Author Topic: 2003 stuck in No Gear!!!  (Read 333 times)

Offline DSamudio

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 13020
  • Membership Level: Active
2003 stuck in No Gear!!!
« on: August 08, 2019, 02:59:58 am »
When I got home tonight and got the bike in the garage, shut it down and began turning the bike around (in neutral) I heard and felt a cluck as I work my 32 point turn.

I started the bike, put it in 1st and as I released the clutch; the bike died.

At first it would only go into First position or neutral. After fussing with the shifter for awhile and it felt like I was going through the gears, no joy when I got back to 1st.

This is the second time this has happened and all the tricks I tried last time when I was 100 miles away from home did not work this time.

The first time this happened I got it in gear and road the bike home and have been problem free for 3K miles.

Could someone please suggest the possible problem and suggest a solution?

Thanks in advance,

DS

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10807
Re: 2003 stuck in No Gear!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 03:03:18 am »
Does the shifter feel loose? Make sure the nut is tight. The bad news is a possible broken spring inside. Past bedtime for most COG geezers. I'm sure the experts will chime in in the morning.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline DSamudio

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 03:18:37 am »
Does the shifter feel loose? Make sure the nut is tight. The bad news is a possible broken spring inside. Past bedtime for most COG geezers. I'm sure the experts will chime in in the morning.

The shifter does not feel loose.

It is on the center stand now (had to change the final drive oil) and with the engine off it is currently stuck in neutral.

DS
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 03:36:06 am by DSamudio, Reason: Additional info »

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 10:21:11 am »
When you release the clutch lever does it die instantly or does it seem like a load is being built up and a jammed drivetrain is holding the bike back?

The statement that "I started the bike put it into 1st gear and when I released the clutch the bike died" makes me think your sidestand was either down or your sidestand switch is gunked up and needs a squirt of WD-40. While it's on the center stand look for the rubber bellow that covers the sidestand switch underneath the bike, using the red tube extension of a WD-40 can work it under the bellow and give it a couple of squirts and then excersise the sidestand up and down repeatedly.

While on the centerstand and "stuck" in neutral you should be able to spin the rear wheel slowly and hand shift it into first.

These bikes don't like going into higher gears from neutral or 1st without the bike rolling. It is sometimes tough to get it into first from neutral, big clunk when the bike is running.
Hopefully it is something simple, how many miles do you have?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:28:38 am by Bob_C_CT »
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 11:28:00 am »
When I got home tonight and got the bike in the garage, shut it down and began turning the bike around (in neutral) I heard and felt a cluck as I work my 32 point turn.

I started the bike, put it in 1st and as I released the clutch; the bike died.

At first it would only go into First position or neutral. After fussing with the shifter for awhile and it felt like I was going through the gears, no joy when I got back to 1st.

This is the second time this has happened and all the tricks I tried last time when I was 100 miles away from home did not work this time.

The first time this happened I got it in gear and road the bike home and have been problem free for 3K miles.

Could someone please suggest the possible problem and suggest a solution?

Thanks in advance,

DS

"At first it would only go into First position or neutral. After fussing with the shifter for awhile and it felt like I was going through the gears, no joy when I got back to 1st."

Sounds like the shift arm mechanism isn't staying engaged with the shift drum, and is slipping off the drum pins and not allowing it to rotate fully, or at all. Can be caused by the shift arm being damaged due to a hard hit by the bike going down putting excess pressure on it, or the arm spring being damaged and/or has disengaged itself not allowing proper shirt arm tension on the drum pins.

All this is speculation, of course. The only way to know for sure would be to pull the bevel drive so you can access the shift mechanism.

FWIW - The transmission will not go into 2nd. gear when sitting still. The neutral finder prevents this as the rear wheel needs to be spinning.

Good luck with it.

For those who are interested, how the neutral finder works: https://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Kawasaki-Neutral-Finder-Process
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:37:56 am by connieklr »
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline DSamudio

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 12:31:52 pm »
Thank you Bob and Connieklr for responding so quickly.

After searching the forums last night I was afraid it was a spring arm. I also read about the side stand switch last night, but it was late and I would have disturbed the sleeping family if I would have started the engine.

I had an unknowing "id-10t" error just about the seat. I did not know about the side stand switch. This is my first motorcycle.

When I was taught to use the center stand I was taught to keep side stand down in case the bike tried to fall toward me.

Last night I had just hopped off the bike to move something and put the side stand down and of course no need to put the stand up because I was only moving a foot or so forward.  :-[

Last time this happened the bike was on an incline and nearly fell, so I.... put the side stand down.

This morning with the bike on the center stand, I climbed on the bike, lifted the side stand, started it up, dropped it in first gear, released the clutch and the engine continued to run and the back wheel spun. Shifted into second, third and back down no issues.

Problem solved.  ;)

Thanks every one for your help and patience.

DS

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 02:16:25 pm »
I dunno.

Some of the other symptoms you've described is telling me that something is going on in there.

Hope I'm wrong; only time will tell.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 3673
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 02:17:37 pm »
Just a note for future reference. For the Connie, (and most Kawi's) engine off, on centerstand, from first gear you generally have to manually move the rear wheel backwards and forward slightly to go through the gears using the gear shifter by hand. Other wise it just goes to neutral, and that's it. 

YMMV
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline DSamudio

• Tricycle
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 02:26:50 pm »
Thanks Victor,

That would match what I had happen.

With the side stand down, and on the center stand, I would put it into 1st, I would release the clutch, hear the engine start to die and grab the clutch again before the engine died.

This would cause the wheel to spin and then I could shift into second and repeat all the way up an down the gears because the wheel was slowly spinning.

DS

Offline DSamudio

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 03:02:51 pm »
I dunno.

Some of the other symptoms you've described is telling me that something is going on in there.

Hope I'm wrong; only time will tell.

Connieklr,

I also hope there is not a bigger problem.

Both times I had this problem, I know the side stand was involved.

The first time I had nearly dropped the bike because the road had a steep incline. I kept the side stand down because I only wanted to move a few feet to get onto flatter ground and in hind sight, I think the engine shut off because the side stand was down.

I remember getting off the bike and manually working the shifter. When I got back on the bike, I must have raised the side stand as I normally do without giving it a thought. The bike took off when I dropped the clutch.

I remember sweating every stop and every shift for the 100+ miles home and the next couple of rides.

I will be watching closely for the next couple of rides.

Thank you for the warning,

DS

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 05:12:46 pm »
"Both times I had this problem, I know the side stand was involved."

The side stand and it's associated safety switch have no connection what-so-ever with the mechanical goings-on of the transmission.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline DSamudio

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 06:05:18 pm »

The side stand and it's associated safety switch have no connection what-so-ever with the mechanical goings-on of the transmission.

I totally agree.

I did not know about the safety switch until a little after mid-night last night and without the knowledge of the safety switch even existing, my first conclusion was an issue with the mechanics of the gear box.

Very much a newbee mistake.

Heck, I'm trilled I did not screw up the oil and final drive oil change I just completed.   :)

DS

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 06:44:48 pm »

I totally agree.

I did not know about the safety switch until a little after mid-night last night and without the knowledge of the safety switch even existing, my first conclusion was an issue with the mechanics of the gear box.

Heck, I'm trilled I did not screw up the oil and final drive oil change I just completed.   :)

DS

:13:
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 06:45:51 pm »

I totally agree.

DS

:13:

Gotta start somewhere; we've all been there.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline Lee

• Scooter
  • COG#: 12558
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2019, 07:03:25 pm »
Yeah I had a momentary panic when first learning C10's ways. On centerstand transmission has a "feature" not allowing shifts.

Also have had side stand switch in need of plug contacts cleaned. Think symtom was motor died instantly on shift to first. Electrical not mechanical.

Both issues may play here. KAW manual I believe if memory serves explains both features.

Bye de bye, I to never move C10 around without side stand down. Figure if I lose it can always yank bike towards me to on sidestand and prevent any over correction and a "dropped today" issue. This really saved me once when I hit a slippery patch of carport and had my legs slide out from under me.