Author Topic: Stuck in Eugene -- gasoline leak from torn fuel hose. Much help received here.  (Read 517 times)

Offline LeeM

• Bicycle
  • Downshift downshift downshift upshift upshift upsh
    • Working on ways to save our asses.
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12454
  • Membership Level: Active
Part of this post is asking you if you live near Eugene, do you have a kit of vacuum petcock parts? I am in Creswell just south of Eugene, Oregon. My cell phone is 650 787-9618. I am optimistic by Wednesday August 7th I will come across a simple anticlimactic fix.

The second part of this story is I could just kick myself for not buying a vacuum petcock parts kit. My experience is when you suddenly change the  blend of gasoline, the fuel petcock starts leaking. It is summer time. There are a whole bunch of vacuum petcock trouble descriptions right below this post.

The third part of the story is: Don't tell my wife!

The fourth part of the story is, I am ordering a petcock from Murph's Kits and I am walking distance from a Napa Auto Parts, and a third item is the last time I had petcock problems ( the vacuum valve stuck shut, resulting in a no-start $100 tow home.. This time it acts like the vacuum valve diaphragm screws are loose. I bought a tank full of "special no ethanol premium" one  day ago. While cheerfully motoring along at 65 to 80 on a famous interstate, I felt a stinging on my left pants leg and I ran out of gas at 125 miles. This  afternoon, the leak is so  bad I paid for a tow (nice guys from Puddle Jumper Tow) because  actuating the starter could easily start a fire.

Now the fifth item, completely optional is a fun piece of music, partly about disappointment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rNhw5k1yMQ
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 03:40:21 am by LeeM »

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~25K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Stuck in Eugene, gasoline leak from vacuum petcock when engine starts
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 02:32:38 am »
I hope you find someone close by for assistance. But I doubt it is the change of blend that caused it. I have never heard or experienced that.

Offline HeavyRotation

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 13089
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 02:41:58 am »
Im in Eugene, but i don't have any C10 parts. Call Ramsey Waite service and ask Troy if he's got anything lying around. Enjoy scenic Cresswell.
I like sheds and ninjas.

Offline LeeM

• Bicycle
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 05:11:09 am »
Thanks for Randy Waite pointer, thanks for the comment. Creswell is an interesting place.

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 09:08:58 am »
I had that happen to me when visiting Gettysburg. Luckily there was a fellow cogger Russell who lived nearby who had a C10 and a C14 that traded me his petcock as long as I bought and sent one to him from Murphs. Great guy!
Have you tried running in prime position? You may have to plug the vacuum line on both ends so it doesn't open the petcock. Just be careful to put it back to on when you shut it down.
Not sure if the flow would be higher on prime setting and could cause flooding/hydrolock issue on extended use though. Does anyone have that flow differences info?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 09:14:59 am by Bob_C_CT »
Southern Connecticut.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline mgoodrich

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 4466
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 11:43:35 am »
From your description, it only leaks when a vacuum is applied?  Motor running?

Then what Bob_C_CT is suggesting by going to the prime position and plugging the vacuum line will work just fine.

I kind of hate to point this out, but from your your previous experience on having a struck valve, by going to the "prime" position on the petcock, this bypasses the valve assembly.  You wouldn't have needed the tow.

Offline m in sc

• Street Cruiser
    • 2strokeworld.net
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 13057
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 11:44:08 am »
if nothing else, when in a pinch like this in the future, take the diaphragm out, make a solid gasket and reinstall the plate. plug vacuum line,  and fit a briggs and stratton inline fuel cutoff to get you rolling, this will work fine in a pinch. this stuff should all be at the napa and cost less than 10 bucks for a roll or gasket material and the fuel valve. had to do this on an old GS once out in kansas. sucked but it got me where i needed to go.

I break stuff. I fix stuff. (rinse & repeat as necessary)

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • GOLD STAR
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 12:27:34 pm »
The diaphragm is torn.

Side of the road fix is EZ.
Over the years, I've had to do this temporary fix on my bike and another members bike..
Works great!

1) Pull off the vacuum line hose from the petcock and plug it with a stick or other...
  2) Use a bar of face soap, shave off a bit and wet it to make a putty to plug the holes, plug the vacuum port on the petcock with the soap.
     NOTE: If no water available, Spit works to make the putty, and Gasoline will not melt soap.
  Important; "Also" use the soap putty to plug the vent hole on the side of the petcock.
  3) Allow soap putty to set up a few minutes...
  4) Use the petcock as a std manual petcock; ie Turn the petcock valve to prime and crank the bike.
  5) Ride home with the petcock in the prime position.
   {When stopped, turn the valve back to run position to prevent hydrolock}.
  6) Problem solved.
           NOTE: Soap may need re-application if you ride thru a rainstorm.. (water DOES melt the soap)
  7) Do a petcock rebuild/replace after you get home.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 09:33:11 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline LeeM

• Bicycle
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 12:47:01 pm »
Thank you very much for the posts. Thanks also to M who phoned me from Illinois.

From the comments about using the prime position and shutting off the diaphragm I realize I don't understand how the valve plumbing works.
Thanks again for each comment.

Thinking it over after motel breakfast: Seems like turning the valve to prime connects tank to carburetors. Then the problem is to plug the vacuum hose and see if fuel still leaks from the seam of the diaphragm area. This is where soap or a sheet of gasket material goes if a leak exists when valve is at prime.

Plugging the diaphragm breather hole. I see where the soap is supposed to go. Well my favorite materials are 20 mil plumbers tape, and a #64 rubber band... or a couple plastic electrical ties. Really hold that plug in place. Pretty good for tapping away at my laptop in a motel room! Thanks again.

Got "no leak for now" wrapped the vacuum valve in black electrical tape, sealed carb vacuum hose with tape, cut off 1/2 " of fuel line due to too much wrenching and I got it starting with no leak.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 05:40:40 pm by LeeM, Reason: got it »

Offline connie_rider

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 01:26:30 pm »
Engine vacuum pulls on the diaphragm to unseat the valve and allow flow.
The seam of the petcock is not leaking. There is a vent hole at that seam.
All that is necessary is to find/plug that vent hole.

NOTE: It is possible to plug with soap while it is leaking, but may be easier to lay the tank on it's side and stop fuel leak before plugging.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline cra-z1000

• Sport Tourer
  • Keeping it upright..
  • COG#: 9790
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 08:31:16 pm »
The diaphragm is torn.

Side of the road fix is EZ.
Over the years, I've had to do this temporary fix on my bike and another members bike..
Works great!

1) Pull off the vacuum line hose from the petcock and plug it with a stick or other...
  2) Use a bar of face soap, shave off a bit and wet it to make a putty to plug the holes, plug the vacuum port on the petcock with the soap.
     NOTE: If no water available, Spit works to make the putty, and Gasoline will not melt soap.
  Important; "Also" use the soap putty to plug the vent hole on the side of the petcock.
  3) Allow soap putty to set up a few minutes...
  4) Turn the petcock valve to prime and crank the bike.
  5) Ride home with the petcock in the prime position.
   {When stopped, turn the valve back to run position to prevent hydrolock}.
  6) Problem solved.
           NOTE: Soap may need re-application if you ride thru a rainstorm.. (water DOES melt the soap)
  7) Do a petcock rebuild/replace after to get home.

Ride safe, Ted

Note to self .
Add 1 bar of hotel soap to toolbag  :beerchug:
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline connie_rider

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 08:56:54 pm »
 :great: :great: :great:
Err; There is another reason to carry soap on your bike... {hint/hint}   :rotflmao:
         Washy/washy

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 10:56:41 pm by connie_rider »

Offline Bud

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 09:17:48 pm »
Never heard of the soap "mod" before! ;D
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 10:16:39 pm »
it's basically the only reason I take all thoe "mini" bars of soap, from every hotel I stay in... I have a bazillion of them.... also great for writing insults on parking lot "hog'rs" windows, when the hog a space diagonally.. ride safe, have a great day, and soap up...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Bud

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 11:00:40 pm »
it's basically the only reason I take all thoe "mini" bars of soap, from every hotel I stay in... I have a bazillion of them.... also great for writing insults on parking lot "hog'rs" windows, when the hog a space diagonally.. ride safe, have a great day, and soap up...
:D :rotflmao:
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline LeeM

• Bicycle
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 03:38:24 am »
The gasoline tubing that runs from the vacuum valve to the carburetors had become torn at 3/8" inches from the end that goes down over the vacuum valve.

Why was it torn? I had been working on the engine before this trip, and I had grabbed the gas line with long nose pliers and then clamped the gas line with worm drive hose clamp.

Grabbing the fuel line with pliers weakened the hose. Then, after 500 miles of high speed riding allowed a gasoline leak to begin. As I tried to start the ride home, the gas hose had torn so much that every time I started the engine,  the vacuum fuel valve opened perfectly every time, and I saw gasoline dripping down.

Armed with a lot of advice from the COG comments here, I started working on the motorcycle in the motel parking lot. One of the pieces of advice that came to me by text message (I didn't read it until later) is to lift the rear of the Concours gas tank with a plastic soda bottle.  That would have enabled me to see the hose and see the hose damage.

I sealed up the vacuum gasoline valve and I sealed up the engine vacuum tube with 1/2 inch wide electrical tape. That valve was wrapped up like a mummy.
When I buttoned everything  up and turned the petcock lever on the vacuum valve, the gasoline began cascading out. What could possibly be wrong with the valve when it was sealed up tight? I pulled off the gasoline tubing one more time and I looked at the tubing by kneeling and looking up with a flashlight.

Bingo. Torn fuel tubing! The initial response by DC Concours (above) was in a very special way right! Meanwhile, as a mechanic I had spun up a theory that  assumed the fuel tubing was perfect. It wasn't I had damaged the fuel tubing and I couldn't see well enough to spot my own mistake.

One of my rules: Lee's law of mechanics: No matter what strange thing happens after working on a car (or motorcycle) look at what the last mechanic did. That is you, usually.

Offline Sailor Rich

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9318
Great photo Lee.

Offline Bud

• Sport Tourer
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline connie_rider

• GOLD STAR
I agree, great photo.

None of us thought about a torn hose either. From your posts, we all assumed that the problem was the leaking petcock.

I don't want to harp, "but: tape will fix a fuel leak only "temporarily" as the gas will melt the glue on the tape and it will leak again.
If you haven't already {?} replaced the bad portion of hose, you need to do so ASAP.
If no hose available, a fallback is seal the crack with Soap putty.

I know I'm sounding like a recording, but I've used the method and know it works.

Ride safe, Ted