Author Topic: 2002 Right Upper Mount Mount Broken....  (Read 281 times)

Offline JeffM_MS

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12611
  • Membership Level: Active
2002 Right Upper Mount Mount Broken....
« on: August 07, 2017, 08:59:54 am »
My 2002 now has a broken upper motor mount broken thanks to the rocket scientist who over tightened it. Should I have it repaired, should I just buy a used cylinder head, or leave it be? Seems the motor mount bolt is there holding it in place..thoughts?

Offline mgoodrich

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 4466
Re: 2002 Right Upper Mount Mount Broken....
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 11:52:28 am »
I can't remember anyone having this problem before.

The left side motor mount may need to be shimmed, and it sounds like whoever assembled the bike did not put the shim in before tightening it down.

Do you feel more vibration overall now? The motor is a stress member part of the frame, and usually if the mounts are not tightened up there can be a lot of vibration felt in the handle bars, depending on rpm.

As far as repair goes, I would find a shop that could weld it back on. Around here they are not that expensive, compared to getting a new head.

As far as actually having it done in the first place, there are a few threads here were folks have found the bolts missing and didn't notice it.  Not sure though I would recommend not getting it fixed.

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 03:01:05 pm »
I'm having a hard time imagining what could have broken a lug off the head, are you sure it's not just the bolt that's broken?

If it is the head I think I would replace the head, contact The Wizard here on the forum or look on E-Bay. Reason being, if enough force was applied to break off the lug, I'd be concerned about hidden damage. Also the lug is close to the machined surface so having it welded could cause a leak. And welding on a head is risky anyway, the heat can warp a head and that would cause it to leak unless it could be machined, which would cost more than a used head.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 03:09:48 pm »
The only time I have ever heard of these breaking was in an accident.
I suspect overtightening without shimming would put a lot of force on the piece.

I would replace the head. Don't have much faith in welding a stressed aluminum member.

Ride safe, Ted

14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9506
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 03:30:11 pm »
I also have never heard of this happening.  How big was the wrench used to tighten it?   :o

Definitely get it repaired.  The engine acts as part of the frame on these bikes.  (And I think there are only four engine mounting bolts.) 

As mgoodrich said, the engine needs to be shimmed on the left upper motor mount bolt.  Right side should be tightened to spec, and then shim and torque the left side down.  I broke several bolts before discovering this. 

I'm not an expert, so welding might work.  I'd lean towards replacing the head, though.  I'd expect you'd have to pull the engine out to get it welded properly anyway. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"
1998 Subaru Forester L 2.5 - "Subarugdu"

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 07:26:23 pm »
I've never seen one break from having a missing shim..just adding.

Only broken ones I've seen, and have seen a few for sure, were the result of a crash... and after all the plastic was repaired, nobody looked at the mount prior to repair... insurance guys don't look that close, and repair techs don't either, especially when they can either fix the bike for what the insurance already quoted for payment, or lse the whole repair bill because now the hidden damage drives the insurance to consider it a "total" and write the bike off...
Seen it happen... unfortunatly...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline JeffM_MS

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12611
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 10:53:55 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. Decided to do it the right way and replace the head. Found one on eBay... safety is always #1..: