Author Topic: 2000 with erratic idle, etc.  (Read 1887 times)

Offline JJ

• Big Wheels
2000 with erratic idle, etc.
« on: November 28, 2008, 01:43:00 am »
I recently purchased a 2000 Concours with 35,000 miles. It doesn't want to idle properly (have to increase the idle speed to keep it running-idle fluctuates) and the revs will not drop immediately after closing the throttle. Seems to be ok after takeoff but will not drop revs between shifts. Are these symptoms familiar? The previous owner provided me with a 6 mo. old receipt from a Kawasaki dealer for valve adjust & carb sync. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.  Jim  jjoyner5@comcast.net  

Offline Greg Habel

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7010
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 03:24:00 pm »
Jim, welcome to the Concours Owners Group.    Sounds like carb issues.  In particular them getting a bit gummed up.  Try running some Seafoam through.  You can drain the carbs, then fill them via the gas line with a 50/50 mixture of Seafoam and gas.  Crank it for a few seconds to get the mixture working throughout but don't start it.  Let soak about a couple of hours then start it up again.  It will smoke for a bit until fresh gas mixes in.   Then take it for a test ride.  Hopefully that solves it.      Check out this post also:  http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/mboards/viewmessages.cfm?clubID=1328&Forum=1406&Topic=15281      Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude  COG# 7010,a Tracey  CDA 120  99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250    
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 03:40:00 pm by habelsgtb »
Greg H from Mass -  MA/ME/NH/VT co-AAD 2012+ with wife Tracey
COG# 7010,a Tracey  CDA 120 (3.0)  99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle"

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 04:29:00 pm »
Yep my guess is gummed up carbs also.  You can try the above but I think he did not mean to run the bike long on 50/50 mix.  Just long enough to get it sucked into the system good.  The passages that clog are very small though and do not always clear from cleaners.  You can do it the right way but its harder.  Pull and do a rebuild and make sure to run small wire or something through the passages while your in there.  Hear all the time of people not doing that and have to pull the carbs again.  But then again you could just have a mouse in the air cleaner.  Never trust us to know what we are talking about.  ----------------------------------  I will answer any question.  It is up to you to figure out if I should have.    <p align="left">My Photos<br
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Colin

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'd rather be riding!
    • Facebook
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 06:30:00 pm »
Take a look to see if the idle jet blanking plates are still installed. To comply with EPA regs they put disks over them. Its a common issue on Connies that after a while the idle jets get clogged. Also most idle screws are incorrectly set by the factory.    If they are still in place, drain the carbs remove the carb rack and remove the blanking pates by drilling a 1.5mm hole in the middle and pulling the plug with a self tapping screw. Then you can remove and clean the slow running jets. set them all at 2 turns out and the bike will run much better.    HOWEVER, if you are going to all that bother. Best to buy Steve from Sunny Florida's jet kit. its only $55.00  and your bike will run way way better after. He also includes great instructions (Kudos to RK) on how to set the carbs up properly.    Cheers    Colin  Colin Prior  Cogmos Committee Chairman  Lake Forest Park WA  COG#7767  
Selling my ZGRX - C10 with a ZRX1200 Engine - Details Here
Colin Prior

Offline JJ

• Big Wheels
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 12:16:00 am »
Thank you all for the great advice and for welcoming me to COG. I will try your suggestions!    JJ  

Offline Roger 123

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 5903
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 10:53:00 am »
I did the Seafoam trick but I rigged up a funnel and ran straight seafoam into the gas line (via the funnel) til the bike died.  Let it sit for an hour or so then drained the seafoam, refilled with gas and did it one more time.    Worked like a champ.  This was right after switching to ethnol gas here in VA and the bike sat for a few months.  So I know there wasn't too much bad stuff in the carbs.    You may get lucky and it'll save you a teardown.  Roger ('07 Wee Strom)  COG 5903  Virginia Beach, VA
Roger '14 Tenere ES, COG 5903, VA Beach, VA

Offline Douglas_Cropper_NY

• Big Wheels
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 10:18:00 pm »
My bike , a 99, does the same thing! What is Seafoam? Never heard of it. Would Gumout work just as well?  

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 11:02:00 am »
Here is what seafoam is.  Found on a simple google search...  http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm    I have had good luck with Techron.  http://www.chevron.com/products/ourfuels/prodserv/additives/tcp.aspx    I have not heard that many using gumout but I bet its ok.  This product is the one I would go with maybe.  http://www.gumout.com/productsFA.asp?products=1_09  ----------------------------------  I will answer any question.  It is up to you to figure out if I should have.    <p align="left">My Photos<br
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107