Author Topic: 2004 C10 smoking heavily under acceleration  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Bikerman

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: 2004 C10 smoking heavily under acceleration
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2018, 03:47:59 pm »
OK, I'm recovered enough from my injury to get it on my lift again and start tearing into it this weekend. I'm actually looking forward to it as a mystery, and I'm hopeful, especially based on Steve's previous comments. Thanks again to all.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2018, 10:45:22 pm »
After recovering from my surgery today (injured myself moving the Connie yesterday, as I am kind of little and getting old....), I will give it a shot. Thank you again to everyone.

You ain't the only one getting too old to move a C10 around but I keep her around to remind me of the GREAT rides I have had with my C10. Wife gets a little jealous though !!
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Bikerman

• Tricycle
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2018, 01:05:02 pm »
Update: I pulled the valve cover yesterday and found a broken intake rocker arm on #3 (probably due to someone not properly tightening the adjuster lock nut) , a dropped intake valve in that same cylinder and what appears to be a hole in the piston (hard to see). The rest looks OK. I am pulling the head today for a better look. Looks like used parts are plentiful and cheap, making an top-end repair (used loaded head, poss. cylinders and a piston) in my future. If anyone wants to make me a great deal on those parts, please let me know!     

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2018, 01:50:34 pm »
 I know it's a crap shoot but plenty of used parts here.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/171107/i.html?_nkw=kawasaki+zg1000&_from=R40

Good luck. Hope you get her back on the road again.  :great:
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2018, 06:26:43 pm »
Let's not forget COG's own Jerry http://forum.cog-online.org/profile/?u=40419 Gaither.....aka The Wizard.  If he doesn't have it, he'll help you find one.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline Bikerman

• Tricycle
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2018, 02:39:17 am »
Progress to date: the top end is torn down. It was actually pretty easy after all the Tupperware came off. I think removing the carbs was acrually harder than the motor work so far.

Head and cylinders are off, #3 intake rocker is broken, #3 intake and exhaust valves are wiped out as well as the head in that same cylinder. #3 piston has a hole. #3 cylinder has extremely minor scarring that should hone out with minor loss of material, not over-bore. All missing bits found in strainer when I dropped the pan. Cams look good, as do the connecting rods, other cylinders and pistons. Crank case flushed with kerosene a couple of times with nothing else coming out.

-Bought a used head and piston off of a 93' for $40 shipped. 18K miles. Lots of 86' heads out there; I avoided due to weak valve issues.
-Bought new base and head gaskets for $35 by shopping the deals on-line. OEM and Cometic
-Bought OEM new rings for #3 piston for $26, stock size as I am not going to over-bore
-New circlips for the piston were $2.99

Amazingly, I think I will have the top end repaired and get the old girl back together for under $200 inc. fluids. A worthy winter project for sure, as our riding weather is now officially over.

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2018, 02:45:03 pm »
Sweet!
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2018, 05:34:08 pm »
Sounds really promising.
Where did you find the gaskets for such a low price?
I thought a head gasket cost far more that that..

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2018, 07:59:06 pm »
... #3 piston has a hole. #3 cylinder has extremely minor scarring that should hone out with minor loss of material, not over-bore. ...

-Bought a used head and piston off of a 93' for $40 shipped. 18K miles. ...

-Bought OEM new rings for #3 piston for $26, stock size as I am not going to over-bore
-New circlips for the piston were $2.99

Amazingly, I think I will have the top end repaired and get the old girl back together for under $200 inc. fluids. A worthy winter project for sure, as our riding weather is now officially over.

when you get to putting this all back in, make sure to closely measure all the stuff, with proper measuring tools, piston/rings/cylinder (before-during-and after the hone), and specifically the "new" rings end gaps... they will likely need to be filed/adjusted to achieve the proper gap...this is common when new rings are purchased, and very necessary; also the orientation and inspection of the pistons ring grooves/placement of the new rings...
That one step means a great deal between success and pain on a rebuild.

best of luck

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2018, 10:23:16 pm »
If you run the back tire onto a board it is easier to put the thing on the center stand. There is a video floating around where a guy put a C10 on the center stand in his bare feet. Heal quickly because it sounds like a real PITA.  ;)   
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki