Author Topic: Life expectancy of star spring on a 91 c-10?  (Read 289 times)

Offline roadisattva

• ready to spend my good health and clean living dividend
  • Training Wheels
  • enlightment is out there somewhere
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12200
  • Membership Level: Active
Life expectancy of star spring on a 91 c-10?
« on: August 26, 2017, 01:13:41 pm »
I am enjoying the shifting and performance of my 91 Connie.  With 31,000 miles should I think of the star spring upgrade as a preventative measure in the near future? I think I read that when it malfunctions you can keep going but I don't want to ride a lot of miles with a poorly performing bike.  I am thinking of adding the project to winter maintenance and upgrade time.

Roadisattva
Another Steve

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
  • COG#: 11628
Re: Life expectancy of star spring on a 91 c-10?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 01:29:01 pm »
Depends on riding...but I'd say 50k. The new ones you can buy from Murph are the new 2 piece design...it wouldn't hurt to get it serviced. Once updated, should be easily good to 100k.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline captainporksword

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12668
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 02:59:56 pm »
If you aggressively downshift where you chirp the rear tire sometimes it is most likely going to break. I wouldn't ride on it any more than getting home if it does break because you can damage the clutch plates and get stuck replacing all that too. When mine broke i could noticeably hear more noise coming from where the clutch pack is and one day a shard of the broken spring wedged itself between the plates and i couldnt get my clutch to engage until i kept engaging and disengaging the clutch to get it to fall out. Its pretty easy to replace if you wanted to do it yourself just make sure you have a clutch removal tool or an impact gun to get that nut off.

Offline roadisattva

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 04:06:36 pm »
On my trip last week I did some aggressive downshifting when I was rolling along briskly on a nice paved road and at the SD-Nebraska line I noticed a sign that said  PAVEMENT ENDS,   yikes,  I remember a very loud chip during that pucker moment.  Rode about 15 miles on the gravel at a much slower pace.   
Sometimes it takes several jabs to get the bike from neutral to first, but I think the star spring is still intact.  I looked it up on Murphs site and will get the kit in stock for this winters projects list.
Another Steve

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 06:53:53 pm »
Here's my advice, based on how many I've seen/replaced...And pretty much kept track of...

First,
There is absolutly no specific "mile" expectancy. It can happen day one, or after 150k, I've seen most last well into the 80-100k zone.just fine.
There was originally a formal factory recall, issued around 1999, which was 5 years after the last effected models were manufactured... so gives you an idea how long or what transpired, to take that long to change the design.
The recall was sent to all recorded owners of affected bikes at that time, and stated "could cause loss of control, possibly resulting in personal injury or death" iirc the mumbo jumbo words, and any owner of an affected bike could have this rectified, FOR FREE, at that time, by terms of the recall... I'm sure Kaw replaced many at that point, and well after, but cannot say for certain how long they must uphold that liability...
During the first few years, after the recall, many of the replacement "kits" bearing the recall parts replacement number, were not "kitted" correctly, and contained mixed springs and nuts, making the "easy" kit an erroneous and wrong pick... this continued up into and thru 2002, and some still exist on shelves kitted wrong,.even today.... these kits were also the same as on ZX and Voyager models affected during that period... a real cluster...

My opinion is this, if you have symptoms, like double bump on the clutch lever at times when releasing it, or slippage, open it up and see what's in there...
Until you actually inspect, buying the parts may be wasted cash, as many bike may have been retrofittied prior, and are fine...
Even if the old single 6 finger spring is in there, and functioning, swapping it now may be moot..

I will say, even models manufactured after the recall, and right to the end of the last ZG1000 manufactured, can have a failure, yess... even with the double 3 finger springs and new nut, I've seen it, and repaired them, so even those can fail at some point... when they so desire...

The failure on my OEM 86 occurred around 115 k miles, cought it right away, and fixed it..
My 88 had not failed yet, and had about 80k miles on it, and as I was in process building it anyways, I checked the springs and found a broken finger on one of the prior installed (before I owned it) set of double 3 finger springs...so I dropped the money on another set, and also on a set of OEM friction plates, as I had never really ridden the bike prior, and didn't want to redo the effort after the fact... all came out fine, and when I measured the plates I removed, they all were within spec compared to.the new ones I installed. I saved my old ones in a bag, oiled and stored them, and used them to replace a set for a friend that roasted his by not fixing a broken spring, and rode it slipping for a month... luckily he didn't warp any steel plates, a couple had some "color" to them, and cleaned up fine..

Just sharing the joy, and the knowledge..

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline roadisattva

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 07:11:59 pm »
Thanks for the great history and advice MOB.  I will take it apart to have a look and post a picture when it is in the garage for winter maintenance.

Roadisattva
Another Steve