Author Topic: 1999zg1000  (Read 468 times)

Offline John

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12872
  • Membership Level: Active
1999zg1000
« on: September 23, 2018, 09:28:22 pm »
Cranks no start 1&4 has one spark then none 1&3 no spark coils r good please help thanks

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
Re: 1999zg1000
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 10:09:27 pm »
Cranks no start 1&4 has one spark then none 1&3 no spark coils r good please help thanks
you need to be a bit more specific, as what you have posted is very vague, and somewhat confusing.
one coli fires 1&4, the other 2&3, and how you are saying they 'r' good, is a mystery at this point.

to fire, the bike needs 3 things;
a reliable spark
fuel
and air

you need to be a bit more specific about when it last ran, how it was stored, how old the fuel is, what has been done to it, how many miles on it, a lot more info.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline John

• Big Wheels
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 11:02:06 pm »
When I hit starter 1&4plug sparks 1spark and then no spark 2&3 do not spark.I switched coil wires and then 2&3 sparks 1time then no spark 1&4 no spark. Wires to iginitor check good. Bike has 23000 miles and has not been run since 2009. Bike was always stored inside

Offline batboy

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 12:53:36 am »
I would bet money the carburetors are gummed up if it has sat for 9 years. As for why the spark issues, I have no clue.

Offline John

• Big Wheels
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 01:53:46 am »
The bike was running when put up 9 years ago. I drained carbs and gas was clear and I put new battery in.

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 12:59:54 pm »
John - It's probably going to take some work to get this bike back on the road. Even though stored inside and the gas ran clear there is still a lot that can happen. Seals dry out, gas get gummy in the small ports, brake fluid takes on water, tires rot, etc.
MOB and others are going to ask some very specific questions. Try not to get defensive as they are not trying to question your abilities. They are only trying to get your bike running. It's kind of like going to the Dr. and they ask you for prescription list over and over. Arguing with them about the question won't make a bit of difference. Just answer the question to the best of your ability. If you don't know how to do something just ask. The folks here have seen every possible problem and there is a 100% chance if you give them the info they will help you solve the no start problem.

This has been public service announcement.

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 04:00:57 pm »
Check the connections from the wiring harness to the coils.  Unplug and re-plug the connector to the igniter multiple times.  Look for corrosion on the igniter connector while you have it apart.

Offline John

• Big Wheels
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 04:05:24 pm »
I will be sending carbs to Steve and all fluids will be changed but I want to fix no spark problem I will be putting updated jbox in. I have been riding since 1963,I am 75 and in good health except for cancer from agent orange. I have a 2001 hd dyna and this zg1000 was given to me, the zg1000 is like new.

Offline MichiGlenn

• Road Bike
  • "Wherever you are, be all there" Jim Elliot
  • COG#: 10892
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 10:01:40 pm »
From your response to MOB’s question about the spark, my best guess would be a loose wire at one coil, or it’s somehow malfunctioning. The rest of what you’re doing sounds wise for a bike sitting that long. MOB, SISF and others know these bikes inside and out, and are generally willing to help. Good luck!  Glad to hear of another bike being returned to service!
2001 C-10
1977 Honda CB750K Sold
1978 Honda CB750K Long Gone
1972 Honda CL175 Ancient History
Heald Super Tryke 8hp, Wards T555 Trike

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 10:32:55 pm »
Steve came up with the free power Mod because of a poor ground to the igniter.
As your fire is sporadic, it's a possibility.
So, I would check the connections at the battery. (Particularly the ground)

After you get it going, I would do his free power mod.
It's relatively EZ to do.
He made a video that shows step by step.
   {Someone please post the video here}..

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:27:27 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 11:24:21 pm »
The bike was running when put up 9 years ago. I drained carbs and gas was clear and I put new battery in.

When I hit starter 1&4plug sparks 1spark and then no spark 2&3 do not spark.I switched coil wires and then 2&3 sparks 1time then no spark 1&4 no spark. Wires to iginitor check good. Bike has 23000 miles and has not been run since 2009. Bike was always stored inside

I will be sending carbs to Steve and all fluids will be changed but I want to fix no spark problem I will be putting updated jbox in. I have been riding since 1963,I am 75 and in good health except for cancer from agent orange. I have a 2001 hd dyna and this zg1000 was given to me, the zg1000 is like new.

before I step back from this case, I'll address what I have read, and it still has not answered the specifics...

Ok
switching the power wires from the coils, to test them tells me the wires to coil 2/3, were not getting juice.
there should be 2 sparks per rotation of the engine,  1/4 fires, then 180* later 2/3 fires, both plugs should fire at each interval. it's a double fire (lost spark) system, so, if only ONE plug fires/sparks, and 180* later another plug, or associated one of that pair fires, an issue exists between coil, and spark plugs, meaning the plug boot ends need to be unscrewed from the wire, wire trimmed back a half inch, re inserted into the boot, and while pressing firmly boot re 'screwed' back onto the wire (about a half inch, or until it doesn't screw in further.) re check, both plugs in each pair (1/4 and 2/3) should spark during one revolution of the engine, and this should continue all the time the engine is being 'cranked over'.  if not, a wire to one of the coils, from the ignitor (not the J-box), is compromised... or, a connection from the sensing coil at the timing rotor, to the system, may also be compromised.
Your statement  " I get one spark, then nothing" is not clear to me.. doesn't make sense,

look at the left hand coil, and inspect the black/yellow ground wire attached to the coil mounting bolt, it should be fully intact, not frayed, and the ring lug, and mating grounding surfaces scrubbed with sandpaper and bright and shiny, then reconnected.
I assume when you say "i installed a new battery" the battery currently is new...and fully charged, so it must be turning the engine over sufficiently, I think. Just as a second suggestion, make sure you actually scrubbed all the terminals, and wire end connections, until shiny with a piece of sand paper... looking clean, and actually being clean, are different.
You say you 'drained the float bowls (when, before storage?), and the gas is "clear"...
did you remove the tank, dump it out, rinse it with FRESH Clean fuel, and reinstall it with fresh fuel? I dunno, it's not clear..
.( meaning your description, not the fuel)
Have you inspected the airbox, and air filter yet? An OEM air filter will completely deteriorate and turn into dust and debris, over such a period of time... this will all be sucked in thru the carbs, and intake tract...I guarantee that.

I don't think the J Box comes into this whatsoever at this point, as you have spark, so don't add another variable to the already tough equation please.

Not to step on Ted's (Connie_rider) 's reference to the 'free power mod', lets just keep this simple, as it ran when put down, let's make it run again, and not add other issues that could be done with a probability of error, just at this point...
I'm going to step back now, and let this all get digested, and completed.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 11:29:00 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 12:25:38 pm »
Oops:   I agree about not doing the Free Power mod now. Would add another variable at this stage..
But, I would check the connections at the battery for corrosion.

I mis-spoke when I typed it.
  My thought was to do the mod after the bike was up and running.
      (I'll go back and reword it.)

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline John

• Big Wheels
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 05:03:00 pm »
My problem is this 1&4 spark only 1time when starter button pushed and 2&3 no spark switched coils black and red wires to right coil and green and red to left coil hit starter and then 2&3 spark 1time. The spark drops out and will not spark again until ignition switch off and then back on. I can leave ignition on and turn kill sw off and back on and then I get the 1 spark. I have repair manual coming the 27 sept. I need to get spark before I do anything else. I am puttin manual petcock in.

Offline John

• Big Wheels
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 05:07:06 pm »
Why do I only get 1 spark, it seems like something drops off with starter going.

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 05:43:17 pm »
You would help yourself greatly if you would address each and every point in MOB's post.  He's your buddy and will help you make this run, but you have to answer his questions and do what he suggests that you do.  It will go a lot faster that way.  He used to be the COG tech editor in the past and knows what he is talking about......even if he sometimes has the bedside manner of nurse diesel. :rotflmao:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 10:51:35 pm »
My problem is this 1&4 spark only 1time when starter button pushed and 2&3 no spark switched coils black and red wires to right coil and green and red to left coil hit starter and then 2&3 spark 1time. The spark drops out and will not spark again until ignition switch off and then back on. I can leave ignition on and turn kill sw off and back on and then I get the 1 spark. I have repair manual coming the 27 sept. I need to get spark before I do anything else. I am puttin manual petcock in.

Why do I only get 1 spark, it seems like something drops off with starter going.

I attempted to explain why, even tho I do not have the bike in front of me.

you really need to read what I wrote, as causes...and points of diagnostic repair...

I have no idea why you only get 1 spark... it does not make sense.

if you don't read it, you have wasted both of our time, best of luck on the petcock install, and when you get around to answering and addressing what I've already outlined, let us know.

the shotgun approach never fairs well. Focus on what was said.

Offline John

• Big Wheels
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 12:36:52 am »
Thanks for all the help. This what I found. The wires at the plug that goes to the pulse coil had been smashed and the blue and black with white strip wires were cut and frayed the yellow and black wires shorted to the blue wire. Repaired wires and now I have spark. I will be putting new pulse coils in bike.
I think the tank had crushed the wires. Again thanks for help.
 I would like to get in touch with people near me. I live in Quincy Wa.

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 08:56:35 am »
Glad you found the problem!  Any pics that might illustrate how these wires got damaged?  I'm sure others would be interested to know how it happened and how to avoid damaging those wires.  Good work John! :great:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2018, 10:20:19 pm »
Thanks for all the help. This what I found. The wires at the plug that goes to the pulse coil had been smashed and the blue and black with white strip wires were cut and frayed the yellow and black wires shorted to the blue wire. Repaired wires and now I have spark. I will be putting new pulse coils in bike.
I think the tank had crushed the wires. Again thanks for help.
 I would like to get in touch with people near me. I live in Quincy Wa.

glad you took the time, and went thru what I pointed at, with regards to compromised wires in one of the 3 areas I noted...
this is why I stressed doing things methodically, and it seams when you 'checked the wires to the ignitor' you didn't check them as shown in the manual, as the short would have been seen in that harness... I'll add that page at the bottom, just for others that may have an issue, and want to check the plug pin outs....

before I step back from this case, I'll address what I have read, and it still has not answered the specifics...

Ok
switching the power wires from the coils, to test them tells me the wires to coil 2/3, were not getting juice.
........ re check, both plugs in each pair (1/4 and 2/3) should spark during one revolution of the engine, and this should continue all the time the engine is being 'cranked over'. ........
...... if not, a wire to one of the coils, from the ignitor (not the J-box), is compromised...

.....or, a connection from the sensing coil at the timing rotor, to the system, may also be compromised.

........I'm going to step back now, and let this all get digested, and completed.

I don't think you need to spend the big $$ on new sensing coils, simply get a piece of shrink tube, cut each wire at its pinched spot, slide the tube onto the wire, and solder the bared ends after twisting them together, and shrink the tube as insulation.. same as new.

Offline John

• Big Wheels
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2018, 11:05:30 pm »
I did that. I soldered the wires and used shrink tubing but I wanted new coils. The bike was given to me and it in great shape. Next the carbs are going to Fla.