Author Topic: 1991 C10 speed test  (Read 2812 times)

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
  • Every day starts as a 10 when I wake up breathing
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: 1991 C10 speed test
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2018, 01:17:27 am »
Also, to be clear, my c10 rides very smoothly at 100 or 110 mph, I can ride with no hands.   Its only at extreme speeds,, coming out

of fourth gear at about 10 or 11 grand, hitting fifth, it is still pulling very hard, but the wind buffeting between 125 or 130 scares me to backing off, long before the old girl is done accelerating through fifth gear.   

uhhh... no. The engine isn't even close to accelerating between 10 and 11 grand. Even with zx cams it isn't.

I don't understand your meaning here Steve.  You mean Crysis (my connie) is NOT pulling above 10  grand?  Or you have seen them pull much higher into the RPMS?  I find Crysis begins losing pull at about 11k,, can go more,, but I never do, and 10 or 11 grand is only for a moment or two, never extends more than a few seconds.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 01:23:12 am by DangerousDan »
So this is a life?  Lets have some fun!
1992 c10 74k miles,  black w/ red stripe
carbon fiber slip ons, rifle wind screen
custom Corbin seat (flip down passenger back rest)
cruise control, maybe more, still researching

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2018, 10:28:38 pm »
Im starting to think my speed gauge is giving me  slow readings,, not exaggerated ones.  You'd think that because someone put a 120 tire on a 2.5 " rim, deforming it to a taller profile  (egg shape) the speedo reads too slow.  Which would mean, I was doing 130 in fifth gear, not 125 ish.  Previously I had never been beyond 129 on a CB 750 ( I was not ditching a nice officer who flipping a U to give chase) because the bike couldn't go any faster . But the sensation was more terrifying than Crysis  by magnitudes.   Ill need to gps it (however you do that),  but I suspect im going faster than I think  at very high rpm in fifth gear, after topping 4 well above 10 grand.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2018, 10:53:33 pm »
Also, to be clear, my c10 rides very smoothly at 100 or 110 mph, I can ride with no hands.   Its only at extreme speeds,, coming out

of fourth gear at about 10 or 11 grand, hitting fifth, it is still pulling very hard, but the wind buffeting between 125 or 130 scares me to backing off, long before the old girl is done accelerating through fifth gear.   

uhhh... no. The engine isn't even close to accelerating between 10 and 11 grand. Even with zx cams it isn't.

I don't understand your meaning here Steve.  You mean Crysis (my connie) is NOT pulling above 10  grand?  Or you have seen them pull much higher into the RPMS?  I find Crysis begins losing pull at about 11k,, can go more,, but I never do, and 10 or 11 grand is only for a moment or two, never extends more than a few seconds.

what Steve is saying, and as you are making some claims here to many people that have owned, and flogged these bikes for all they have in them, is NO, you are not making h/p, at that rpm range, nor is it pulling harder, or even able to.

look at his dyno figures...
attached at bottom...

and he never goes into the 10k range or above, because doing so produces nothing except placing the engine at a point where eminent failure if repeatedly continued, will occur..  there is a drop off in both H/p, and also torque (moreso) at roughly 9k, and further flogging ain't the answer.
TORQUE severely drops off after 6500 rpm, and h.p. can't climb anymore above 8000 rpm...
without either of those, well, it's just loud exhaust noise butt dyno.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 11:09:00 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2018, 07:01:51 am »
After tonight, flying around in three digit  range I completely agree with that dia:   What I'm doing is power shifting, the rpm flys up as I shift, then drops upon clutch settling , which gives a nice little pull , rather than losing pull while shifting.  The tack hit 10 and 11 grand in every gear I shifted through, but never on the one I let up on.   Maybe I will blow the old girl up, this is how I push all my motor cycles, if they can't take it , they blow up.   Which is rare, I don't keep in a gear that is not pulling me on faster and faster.  Even my CB 750 could get near 130 if I pushed top gear way past power gains.  Crysis has never even got close to top pull in fifth with me on her,, maybe 8 grand,, no higher,, I know she will go higher, cause she does in all the other gears.  My only question is , is the gauge reading right with the Dunlap 120/70 59v sport radial?  Seems  to me,, if I pick the minimum of the speedo bounce at around 130, I'm deceiving myself,, its not 122 or 125, seems  , or feels like 130+ to me, faster than any of the cheap , throw away bikes I have ever pressed   in this fashion.  And the concours gets there pretty quickly from where Im sitting.  Soon Ill hook up with some psycho friends of mine and have them clock me.  A ZX 11 will be my pacer, fast bike,, lousy but meticulous  rider.  I think Crysis is  hitting 130 with ease , mid fifth gear,, we shall see.

Edit for crappy spelling and content.  Not mid fifth, ,but mid  power stroke (7-10 ish IMO).  Like I said,, maybe I'm beating her up, but its my Crysis,, and for 12000 bucks,, im loving pressing her this hard.  Maybe she will fail me , ,dunno,, don't think so  though, engine sounds so good at 9 grand to me, she can do a bit more IMO.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 07:17:29 am by DangerousDan, Reason: buzzed riding and typing »

Online bajasam

• Moped
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2018, 02:02:19 pm »
Wow dan your'e a motorcycle maniac daredevil. i've never even exceded 7k rpm yet, i got to shut her down at about 90 or i'll wet my pants from being scared s**tless. so this power shift you describe, are you shifting while at full throttle w/o letting up at all?

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2018, 01:55:01 am »
last night , mindnightish , and today , noonish I took Crysis out for psyco stomps.   At night I can see the tack much clearer because of the back light,, but at triple didgets night time,, animals scare me.  Still ,, Clearly I saw Crysis pull very nicely to 10, then almost nothing after 10, hit 11 only by power shifting, so I don't lose any speed shifting.  Today I cunducted 2nd and 3rd gear rpm / power tests,, and my Crysis pulls very nicely from 9 to 10 grand,, then nothing.  But from 9.5 to 10 grand I do feel a drop off,, and after 10, its like a govern almost.  There is no power at all.  Bottom line?  I love this 1200 bike.  She is great on the road, and saves me time and money during daily activeties, while giving me cheep thrills up the wazzooo.  Today I was pinged by radar guns twice from behind, there was a 3 car wreck, 2 DOA's and several hospitalized.  Least no deer tried to Allahu -AKBAR!!! me today  :motonoises:, and they say motorcycles are dangerous.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2018, 02:29:13 am »
last night , mindnightish , and today , noonish I took Crysis out for psyco stomps.   At night I can see the tack much clearer because of the back light,, but at triple didgets night time,, animals scare me.  Still ,, Clearly I saw Crysis pull very nicely to 10, then almost nothing after 10, hit 11 only by power shifting, so I don't lose any speed shifting.  Today I cunducted 2nd and 3rd gear rpm / power tests,, and my Crysis pulls very nicely from 9 to 10 grand,, then nothing.  But from 9.5 to 10 grand I do feel a drop off,, and after 10, its like a govern almost.  There is no power at all.  Bottom line?  I love this 1200 bike.  She is great on the road, and saves me time and money during daily activeties, while giving me cheep thrills up the wazzooo.  Today I was pinged by radar guns twice from behind, there was a 3 car wreck, 2 DOA's and several hospitalized.  Least no deer tried to Allahu -AKBAR!!! me today  :motonoises:, and they say motorcycles are dangerous.

have you read, and will you respond, to the myriad of posts you made in the last week, just curious, as it may open the door for others, other than myself, to offer some inputs...
 please, do ride safe, and respect (somewhat) the current laws... no, I ain't your gramma, and yes, I have done in excess of 160mph (GPS verified, and locked in..., on my C14, Over a considerable distance..) on a public road... but nobody can prove it

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2018, 02:54:44 am »
Wow dan your'e a motorcycle maniac daredevil. i've never even exceded 7k rpm yet, i got to shut her down at about 90 or i'll wet my pants from being scared s**tless. so this power shift you describe, are you shifting while at full throttle w/o letting up at all?

I let up a bit,, but not full wrist twist, pull clutch about half and quickly (all in less than a second) shift and dump clutch.  Result is even higher rpm and clutch wining down into the next gear with a noticeable acceleration from the shift. (pulls small wheelies in second too this way)  You don't lose any speed and continuously have engaged linkage during the shifting process.

Just an fyI,, When I go to pass,, or someone calls me out to gun it, I drop enough gears to get 7 grand minimum as a starting point.  A Harley last week tried to show its power on the highway at 60 mph.  He got the jump on me as I followed him.  I went from 6th gear 3 grand to 2nd gear 7 grand in about 2 seconds.  I flew past him as I was hitting third.  He gave up immediatly. My front tire was barely touching the road when I gunned it.   I don't' shift out of a gear on Crysis until well past 9  grand.  This old girls has got some serious high end power.  Today I went out of my way to make sure the diagnostic posted above is accurate with Crysis.  I Have to say, my old 91 pulls way better than the blue line 2000 the diagnostic is showing.  My power drop off is at 10 grand,, not 9.  The reason I see 11 grand on the tack is because I power shift every gear, and when I do, the engine revs up to 11 as I  dump the clutch.
 There is no pull past 10 grand though, only kinetic energy from freewheeling flywheel and engine weight set free the instant I shift and depress the clutch just a bit at 3/4 throttle.  This burst of rpm does indeed accelerate you, if only a bit, its better then slowing to shift if your goal is to race a trick mustang or dust a Harley.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 03:27:10 am by DangerousDan, Reason: clairity »

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2018, 02:58:50 am »

what Steve is saying, and as you are making some claims here to many people that have owned, and flogged these bikes for all they have in them, is NO, you are not making h/p, at that rpm range, nor is it pulling harder, or even able to.

look at his dyno figures...
attached at bottom...

and he never goes into the 10k range or above, because doing so produces nothing except placing the engine at a point where eminent failure if repeatedly continued, will occur..  there is a drop off in both H/p, and also torque (moreso) at roughly 9k, and further flogging ain't the answer.
TORQUE severely drops off after 6500 rpm, and h.p. can't climb anymore above 8000 rpm...
without either of those, well, it's just loud exhaust noise butt dyno.

LOL,, I'd drag race you any day then, if your shifting at 8 grand,, I'll blow you away.  today I specifically tested my methods and watched the tack very closely,, I shift at 10 grand, the engince always hits 11 grand during the (less than a second) time it takes to power shift.  Second nearly always pulls the front tire off the ground using this method.  Fourth gear is between 110 and 118 (I think), leaving any Harley in the dust by the time I'm winding down into 5th after the final power shift.  I have never had the courage to get topped out in 5th yet.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 03:40:20 am by DangerousDan »

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2018, 04:25:56 am »
so dan, what kind of radar detector you using and does it give adequate warning at 100mph. i came within a short hair of passing a highway patrolman doing 95(he was only about 65) but saw him in the corner of my vision on a 3 lane freeway at the last second.would be nice to have had some warning of some type.
just a cheap cobra 14 band, but i have the advantage of home turf in the wilderness out here and know most places police go,, and can hide and still get a ping on you, mostly, its just in-case I'm not paying enough attention .  The thing has alerted me 3 times now in Cave junction, long before I saw him, but I was going slow, as always in town. We don't have a patrol out here, the people of Cave Junction vote down the levies year after year,, so they stop patrolling and the nearest station is 30 miles from my turf.  I don't recommend anyone bank of radar detector,, but they help.

Today I was pinged from behind twice, within a few miles from my home.  Guess they heard me coming.  Had I not had the radar detector,, I probably would have got a ticket.  They were hidden quite slyly.  Not where I'm used to seeing them.  I let off the throttle and avoided going more than 10 over the speed limit in time I guess,, they did not bother with me.  Thats like 6 times in a month my cheap radar detector woke me up.

Online bajasam

• Moped
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2018, 07:50:49 pm »
pretty sure ol'dan meant 1200 dollars, the amount he paid.

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2018, 06:18:07 am »
learning about this legendary bike now,, its amazing I had no idea it existed, even though my best friend back in the day bought the zx11 right when it was introduced.  I put a manual shut off inline after the petcock , just to be safe .  But if my "new to me " c10 had a vapor lock incident in the past would i be able to tell by how it runs?  I mean it runs perfect, so is it safe to assume I have not had an incident?

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2018, 06:25:22 am »
Im starting to think my speed gauge is giving me  slow readings,, not exaggerated ones.  You'd think that because someone put a 120 tire on a 2.5 " rim, deforming it to a taller profile  (egg shape) the speedo reads too slow.  Which would mean, I was doing 130 in fifth gear, not 125 ish.  Previously I had never been beyond 129 on a CB 750 ( I was not ditching a nice officer who flipping a U to give chase) because the bike couldn't go any faster . But the sensation was more terrifying than Crysis  by magnitudes.   Ill need to gps it (however you do that),  but I suspect im going faster than I think  at very high rpm in fifth gear, after topping 4 well above 10 grand.
    OOPS,, WRONG QUOTE,, IGNORE,,  I am not so good at forums it seems

Having had much more open road to ride on recently, I got a good look at my tack while racing along.  Crysis pulls really well until just before 10 grand,, about 9.5.  Pushing it to 10 only for a second and power shifting.  That spikes the tack momentarily to 11 grand.  So assuming all this is true,, and I ride like an idiot, pushing the bike to its limits, is there any chance a bike running this well might have a bent rod from a past carb overflow?  Or would I know it?  Would it sound funny? Or something?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 06:43:32 am by DangerousDan, Reason: wrong quote,, sorry »

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2018, 06:54:07 am »

have you read, and will you respond, to the myriad of posts you made in the last week, just curious, as it may open the door for others, other than myself, to offer some inputs...
 please, do ride safe, and respect (somewhat) the current laws... no, I ain't your gramma, and yes, I have done in excess of 160mph (GPS verified, and locked in..., on my C14, Over a considerable distance..) on a public road... but nobody can prove it

Oh man,, been so high on this bike, did I miss something? I got the pm's,, bought the black plastic re finisher that was recommended.  Located most  the mods on my Crysis using you guys and gals.  I guess I need to watch topics?  After 12 years of custody battles for my kids,, I finally got something for myself and Im like a little kid again,, sorry bout that.  I really do read and appreciate all the knowledge and opinions on these forums.

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2018, 11:05:30 am »
Having had much more open road to ride on recently, I got a good look at my tack while racing along.  Crysis pulls really well until just before 10 grand,, about 9.5.  Pushing it to 10 only for a second and power shifting.  That spikes the tack momentarily to 11 grand.  So assuming all this is true,, and I ride like an idiot, pushing the bike to its limits, is there any chance a bike running this well might have a bent rod from a past carb overflow?  Or would I know it?  Would it sound funny? Or something?
To measure is to know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W6k3pTdAXw&t=1s

But if my "new to me " c10 had a vapor lock incident in the past would i be able to tell by how it runs?  I mean it runs perfect, so is it safe to assume I have not had an incident?
Vapor lock is not the problem.  Hydrolock is the problem.  You're old enough to have heard about assuming.  Nuff said.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Online bajasam

• Moped
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2018, 03:35:21 pm »
if you had a vapor lock Incident you would indeed know of it by how your bike ran, or more to the point by how it Didn't run..

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2018, 10:41:45 pm »
so dan, what kind of radar detector you using and does it give adequate warning at 100mph. i came within a short hair of passing a highway patrolman doing 95(he was only about 65) but saw him in the corner of my vision on a 3 lane freeway at the last second.would be nice to have had some warning of some type.

quick radar update.  Since the hollidays began, the police are out in force, I get pinged a couple times per day now,, and they set themselves up near blind corners, but my radar detector starts going off several seconds before they come into vie at about 60 miles per hour.  Through trees, thick forest , even around mountain cliffs,, hills dirt,,  the detector knows they are there around the corner.  I'd say at least twice now, they were about  a quarter mile away, out of view,  and I was warned long before I figured out where they were or drove by them some 10 seconds later.  Sometimes,, in town specially, I still have not figured out where they are. So yes,, get a radar detector if you have any intention of visiting Oregon above the speed limit.  I'm pretty sure I have avoided a****** cops a couple times already who pull people over for 55 in a 45 (which is nearly everyone)

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2018, 10:50:54 pm »
if you had a vapor lock Incident you would indeed know of it by how your bike ran, or more to the point by how it Didn't run..

Thank you sir, I was hoping to hear that, because honestly, this is the best running bike I have ever owned.  On the road, its simply the perfect combination of power, responsiveness and  cornering aggression to keep my blood pumping.  Hell,, I could fall asleep on it if I put a bag on the tank and set the cruise control, that happened to me once,, I'm lucky to be alive today come to think of it  :-[

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2018, 10:56:43 pm »
So Dan, what kind of radar detector are you using?  Brand?  Model?

Cobra , cheapy. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=cobra+radar+detector  I got the 9 band with the backwards pointing lazer eye detector,, since law here says they have to have a 4 second record , they sometimes try to get you from behind.

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2018, 11:09:23 pm »

Thank you sir, I was hoping to hear that, because honestly, this is the best running bike I have ever owned.  On the road, its simply the perfect combination of power, responsiveness and  cornering aggression to keep my blood pumping.  Hell,, I could fall asleep on it if I put a bag on the tank and set the cruise control, that happened to me once,, I'm lucky to be alive today come to think of it  :-[.

va·por lock
/ˈvāpər läk/
noun
an interruption in the flow of a liquid through a fuel line or other pipe as a result of vaporization of the liquid.

I can't figure out if you're not comprehending or just not listening.  You wanted to know if your bike had possibly been hydrolocked.  Then you respond to someone talking about vapor lock (which is totally different and won't bend a rod) and said that you were hoping to hear that the vapor lock didn't happen and didn't damage a connecting rod.  Help a guy out here and show us that you understand this hydrolock issue.  Hydrolock occurs when your float valves leak and allow fuel to flow into the cylinders.  A bunch of raw gas in one or more cylinders won't compress and WILL bend a rod if enough fuel is in there.  Hydrolock is a big deal.  Worst case is if a rod is bent enough, the engine won't be able to make a full revolution until the bent rod or rods are replaced.  Are you understanding all of this?  Awaiting your response.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2018, 11:45:05 pm »
what I mean is not a vapor lock,, but gas overflow into the cylinder heads , non compressible leading to bent rod,, sorry for the lack of proper terminology.

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2018, 11:55:26 pm »
ok,, so I just got back from the river ,, the green bridge we in Kerby Oregon call it, watching the salmon run and my youngest daughter stalking fish boy.  I sprinted the short straight  to 110 mph and braked for my life at the turn about.  Curious thing is:  Crysis likes to barely lift the front wheel up, in first and second,, but she never comes all the way up unless I jerk with all my might.  I wonder if that is not Japanese brilliance , or simply the fossil fuel industry's way of ensuring I have to replace my rear wheel all the time?  Crysis leaves most her rubber all over the pavement every time I pass, or show off,, or just have a death wish.  But she never tests my reflexes by trying to flip over.

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2018, 12:14:10 am »
Crud,, didn't finish my story,, ok so , I got little front end lifts on the 1/4 mile bridge  straight after watching salmons and my daughter chasing boys.  Hit 110 + in about a quarter mile dead end, and got back to highway 199 ( redwood highway) to find cars back up about a half mile on the "heading to the coast" side.  I could see ambulances and police about a quarter mile to my right.  Was yet another major accident.     Funny how I have seen 3 major , multi car accidents since thanx giving, and they consider motorcycles dangerous.  These idiots and there cell phones driving and chatting.  Oh,, and it seems ambulances have some radar stuff?  they seem to set off my detector too.  Max range seems to be about a quarter mile.  But still experimenting.   Also,, the cheapy Cobra has a radar detector detector.  Yes,, it can detect if they can detect if you have a detector, and make you invisible .  Or some such thing,, anyhow,, it seems to go off when I come across others with radar detectors.  But Im a beginner at this radar stuff, point is,, a pack of Harley's  nearly always sets off my radar,, kinda funny if you think about it.  OOp,, must go,, Crysis calls me to go pick up my daughter from boy stalking,, it has become dark.

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2018, 01:03:59 am »
Little bump here, I just borrowed a vacuum carb sync and it was not the mercury float type, it was the dials.  My number 1 and 2 were close to each other, 3 and 4 were not quite as close to each other, but 1,2 VS. 3,4 were completely on the opposite ends of the red zone on the gauges.  I actually had to mess with the idle screw to get the bit to stay idoling while I brought 1,2 and 3,4 into line.  Now Crysis idles much more like a normal 4 cylinder, but doesn't sound nearly as cool, and seems to have more solid low end.  But honestly, is seems to have taken a bit from the high end.  Not sure, maybe just having more low end lessens the feeling of the power  band between 7 and 9.5 grand?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2018, 07:00:50 pm »
I'm going to make a suggestion, so take what you will from it;
you did this synch, using a set of four gauges, borrowed from the Harley dude...

Did you actually verify they are somewhat calibrated, and each one of those gauges, when attached to a single carb, read that single carb the same? Or are you assuming the set of gauges is properly calibrated, and functioning perfectly (i.e., they never hit the ground in their life, and were handled and stored with care...)

Just asking, as I have very little faith in quad gauges, bad enough I'm trying to set 4 carbs, but using 4 separate gauges just adds so much more possibility of errors between each gauge's range and function,