s especially soft under braking with 2 up. But that’s just my opinion for how I like things. I lean toward a little more firm, because, well, it’s not a car, it’ll never be that comfortable, so I may as well get some handling. And preventing dive for 2 up is a comfort factor.

Online DangerousDan

• Big Wheels
« Reply #14 on: Today at 03:51:26 am »
Can't tell you how much I love this.  Smooth air!

https://madstad.com/collections/kawasaki/products/kawasaki-concours-1000-1986-up

Wow,, that will be my tax return present to self this year, ,thanx man, perfect !

Online DangerousDan

• Big Wheels
« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:15:16 am »

You are right!! Just hate to see a great running C10 ruined by a hydrolock episode. :'(

I installed a manual shut off at the tank, and I never forget.  In fact, I'm obsessed with turning the fuel on and off ;) now, thanx for the heads up to all new c10 owners,, what a nightmare that would be to me.

Online DangerousDan

• Big Wheels
« Reply #16 on: Today at 04:21:42 am »

Where in the Northwest are you Dan? I have had mine up around 115 or so but I have a 19" Clearview because I am short and it was a lot of wind noise but fairly smooth. I don't stay at that speed very long, I'm not 21 anymore. :'( :)

Im in Cave Junction Oregon, right on the California Oregon border, 40 minutes from the ocean (awesome ride through the redwoods) , near Crescent City.  I'm beginning to look for some local people who do anual tours, I've never done one,, and my kids are old enough to enjoy my being gone for a few days now ;).

Online DangerousDan

• Big Wheels
« Reply #17 on: Today at 04:57:53 am »
Ok,, for the record, I learned that previous owner went with the dunlop 120 front tire, which is not intended for that rim (2.5"),, should be a 110, and it slightly deforms into an egg shape instead of being round as it should be (gets taller and narrower than it should be).  Plus the center groove in the tire, riding on a very narrow egg like edge explains a lot.  My wind screen is cracked badly now (LOL spider webbed)  around the mounting screws, specially the outer most two.  A couple screws were missing in the full faring, and I'll check the air shocks for equality tomorrow morning.  I don't find any problem with diving from braking  though, I find them quite resistant in fact, suspecting the previous owner has done some modding besides the cruiser pegs, and seat. 
  Also, to be clear, my c10 rides very smoothly at 100 or 110 mph, I can ride with no hands.   Its only at extreme speeds,, coming out of fourth gear at about 10 or 11 grand, hitting fifth, it is still pulling very hard, but the wind buffeting between 125 or 130 scares me to backing off, long before the old girl is done accelerating through fifth gear.   Oh,, and Im on the short straights and curving Redwood highway doing my speed tests, so not much time to watch the speedo, which is bouncing all over above 120, which seems to be the upper limit of 4th gear, 115 ish or so.  I already replaced missing screws and rubber washers, hopefully that helps to.