Author Topic: 2002 Concours 10  (Read 603 times)

Offline jsiphoneguy

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
2002 Concours 10
« on: August 11, 2017, 01:21:57 pm »
My son is looking at a 2002 Concours ZG1000 Speedipus Rex Edition 2 (aka George) with
86360 miles. I'm new to my 2011 Connie (but absolutely love it) and I'm wondering if I need to be concerned about the mileage on this one. It seems to have been maintained exceptionally well and the price is $2500. Seems like a great deal. What is the life span of these bikes and would you be concerned about heading off on a 1500 mile excitation (in general terms)?

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: 2002 Concours 10
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 01:42:45 pm »
I'm not familiar with that particular bike.  mileage is affected by how they are maintained.  however, these bikes are fully capable of far more mileage than just 86k.  mine is at 75k and still running strong.  I would have no fear of a cross country trip.  just do all the usual checks and maintenance.  I'd be interested to know what carb work has been done, what has been done to the water pump....like the seal replaced, and coolant log o-rings replaced.  coolant hoses and brake clutch lines are wear parts at that age too.  grease fittings are often overlooked by owners, so be sure it's routinely greased.  Valve check done lately?  remove the fuel line from the petcock to the carbs to be sure the petcock vacuum seal is still good.
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline Larry_Buck_FL

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
    • Buck Sport Touring
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 3451
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 02:28:48 pm »
I know that bike. I would not hesitate to ride it anywhere in the country and yes it has had the best of maintenance. Buy it.
Larry Buck - COG 3451, Retired SE-AD, now SE-AAD, Ex - Concourier C-10 Tech Editor, COG National Safety Officer, IBA 5581, MSF-Rider Coach, Forum moderator.

Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 02:33:01 pm »
   Good advice from SportRider. Proper maintenance and engine and tranny will last a Long time. I have had mine for 23 yrs and 120,000 miles. I would have no problem going to either coast tomorrow. Good solid bike but I know my C10 has been maintained. Things like wheel bearings and brake pads will need attention some day but that is normal maintenance.

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/

Watch Steve's videos on the C10.

And Larry Buck knows stuff!!  :) :)

Hi Larry, I assume you are still vertical?? :great:

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:36:49 pm by Mettler1 »
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 03:51:22 pm »
I know that bike. I would not hesitate to ride it anywhere in the country and yes it has had the best of maintenance. Buy it.

I second that opinion, I know that bike also....  its a ready to ride cross country machine.... I've had my hands under those plastics a few times....

I'm betting that bike is the single most "had experts hands laid upon it" bike thru its life... (not due to mechanical issues... just been farkled well)...

Keep up the mainainence, and ride it long and far...... id expect to see that bike gather well over 200k miles on it....  just keep it well fed, and good "shoes" on it.. :great: :great:.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 10:55:23 am »
I know this bike too and have been on several multi state trips to COG Nationals with this bike and its owner.

Its been very well maintained and has just about every imaginable upgrade and farkle available.

Don't be afraid of the miles.  I know of one well maintained C10 that was still going strong at 278,000.

My own C10 has 92,xxx miles and I don't give it a second thought.

I would confidently leave today on either bike for a cross the USA ride.

Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 03:16:19 pm »
Thanks guy for the kind words. Yes I have maintained "George" and serviced
it according to maw K's recommendations. Allways greased suspension before
any trips.
In re guards to Crab work Steve's over flow tubes, 2 minute mod, tuned by the man
him self. Coolant change every 3 years before any sign of detectable acid. I am
inclined to believe coolant turns to acid and that is what gets to the O-ring's in
the coolant system.
6 inch over SS brake and clutch lines installed when 6" rise Heli Bars were installed.
Fluids changed this pass winter. Valve checked also with no adjustment needed.

Now the bad news (for me) good news (for You) the deal fell through. So it's still
available for $2500. After I take it to watch the eclipse.
Thank you again.

Offline goatmar

• Crotch Rocket
  • I do believe, help my unbelief.
  • COG#: 7957
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 07:10:42 pm »
109000 miles on my so far.  :great:
Dave Muzzey  St. Charles, IL  COG#7957  '01 Connie  100K miles and counting