Author Topic: 1995 A7 exhaust silencers  (Read 1964 times)

Offline jacksdad

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
1995 A7 exhaust silencers
« on: December 22, 2017, 06:40:33 pm »
Hi; I'm looking for new silencers for my 95 Gtr1000, A7/9 model.
It has the 'full power' carb tops, and a K&N air filter, so I'm looking for a good free flowing pair of cans  ;D
The prices here in England vary massively: Just seen a pair of used Neta cans, the seller wants £340 for them!
On eBay UK theres a few listings for Delkevic stainless steel cans, starting at £250 pair, delivered...has anyone fitted them, or heard any reviews? I'm tempted by the price, but ant comments are much appreciated, thanks  :great:

Offline cra-z1000

• Crotch Rocket
  • Keeping it upright..
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9790
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: 1995 A7 exhaust silencers
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 11:35:56 pm »
The most frugal (free) method is the bafflectomy on the stock cans . Search Bafflectomy here for info .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 11:47:50 pm »
It has the 'full power' carb tops
Would someone educate me on full power carb tops?  As far as aftermarket mufflers, there are some on here that run Delkevics and have seen some running Holeshots as well.  Personally I have no problem with stock.  My ears are bad enough already! :-[

Offline mnbikeguy

• Mini Bike
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 01:31:25 am »
It has the 'full power' carb tops
Would someone educate me on full power carb tops?  As far as aftermarket mufflers, there are some on here that run Delkevics and have seen some running Holeshots as well.  Personally I have no problem with stock.  My ears are bad enough already! :-[

It's a UK thing that doesn't impact US models. The later models had different carb tops that limited HP.

Offline jacksdad

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 02:10:11 pm »
Was it only UK bikes? Never knew that  :o
The later bikes had 'humps' under the carb plastic top, to limit them, and the silencers were restricted as well. All we needed to do was replace the tops and fit Neta silencers, just this released about 25 Bhp  :-\

My Neta cans are rotten, the baffles seem solid, but the seams along the bottom and around the pipe/can joint are bursting apart, from the inside.

Offline jacksdad

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 02:19:06 pm »
A pair of Holeshot cans will cost me about $1800 with shipping and UK robbing bstard Import Duty, Vat and their own delivery charges....
Think the Delkevics at approx. $335 for the pair, delivered, are looking favorite   ;D
Thanks for the info, the Holeshot site is an interesting read  :great:

Online connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 06:08:05 pm »
Jacksdad, what's the cost of stock mufflers on Ebay UK?
Might be a better option.

Explantion;
I did a baffelectomy on my stockers and did dyno runs before/after, {I also tested Cobra F1s slip-on's}
The stock mufflers {with baffelectomy} gave the same torque/hp increase as the slip-on mufflers, and they were quieter than the slip-on's.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 04:59:20 am »
Jacksdad, what's the cost of stock mufflers on Ebay UK?
Might be a better option.

Explantion;
I did a baffelectomy on my stockers and did dyno runs before/after, {I also tested Cobra F1s slip-on's}
The stock mufflers {with baffelectomy} gave the same torque/hp increase as the slip-on mufflers, and they were quieter than the slip-on's.

Ride safe, Ted

I agree that the bafflectomy'd stock silencers provide the best all around engine performance, comparable to say Delkevic slip-on's. I like the Delkevic's, because of the sound, which isn't super refined but give this Concours some growel. In the future a custom 4-1 would be nice, something like the Contario 4-1 header.
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 11:18:56 am »
It has the 'full power' carb tops, and a K&N air filter, so I'm looking for a good free flowing pair of cans  ;D
The prices here in England vary massively: Just seen a pair of used Neta cans, the seller wants £340 for them!
On eBay UK theres a few listings for Delkevic stainless steel cans, starting at £250 pair, delivered...has anyone fitted them, or heard any reviews? I'm tempted by the price, but ant comments are much appreciated, thanks  :great:

I put a set of Delkevics on my '95. Probably wouldn't have bought them outright, but since I won them at our National in Helen, GA a couple of years ago I decided to stick them on about 6 mos. and give them a try.

Definitely louder than the OEM silencers, but not obtrusively so. I did notice that the bike didn't seem to run as clean as it did before I put them on, so needing to do a little maint. anyway, I pulled the carbs to check for dirt/any jet blockage (nasty ethanol gas used here). While I had them out, I upped the pilot jets one size and shimmed the needles. Also decided to pull the air injection emissions stuff, so work still in progress and haven't put it back on the road yet.

I should add that the bike ran fine at throttle (more power - who knows?). I didn't like the way it idled, nor slightly off idle..... hence the reason for checking the jets, upping the pilots, and shimming the needles.

There used to be a company in England that made exhaust systems for the GTR, but the name escapes me at present. I would have needed to get them imported to the US, which put it out of my frugal reach.

One down side of the pipes is that I had to pull my trailer hitch. The angle of the pipes interfere with the hitch.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 12:27:11 pm by connieklr »
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline jacksdad

• Training Wheels
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 07:31:28 pm »
Thanks again for all the replies, I'm thinking that the Delkevik range are the best for me, just need to choose a pair that I like!

connieklr   I think your cans look perfect, I do like louder pipes than standard, so I'm going to buy the same  ;D
Do you think that standard jetting will work? Thats UK standard of course!  ;D

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 11:17:11 pm »
Thanks again for all the replies, I'm thinking that the Delkevik range are the best for me, just need to choose a pair that I like!

connieklr   I think your cans look perfect, I do like louder pipes than standard, so I'm going to buy the same  ;D
Do you think that standard jetting will work? Thats UK standard of course!  ;D

You'll just need to try'em and see. As I mentioned, my bike ran fine, but I just didn't like the way it idled and increasing the throttle very slightly off idle. That's just me. Some folks may not have noticed.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 03:53:32 am »

I put a set of Delkevics on my '95. Probably wouldn't have bought them outright, but since I won them at our National in Helen, GA a couple of years ago I decided to stick them on about 6 mos. and give them a try.

Definitely louder than the OEM silencers, but not obtrusively so. I did notice that the bike didn't seem to run as clean as it did before I put them on, so needing to do a little maint. anyway, I pulled the carbs to check for dirt/any jet blockage (nasty ethanol gas used here). While I had them out, I upped the pilot jets one size and shimmed the needles. Also decided to pull the air injection emissions stuff, so work still in progress and haven't put it back on the road yet.

I should add that the bike ran fine at throttle (more power - who knows?). I didn't like the way it idled, nor slightly off idle..... hence the reason for checking the jets, upping the pilots, and shimming the needles.

There used to be a company in England that made exhaust systems for the GTR, but the name escapes me at present. I would have needed to get them imported to the US, which put it out of my frugal reach.

One down side of the pipes is that I had to pull my trailer hitch. The angle of the pipes interfere with the hitch.

I did the Delkavics and am really happy with them. Lot lighter than stock mufflers and easy to install. :great: Some pull the baffles out for more noise. I tried them stock but didn't like the sound on dececeration. Just a tad loud for me. Pulled the baffles and threw in a couple stainless steel Brillow pads (put the baffles back in) and now the sound is just right for me. ;D  SiSF did the carb spa and my C10 didn't notice any difference . Carbs are still spot on!!!      :) :)
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2017, 01:34:14 pm »

guy,  I don't know how much you drilled the pilots, bur the setup of shimmed needles and stock main jets alone is going to render the bike to rich, and drilling the pilots even moreso. I've have done all of this over the years, drilling the pilots .002" over  on the stock setup alone will KILL fuel economy.

the other thing I see is that you're running the delk slilencers in your slipons. thos things are not just noise killers, they're power killers. Maybe with the 2 mufflers it isn't so bad, but I tried a delk with the DB killer on Shoodaben and the power loss was staggeringly noticeable. That may have been part of the reason you felt your bike wasn't running as well with the dual delks with the DB killers... the stock mufflers outflow them.

In general  making the jetting richer is the wrong way to go with limited flow. Off idle response on stock carburetors IS an issue but tossing a bunch of fuel at it isn't the best way to solve this, and trust me, this is said from a BTDT point of view. HTH, Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline jacksdad

• Training Wheels
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 01:52:23 pm »
I'm planning on getting the 350mm cans, they are quoted at 3.6 lbs each, so pretty light, they come with link pipes that will fit onto my Motad stainless headers.
The rest of the bike is standard apart from the K&N air filter, so hopefully it will run properly. If its too loud I'll try adding silencer wadding or wire wool, but if its s little louder than standard it will suit me  ;D
Thanks for the advice, I've still got to finish rebuilding the carbs and fitting the head I've rebuilt, looking forward to riding it!

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 03:35:55 pm »
I'm planning on getting the 350mm cans, they are quoted at 3.6 lbs each, so pretty light, they come with link pipes that will fit onto my Motad stainless headers.
The rest of the bike is standard apart from the K&N air filter, so hopefully it will run properly. If its too loud I'll try adding silencer wadding or wire wool, but if its s little louder than standard it will suit me  ;D
Thanks for the advice, I've still got to finish rebuilding the carbs and fitting the head I've rebuilt, looking forward to riding it!

If you still have the carbs apart, and you certainly seem mechanically inclined, can I implore you to try SISF's 2MM jetting kit? You can install the jets yourself, set the fuel heights, and partially block the airbox intake with the supplied foam. Then after installing the Delkevics, you can "tune" the intake with more or less restriction, adjusting the foam block size.

For me I had to run with the silencers initially installed, with a 1/2 inch hole in each one, to get the same low-end torque as I got from the Bafflectomy'd OEM cans. However many COGers stated that their bikes ran great with no silencer baffles, and that you should be getting full low-end regardless of open/restricted exhausts.

And after SISF built me a 36mm carb bank with the 2MM jetting installed, I just adjusted the foam and slightly raised the needles. I run the dual Delkevics wide open now, with ample low-end. And to muddy the waters even more, it wasn't until I upgraded to 36mm carb bodies that the Delkevics really had a 'full bodied' sound.

Online connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2017, 04:33:50 pm »
For me I had to run with the silencers initially installed, with a 1/2 inch hole in each one,

VT, are the silencers you mention here, your Delkevic's with baffle?

Jacksdad, are the Motad stainless headers still available in Eu?
  are they 4 into 1 or 4 into 2 design?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline jacksdad

• Training Wheels
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2017, 07:21:46 pm »
36mm carbs sound huge! Mine are 32mm, I/D of inlet body of carb. I've got a set of 34mm carbs, was thinking off restorung these to sell, but would they benefit my bike?
I'm not really after more power, its quick enough top speed and the midrange is good, the best for me is instant throttle response from closed to 2/3 throttle, short shifting through the box.

Steve: do you recommend the 2mm jet kit as suggested? I'll try the bike on the standard setup first to give me a good starting point, probably with the Neta cans as well, they are working well enough, just look rough with all the external repairs!

Connie_rider: I don't think the Motad front pipes are still available, mines standard size 4-2. There are a few full Motad Neta full systems for sale in Europe, but fetch around £4-500 a set  :o

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2017, 11:32:02 pm »
36mm carbs sound huge! Mine are 32mm, I/D of inlet body of carb. I've got a set of 34mm carbs, was thinking off restorung these to sell, but would they benefit my bike?
I'm not really after more power, its quick enough top speed and the midrange is good, the best for me is instant throttle response from closed to 2/3 throttle, short shifting through the box.

Steve: do you recommend the 2mm jet kit as suggested? I'll try the bike on the standard setup first to give me a good starting point, probably with the Neta cans as well, they are working well enough, just look rough with all the external repairs!

Connie_rider: I don't think the Motad front pipes are still available, mines standard size 4-2. There are a few full Motad Neta full systems for sale in Europe, but fetch around £4-500 a set  :o

The 2mm kit is mostly to create instant throttle response, from closed all the way to redline. You also get an improvement in fuel economy, generally, which is a bonus. Surprisingly the stock carb setup on the Concours 1000 meters in plenty of fuel, its more of the delivery and the intake letting in too much air for low-end pickup. I am sure you are trying to tune out the stumble in off-idle throttle from 1500-2500 RPM, which is one of the main reasons for the 2MM.

For me I had to run with the silencers initially installed, with a 1/2 inch hole in each one,

VT, are the silencers you mention here, your Delkevic's with baffle?

Jacksdad, are the Motad stainless headers still available in Eu?
  are they 4 into 1 or 4 into 2 design?

Ride safe, Ted

Yes sorry, I should have clarified.

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2017, 11:56:47 am »

guy,  I don't know how much you drilled the pilots, bur the setup of shimmed needles and stock main jets alone is going to render the bike to rich, and drilling the pilots even moreso. I've have done all of this over the years, drilling the pilots .002" over  on the stock setup alone will KILL fuel economy.

the other thing I see is that you're running the delk slilencers in your slipons. thos things are not just noise killers, they're power killers. Maybe with the 2 mufflers it isn't so bad, but I tried a delk with the DB killer on Shoodaben and the power loss was staggeringly noticeable. That may have been part of the reason you felt your bike wasn't running as well with the dual delks with the DB killers... the stock mufflers outflow them.

In general  making the jetting richer is the wrong way to go with limited flow. Off idle response on stock carburetors IS an issue but tossing a bunch of fuel at it isn't the best way to solve this, and trust me, this is said from a BTDT point of view. HTH, Steve

Steve, I did not drill the pilots. I simply went up one size...... and shimmed the needles slightly. Don't remember the thickness, but again, it was very slight.

To me, the bike sounded/felt just a wee bit lean in the throttle positions I'd mentioned. If I misjudged, I can danged sure reverse the changes I made.

And yes, the DK's were installed as they came right out of the box. My bike runs plenty strong so see no need to start fooking with the baffles. Earlier, others had mentioned pulling them. To me, they're right on the edge of being too loud..... actually to the point that I now use ear plugs on this bike. Those were only used with the KLR previously.

We'll see what we have once I can get back out there and put things back together. Been too much going on here lately + it's cold as Hades out there now.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 05:46:35 pm by connieklr »
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline jacksdad

• Training Wheels
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2017, 12:48:03 pm »
Lots of interesting replies! A few different setups to otherwise standard bikes, maybe its down to which year and where its used?
I've finished the carbs now, the cylinder head is built up and ready, new camchain ready...just need the weather to brighten up  ::)
Its currently -3 C here in Northern England, and this bike is outside, under a gazebo, and is ice cold!
We have had a bit of snow in the south, (once again the roads got blocked with lorries and cars that cannot handle a full 2" of snow  :rotflmao:
We may get the same today or tomorrow, I love it, got my modified Isuzu Trooper 44 to play with.
Anyways, once we get a sunny day and the metal has warmed a little, I'll remove the head and fit the rebuilt one, everything is off the engine, but I didn't want to release the head bolts until I'm ready to fit the new one, wet liner engines can develop leaks at the liner bases if left unclamped: I usually use large steel discs/washers and bolt the barrels down, this way I can also rotate the crank without lifting the liners, but I want to get this job finished asap.
Back to the exhausts, I'm going to refit the Neta silencers so its all back to standard spec, balance the carbs, and then fit the Delkevic cans: I'll keep you posted  ;D

Online connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2017, 03:30:41 pm »
We'll be watching.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline jacksdad

• Training Wheels
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2017, 10:15:38 pm »
Thanks Ted, looking forward to getting the bike running and riding perfectly!  :great:

Offline Boomer

• Street Cruiser
  • Me dwarfing Vivian
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 10:07:44 am »
Delkevic 450mm here.
I like the sound but you will need to fit the stainless pan scrubbers.
Otherwise the drone at 70-80mph gets irritating on longer rides.

Motad went bankrupt earlier this year.
They have been bought but no longer do parts for the C10.
M&P still have some old stock N-etas and there are a few sets of Datum silencers still available.

Other than the Delkevic there are the Marving silencers, but I'm not keen on those.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK
CDA-007

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 12:38:00 pm »
Delkevic 450mm here.
I like the sound but you will need to fit the stainless pan scrubbers.
Otherwise the drone at 70-80mph gets irritating on longer rides.

Motad went bankrupt earlier this year.
They have been bought but no longer do parts for the C10.
M&P still have some old stock N-etas and there are a few sets of Datum silencers still available.

Other than the Delkevic there are the Marving silencers, but I'm not keen on those.

Motad was the company I was thinking of but couldn't remember (CRS?), and I believe M&P was the parts place who put me in touch with them back when the earth was still hot.

Thanks Boomer.

I might pack mine with SS scrubbers to try an quiet them down a bit. I had to put a "quiet insert" in the DG Exhaust I put on the KLR; OEM internals rusted out. DG has four levels of quiet inserts (I picked the one that was the least restrictive), but may try one of the others just to see.

A Happy New Year yo ya'll.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Online connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 04:56:57 pm »
I completely forgot about the SS Scrubber trick.   :-[
   That's an old trick I used to do {to keep my Dad happy}.
   After leaving the house, out they came...

Ride safe, Ted